Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid, Apr 10, 2014.

1. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

2. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Yeah. She's said as much on the show. If you ask me, it's weakened her character to let something like that bother her to the point of becoming an extremely unlikeable character. That doesn't seem like something that should bother May at all, yet it does, and as far as I'm concerned, it's ruined her character for now.

I was thinking about that based on the mock-up comic book cover we got featuring FitzSimmons confronting him. I just hope it doesn't mean they're going to die, because I'll be seriously upset.

edit —

The last poster for the season:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  3. Will

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., as well as Agent Carter, have both been renewed for new seasons (third for Agents, second for Agent Carter).

Additionally, ABC's canceled its plans for its Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. spinoff show, which would've followed Barbara "Bobbi" Morse, aka Mockingbird, and Lance Hunter.

4. The Joesen One

I'm kinda glad the spinoff didn't go through. Mockingbird and Hunter added a lot more to the show in terms of action, mystery and humor, and it'll suck if they (as well as talented writer Paul Zbyzewski) would leave so quickly.

I hope Agent Carter would improve next season, even though I'm unsure about Michele Fazekas and Tara Butters carrying a series, since their track record has been so-so at best (their finale was pretty ok only).

5. polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

Wait, that last poster, are those the terrigen crystals? I'm intrigued.

6. The Joesen One

Yes they are.

Also:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/08/agents-shield-season2-finale-spoilers

“Bobbi doesn’t like needles.”

“Mack has an axe.”

“Casualties of war.”

“Coulson is going to lose something important.”

“Fitz and Simmons have a talk.”

[video=youtube;A-usiqW86fQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-usiqW86fQ[/video]

7. Will

Here's the first promo poster for season three:

[​IMG]

8. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Seems that Jiaying planned that whole attack and Cal was in on it as well. She rallys the Inhumans to take on SHIELD on the front lines while Cal finally goes Mister Hyde and rips them up from the inside. It's a shame they won't win because SHIELD sucks.

9. polleo

I can't be the only one who thinks Shield is getting better at character development or storytelling. They've taken their half-baked characters like Ward, Jemma, Leo and Skye and turned them into something a lot more substantial. Unlike Hydra, who were mostly just bad guys, we've seen things from the Inhumans' perspective. Besides, there's a third season of shield. So, I don't know, I am excited for the season finale.

10. The Joesen One

11. Will

12. The Joesen One

Based on the recaps I've been reading, that was one hell of a finale.

Also, I think it's the closest thing we'd get to a Terrigen bomb.

13. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

That was one HELL of a finale! The amount of times this episode made me feel things is too damn high! :lol: At the end of the episode, I was so glad to see that they were finally getting Fitz-Simmons together, but NOOOOOOO. Simmons has to be swallowed up by the big Kree rock! Damn you S.H.I.E.L.D. writers! :lol: I really hope that's a plotline that gets resolved quickly in season 3. And AoS basically doing Secret Warriors? YAAASS.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  14. The Joesen One

I'm excited for Ward to finally become the show's main antagonist. Also, I hope Ian Quinn and Graviton show up next season. It makes sense to battle Graviton with superheroes, especially with Secret Warriors. Also, it's JUST IN TIME with the new Uncanny Inhumans comics. :lol:

More interviews!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05...ucer-on-the-big-events-of-the-season-2-finale
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-simmons-fate-season-794933?facebook_@0150512
    http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/age...kye-caterpillars-simmons-season-3-1201494067/

15. polleo

That was fucking intense. So many many things happened, I don't even know where to begin. Wow. Barely any of the scenes were filler to me, so much stuff was going on. Jeez.

That was a great finale IMO. I guess I'm lame, but I was pretty overwhelmed by the whole thing. I hope, shield follows this rate of development and gets better and better.

