Official Diet & Exercise Tips Thread

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Derek, Jun 24, 2010.

1. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I don't know how I messed up the math in the last post, but it was wrong.

My max lifts are 185 bench, 245 squat, and 300 deadlift at 155lbs body weight. I've cut a lot of weight over the last year and got quite a bit stronger despite not actually lifting that often or hard. I've been working on getting faster and more functional as a sprinter/runner/athlete and got lazy regarding my strength training. I'm a little disappointed with myself because there's no reason I can't do both simultaneously, but I'm continually working on improving my internal motivation. Doing really hard sprint workouts and then going to the gym afterwards just wasn't going to happen on my weaker willpower days.

Anyways, the math should have been:

Bench x 1.3 = Squat
    Bench x 1.6 =Deadlift
    Squat x 1.2 = Deadlift

I think those are pretty standard ratios.

My goals for strength workouts are to lift each major group (legs, chest, back) at least twice a week. I have legs/back 3 times a week and chest/shoulders 2 times. Biceps/triceps are once a week, but fuck those things. At least one really heavy, low rep workout to stimulate the central nervous system and at least one light, high rep workout to induce hypertrophy and muscle growth. In reality my average was probably once a week for each major muscle group over the last year. Damnit!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  2. TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

There's a typo on the website I get my supps from that says I can buy a 3000KG (AKA 3,000,000 grams) tub of Creatine for £71 ($107) :lol:

3. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

That weighs more than a car. That'd last you awhile.

4. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Recently I realized that pretty much everyone in my class was in better shape than me, so I felt inspired to change that. I'm far from "overweight" or whatever, I weigh 84.5kg and am 192cm tall. Okay, I'm not overweight at all. I have a bit of a belly that I wish was flat. After I went bike riding for about 10 miles with my friends a few weeks ago I got home and said "I'm gonna lose some weight and start exercising". And surprisingly, I started in that very moment. That day I also cut out soda, chips, chocolate, anything unhealthy for me - including my 10:30am school lunch which I've been eating regularly for the past 10 years. Just flat out quit. I've been feeling a lot better this past week, less tired and more inspired to do something with my life, so I'm definitely digging that. The problem is being hungry. I don't "starve myself" as people often say, but I've cut down a lot these days. That means no more sandwiches for dinner, absolutely no bread whenever, and all my daytime snacks became fruit. I'm also completely out of ideas on what to eat for breakfast. I don't have a lot of options but I feel like I have to stop eating tea cookies and butter. Any suggestions on that would be welcome. For lunch I have whatever my mom cooks, as it usually is some combo of meat/fish/vegetables/soup, and I think all of that is healthy. For dinner I eat whatever's left over from lunch with some boiled eggs or cheese.

So I guess my final question is - is what I'm doing good? Or do I need to make changes to some part of this?

5. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

I've been having cereal with whatever fruit I have, and my new favorite breakfast dish. It's a tortilla, with peanut butter, a little nutella, and honey, with bannannas or strawberries inside of it. So good :wub:

Sounds good what you're doing. I had a really similar "oh shit I need to be healthy" phase a few months ago and was in a similar situation to yours. I've been getting lazy about it recently (working out less), and I need to get my shit together. Motivation is tough sometimes. But since that realization moment I feel much healthier, and I look a bit more fit than I did before

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  6. TobinKnowsBest

Good quality porridge. Not always the favourite of everybody, but just soldier through it an the benefits will be seen. Add a little fruit to it too (blueberries/strawberries go well).

7. Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

Or add apple, raisins and cinnamon. Tastes pretty good!

Edit: I've also been eating 0% fat yogurt with fruit (usually banana), oat flakes, seeds and a bit of honey in the morning.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  8. TobinKnowsBest

Also, Filip - what exercise are you thinking of doing? Running? Going to the gym?

Either way (without trying to sound too cliche) if you stay committed, you will be shocked at how fast results come :)

9. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I'm not gonna go to the gym for now for a variety of reasons, but I've started running and I plan to do all those classic home exercises (push ups, squats, whatnot) at some point. I don't wanna start doing everything at once like I usually do, and end up qutting after a week. I'll rather take it slow.

10. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

I'll be in with you on the diet too. I'm not gonna go as hardcore as you. I mostly just gonna limit what I eat, get rid of most if not all junk foods, and try to choose healthier things to eat. I know I'm not that fat, I'm 6 foot and weigh 150 pounds, but I'm just not satisfied nor comfortable with myself. But I am gonna rely mostly on physical training to lessen weight cause it will help me with my fitness for soccer next year.

11. TobinKnowsBest

I am the complete opposite of you two, I'm aiming to put on weight! :lol:

12. gambir

gambir Member

Any Healthy Breakfast Recipe any one shared here please...

Healt Issues

13. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Yup, been eating healthier and a lot less due to IBS and stomach sickness. However, I started taking vitamin d supplements and it's helped treat IBS significantly. If anyone has bowel problems, try vitamin d foods and supplements sometime.

Can't speak for exercise. I'm not in a great place to do that right now.