Before Linkin Park?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Rikishi, Jun 2, 2015.

Rikishi

Rikishi Banned

Most nu-metal? A journey of a thousand suns and the like? Of night and stone, soft style akin minutes to midnight?

I think that sweet jump in the mix and then attention to their ears. Others feel the minutes to midnight, this is my favorite Linkin Park album. I want to buy time don't make me wait 10 years! The team needs to take a step back and re-program the way of writing, as they will get stale if repeat mistake of three last albums.

What do you think?

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Firstly, I think that this is precisely what the band is doing right now. Secondly, many people have been begging for the band members to return to side-projects, if not just to break from Linkin Park period, for years now.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Yeah, before Lincoln Perk!!

[​IMG]

Pay-per-cut

Pay-per-cut Well-Known Member

I really don't know that much about music, but I believe that Rick Rubin played a big role in the band's success post their 1st two albums. Wasn't Living Things the first album that Mike had most control over and then The Hunting Party self produced? I think they still need a bit more time in terms of experimenting, but even through all that, I like the direction they are going.

That being said, however, I can agree that they should take a break from the band and go explore on side projects for a year or two so they can come back to the table with even more ideas.

polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

To be honest, as far as instrumentals go, Linkin Park are always catchy to me. I think Chester and Mike should stop shooting in the dark vaguely and write more coherent lyrics. I know I keep mentioning this but I just wish.

And I'd rather they not do their side-projects. I feel like by Side projects, you guys just mean fort minor. I mean, Chester was working with STP even when Linkin Park had plans right? And people on these boards rarely seem to be excited by Chester + STP (Or whatever its properly called)'s new material and seem to talk mostly about the tours. Other than that, there's Joe's film stuff. Unless you guys mean that too, why don't you just say fort minor or something else Mike related instead of "side-projects"? Sorry if I misunderstood that.

I think Mike's better in Linkin Park than solo so I'd rather not they take a break for side-projects.

minuteforce

It's not about how excited I would be, though, because I don't really like STP's music and I'm not sure how to feel about new FM music - it's about what I feel would benefit the band members most. Creatively, they might be a bit stifled right now, and Chester doing stuff with STP and Shinoda doing side-project might reinvigorate them, while a break from Linkin Park in general might benefit everyone.

The wait during a decent-length break might help fans get more excited for new Linkin Park music, even.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

I agree that the only element lacking in Linkin Park's music at the moment is the lyrics. How you get such poetic and vibrant verses in A Line In The Sand and then have a chorus that sounds at home in Meteora is beyond me. The Hunting Party is a mixed bag for lyrics because of this.

minuteforce

Another side-project phase might prompt a significant shift in lyrical quality for Linkin Park's music. :) I say this only because it happened with "Midnight"

Atticus

Definitely. The more songwriting experience these guys get, the better the outcome. I still haven't had my fill of The Hunting Party so let them experiment all they want with side projects. Let's get Brad doing that folk album we've all been clamouring for since Until It Breaks too while we're at it.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

I never wanted such a folk album :ninja:

Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

I agree. I really wouldn't mind a longer wait if it would give us something of ATS quality.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Again, like it has been stated plenty of times, THP is an album inspired by LP's punk rock/metal roots, the lyrics were never meant to sound pretty. That's the way that style of music is written. It was never meant to be another ATS.

TEGCRocco

TEGCRocco The LPL Invader

They can still say that they didn't like the lyrics. No, it was never meant to have the best lyrics, but if they were looking for great lyrics, and didn't get them, they have every right to say that was an aspect to the album that disappointed them.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Wait, what...? What is this thread about? :lol:

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Who is this "we" that you speak of?

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

You realize that was one of the notable aspects to punk rock and metal back in the 90s, right? Its almost the equivalent to saying you don't like a rock album because it contains guitars. If they don't like the lyrics, its just not entirely their taste in music.

TEGCRocco

TEGCRocco The LPL Invader

I'm well aware of that. My point still stands though. It's also not the equivalent of saying you don't like a rock album because it contains guitars. There are lyrics on THP that are stellar. Songs like Rebellion, Mark The Graves, Final Masquerade, and A Line In The Sand all have incredible lyrics. The whole "90s mentality" thing won't excuse songs like Until It's Gone, which still has some of the worst lyrics to date from Linkin Park. You're right in the sense that the songs weren't meant to have poetic lyrics. It'd be like expecting a song like Burning In The Skies to have screaming and aggressive, nonsensical lyrics. However, it's still a valid complaint that people have. I went into this album full knowing that it'd be akin to 90s punk/metal. However, I was still disappointed at times with the lyrical content, especially after hearing the second half of the album.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

I honestly, I have no fucking clue :lol:
    I'll just continue with what everyone is talking about, because at least they are making sense.

Anyways, I kinda agree that they should take a break and maybe pursue side projects and other stuff, maybe even go on a huge tour? I feel like taking a good break could help spark creativity inside them and in a couple years or so they could come in with a fresh, open mind when making LP7. It could have similar effects that the break did with Minutes to Midnight (as others have stated earlier).

But who knows, maybe the band already has a clear image on what they want to do with the next album and maybe they'll release another album next year. I don't really care as long as they are bringing us a quality album.

Atticus

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing The Hunting Party - it's far and away my dream Linkin Park album come to life. But if there were to be a weakness, it would be some of the lyrical choices.

Has this entire forum undergone widespread amnesia? Maybe not recently, but there was a time (around Living Things cycle) when everyone was praising Brad's performance and wished to hear more in a traditional side project. I guess I'm just imagining things.

minuteforce

Wait, you don't remember?