16. The Joesen One

Ward's fans in Twitter are insanely mad right now because Ward didn't have a redemption arc, didn't rejoin the team, had Agent 33 killed and realigned with Hydra. :rofl:

17. polleo

That's funny because I've read plenty of comments on AV club hating on the fact that Ward was always portrayed as a goodish guy till this episode and that his redemption still seemed possible. Two sides, I guess. To be honest, I think Ward's gonna be a big villain for a few episodes in season 3 and cause some big damage like he always does and then he dies at someone's hand . But then, the writers have said in some interviews that writing Ward is ''fun''. That scares me honestly.

BTW, how does he know that shield's responsible and that he needs revenge? He didn't know May tricked Agent 33. That part of the plot doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  18. The Joesen One

He happened to see "May" and found an opportunity to kill her; Agent 33 didn't inform Ward ahead of time that she'll be in disguise.

According to the interviews I've read, he's technically partially responsible, but his continual denial (his parents, his abusive past, Garrett, etc) of responsibility leads him to believe that Coulson's team is the reason why she's dead and he's out to get revenge.

19. Will

Oh. My. Gods.

This was one of the best season finales I've seen in a long time. It was a little disappointing the entire thing wasn't action-packed, but then again, I'm not sure why I expected it to be.

All my thoughts will be sort of out of order because I'm going to write about them as I think about them.

I'm glad Mack's staying on the team. I'm not sure what sort of opinion I ever had about him before (I can't remember if I've ever expressed one) but he really impressed me this episode. He was fantastic. Jumping back into action and helping Skye and then putting his life on the line to guard the crystals and then fighting Gordon with Coulson and Fitz – he endeared himself to me with all of that. It was spectacular. When he was first introduced I'd held out hope that we'd find out he was actually Luke Cage under an alias, but now we know that's not the case. But this character development's just as good for me. I hope he's a larger and more integral part of the team next season.

Speaking of the fight scene with Gordon, I can't imagine how long that took to film. It was choreographed fantastically and everything about it was awesome. Honestly... I think the only thing that would've made it better would've been making it last a bit longer. I understand with a scene like that one can't make it last too long or you'll start to lose what little realism the scene has to begin with but it still felt like it ended too abruptly; although now that I type that out, that might've been what the director was going for, because I certainly didn't see it ending so quickly at all.

I'm glad it was Cal who killed Jiaying in the end. I don't think Skye could've lived with herself had she done it even though she said she wouldn't hesitate and said she'd do what needed to be done. I find it hard to believe she'd have been "OK" no matter how much she might've told herself she was alright. Plus I thought it was a really cool way to tie up Cal's storyline insofar as redemption was concerned. His life's goal was protecting his family and he finally saw through Jiaying's garbage and protected Skye from her in the end. I thought that was fantastic. I was a little sad that he was put through T.A.H.I.T.I. at the end as I was hoping he'd come back as an "asset" in season three as Mister Hyde proper. It's a shame we never got to see a full transformation into Mister Hyde, although since his character wasn't killed or incarcerated, I'd like to believe he'll be back at some point, although I think that's kind of unlikely. And on that note, I thought Kyle McLachlan absolutely killed it as Cal the entire season and he was extremely fun to watch. The performance was a little over-the-top but that's exactly what was called for. I think he deserves some sort of award (Emmy?) for his performance. It was amazing and hands-down the best acting on the show all season.

Speaking of Jiaying, I thought her murder of Raina was a bit unceremonious. I've hated Raina's character ever since she transformed but even she didn't deserve to be stabbed in the neck like that. I thought that was horrible. Edit: After reading some other peoples' opinions, I realized Raina knew she wasn't going to survive her encounter with Jiaying. She told Skye she'd never speak to her again, but that she'd reveal the darkness to her, and that's exactly what happened. Damn. /edit

I was really hoping Coulson would ask Skye what she'd like to be called at the end of the episode in reference to her real name (Daisy) and the name she gave herself (Skye). I was really hoping she'd respond with simply, "Quake." I thought that would've been not only hilarious because of what Coulson's reaction would've been, but also I think it would've cemented her firm acceptance of being an enhanced individual. I'm hoping they give her the name Quake at some point next season, and I hope they also clarify what we're supposed to call her now. There's no one left to call her Daisy, but she might want to hold onto that anyway. We'll see.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s setting Ward up to become Taskmaster and I think that's absolutely fucking amazing. I really hope that's the direction they're going with his character and I think it'll also help expand the show into the movie universe more and more. I don't know if we'll ever truly know what Ward was planning with Kara (I still think he was using her for something but also genuinely had feelings for her much in the same way he did with Skye) but the fact that he's using her death as motivation's going to be an awesome plot element for the next season. I'm kind of hoping with General Ross being reintroduced in Civil War that the Thunderbolts become a thing and that Ward/Taskmaster are somehow involved. Oh, it makes me giddy just thinking about it. I've seen a few people against this, based on the fact that Taskmaster doesn't remember his past because every time he learns something new, he forgets something about his past, to the point where he remembers next-to-nothing about his past anyway; well, this could work out for Ward in a way, when you consider the fact that he doesn't seem to remember that everything he's done and all of the consequences have been wrought by him and (practically) by him alone. I think he's slowly forgetting who's inside his own head and I think that's a great way to introduce Taskmaster into the MCU. And let's face it, it's not like he's going to be running Hydra. If anything, he's going to eventually meet up with one of the new "heads" of Hydra some time during the season; he's not going to run Hydra himself.

I still hate May. I don't know why, but I think her character's absolutely garbage. I loved her in the first season, but it's like the more they deconstructed her personality in season two, the less I liked her. I don't know if it's Wen's performance as May that I don't like or what. All I know's that I don't like May. At all.

FitzSimmons – ah, where to begin? I think Fitz's finally coming back; toward the end of the season, he was a lot less broken and a lot more take-charge, which was great. His camaraderie with Simmons was slowly working its way back to being what it was pre-Ward-ruining-everything. I think the reason he didn't want to talk about what he'd said at the bottom of the ocean with Simmons was because if something did happen to her, he didn't want her to be completely and utterly broken by it. I was also really pleased that Simmons became more of a take-charge character as well. I'm freaking out trying to think of what that Kree stone thing could've possibly been, and what it means for Simmons' character, but I've got nothing. Some people are suggesting it's a Kree version of a symbiote, which might be possible; others are suggesting it's some sort of monolith planted by Celestials, but since practically nothing's known about the monolith, this seems unlikely; others are suggesting it's a Kree sentry, which was left on the planet by the Kree to monitor the progress of their Inhuman-making and whatnot; some people are suggesting Simmons'll emerge essentially unhurt but she'll have powers bestowed upon her, foreshadowing what happens to Carol Danvers in Captain Marvel, with one suggestion going so far as to say, if it's indeed a Kree sentry, it's alerted the Kree that a biological entity has been absorbed by it, and they'll send Mar-Vell to investigate, which might actually set up the events of Captain Marvel; still others are saying it's Graviton, which doesn't make any sense, because I don't think it's likely that the Inhumans knew about him and S.H.I.E.L.D. would've known that's what it was. The possibilities at this point are endless, but I think we can all agree on one thing: It better not mean the end of Simmons. I <3 her.

One of the biggest problems I've got with the finale's the only real blatant plot hole I've noticed so far: the fact that Coulson and S.H.I.E.L.D. left the cases of terrigen crystals in the ocean. That makes no sense. Regardless of whether or not they'd have "been better off where no one can get them or where no one knows where they are," the fact that they did leave them down there doesn't make any sense and just doesn't sit well with me. There's no way they could've known the water would've eventually started dissolving the crystals, but there's also no way they could've known the cases wouldn't have broken open. The fact that no one was sent to retrieve them just seems like a ridiculous thing to me. And I've already seen a lot of people complaining about the fact that it's fish oil. Look, it affected the fish, right? There're a lot more products that come from fish than just fish oil, like the fish themselves, which are served at restaurants and in grocery stores and blah-blah-blah. There're going to be a lot of deaths from this, but I've got a feeling there's going to be a lot more powered people showing up next season based solely on the amount of fish-based products that're going to be ending up out there in the world. I think it's Marvel's way of introducing Inhumans at large since they can't use mutants. Sure, there were always going to be Inhumans in the world already, but this'll unlock far more. And you can bet your ass it'll be a huge plot element next season, the team trying to figure out what the hell's going on.

I can see how the end of the episode would've set up the Mockingbird/Hunter spinoff show, which I'm glad isn't happening. I think I mentioned it somewhere, but I still think their intention was for Mockingbird to remove herself from "active duty" as a field agent and moving out to California to start the West Coast Avengers just as she did in the comics, except instead of starting the WCA with Hawkeye (her husband in the comics), she'd start it with Hunter. Then, later, she'd get the itch to get back into the field, and she'd go out as Mockingbird proper instead of just Agent Bobbi Morse. Then, since he's based on a character from the comics, Hunter could've left for England to form S.T.R.I.K.E., which is England's version of S.H.I.E.L.D., just as he does in the comics. I thought that would've been cool, but I'm glad they're not doing it at the moment. I still maintain neither Mockingbird nor Hunter are strong enough characters to carry a show on their own, but they're fantastic with Coulson and his team.

Speaking of Coulson, him losing his hand was hilarious. As soon as his arm started crumbling, you knew it was going to happen, and when Big Mack whacked him, I'm not going to lie, I laughed. I don't know why I thought it was so funny but I did. I thought Coulson was strong all season and he was at his best when the council installed him as the director proper once Coulson's S.H.I.E.L.D. and Rodriguez's S.H.I.E.L.D. started working together again. I don't know if we ever got to find out what was in Fury's toolbox (I know Theta Protocol was the helicarrier but I find it hard to believe that's the only thing that was in there) so I hope they address it next season.

And although they didn't come right out and say it, it's pretty clear to me that Raina was right: Skye's going to be "their" leader, and "their" refers to the Secret Warriors, which'll include the remaining Inhumans (including motherfucking Lincoln, who a lot of people are predicting to become Nitro) and Deathlok. They're going to be their own subdivision under S.H.I.E.L.D. and I think that's going to be just oh-so-amazing. I can't wait.

edit —

Some more thoughts on the Kree monolith:

It's been pointed out that the monolith didn't liquefy unless there were Inhumans nearby, so the fact that it liquefied when it engulfed Simmons... it's weird, and doesn't quite make sense. Some people are suggesting, as I pointed out before, that it's a Kree sentry, left by the Kree to monitor the Inhumans they were creating, and those same people (I'm being hyperbolic here) have suggested that it's "chosen" Simmons – for what, we won't know until season three.

And Lizzie Hentstridge's coming back for season three so we know she'll emerge from the monolith at some point, but if she's changed or whatever, that remains to be seen. Some people are claiming it's going to turn her into an Inhuman killing machine, as in, she's going to go around with an insatiable bloodlust for Inhumans, eradicating and exterminating them, which happened earlier in the season when ol' Blue Man Group showed up and the Lady Sif had to help bring him in. Still others are suggesting she's merely going to gain powers from it foreshadowing Carol Danvers, as I said, which would be super cool.

She (Hentstridge) and Chloe Bennett have tweeted about the folder Skye's holding at the end and how one of the tabs's labeled "Caterpillars," which was a superhuman group lead by Daisy Johnson as part of the Secret Warriors comics arc; some are suggesting Simmons will end up being the MCU version of a character from one of the Caterpillar teams, likely Lauren Wolfe, who was a shapeshifter, and given that the monolith transformed its state, it adds up.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  20. The Joesen One

*Gonzales, not Rodriguez.

Anyways, you guys should check out the SHIELD comics, which incorporates Coulson, May, Simmons and Fitz into the Marvel universe. I've got all the issues so far, and it's a whole lot of fun.

New (vague as hell) synopsis for season 3

http://marvel.com/news/tv/24601/fir..._of_shield_marvels_agent_carter#ixzz3a7PLVI9I

I hope Henry Simmons is promoted as a regular. He's appeared in every episode this season, and it'll suck if they off him next season.

Last edited: May 14, 2015