LPTV: A LINE IN THE SAND Live Debut

Discussion in 'News' started by Zane, Jun 4, 2015.

GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

So....Who was watching who?

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

As you said, opinions. MTG, imo, comes off as 5 minutes of: a minute and half boring ass intro, typical LP lyrics, lame chorus, typical Mike/Chester hamonies, lame bridge break down and if you wanna complain about Chester having a weak performance, I'd reconsider your words. I don't think you've heard the acapella for MTG. The final bit sounds like he's gonna suffocate before he can finish, and was likely left as it was because the instrumental drowns it out. KTTK on the other hand has one of the most intense choruses LP has ever delivered, and if you're gonna complain about Chester's voice crack, I am almost 100% certain that Mike and the others chose that specific take because the crack sounds like ear candy to many, its not like Chester recorded it once, fucked up, and they said that's a wrap. Similarly to ALITS, its pretty much a song that has just about every element that makes up LP and displays it in such a way that successful balances itself out as music rather than just a mash up of "loud stuff".

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Yo, can you two take this to PM or something? It's so unrelated to the original post :lol:

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Maybe. But both would be worse than the studio versions for sure and, for us who pay attention, that'd be very noticeable.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

That whole bit is inserted completely out of context, they're discussing the transition between two songs (Brad obviously doesn't change guitars during ALITS). Based on the "flam/crash ending" thing Rob's describing, it's probably the transition between Given Up and One Step Closer (with the shortened set at Rock in Rio, those two songs were paired back-to-back when they normally aren't).

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

I love this band to death but it always cracks me up seeing them rehearse. Guys, your songs aren't that hard to play. Rob's drums are by far the most difficult thing to play properly on most LP records, especially on the THP. Most intermediate guitar players who play a lot of rock could listen to ALITS and easily guess what's up/downstrokes, hammer ons etc. Love the video but seriously LP lol. The struggle is real.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

Wow.
    Some people here seem to have super powers. :rolleyes:
    Being able to create a hypothetical world where the band plays KTTK and MTG and being able to judge their performance is truly amazing.

On topic: I like A Line In The Sand live, but it's just such a long song. And at the moment I am not a fan of their setlist but I am glad that we are hearing something new at least.

minuteforce

Damn straight.

#trilluminati #purpleswag ▲▲▲

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Lol, doesn't mean you just wing it. And it's more than just playing the songs. It's also learning the song order, the transitions, etc. Every band needs to reverse. :rolleyes:

Justin V.

Oh I get it. I've been in plenty of bands. It's just funny hearing them say "I think I played it like this" when people like Astat can pretty much play the whole discography in their sleep. I'm not talking about the finer details of running a set top to bottom. As a musician I just eye roll a little when I see them trying to work out easy ass guitar parts haha. Things like Rob coming in fast is a pretty common thing for drummers when playing live. You usually have to tell them to calm it down a bit.

I think Brad was being nice to Mike because it's completely obvious that the part I'd downstrokes with pull-offs or just sliding to the next note. I think he didn't want to be a dick about it.

I'm not like extremely bothered by it, I just love that veteran musicians really have the same exact problems as fledgling bands. The more things change the more they stay the same lol.

minuteforce

I'm not a guitarist nor a drummer but those moments really humanise the band members for me.

I'd love to see footage of them using Live and setting up the sample banks but I guess only I would really appreciate a glimpse into that side of things

Justin V.

They really do. A lot of great bands I've seen live have an almost machine like quality to the show. Entertaining, but not really fast and loose. I can only imagine how many months are spent with "uh...." moments like these to get to that point.

I would totally watch hours and hours of setup and live prep. Seeing the BTS for Glitch Mob's new show was gnarly. They are pushing Live to its limit and their sound routing is too crazy. I mean, I still wonder what the hell Joe does for most of the stuff. I need full rig rundown on what he's doing back there.

TEGCRocco

TEGCRocco The LPL Invader

Same! With this new live rig LP has, I'd love to see a more in depth look as to how they have everything set up. Especially Joe, as we never really get to see much of how his stuff works.

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

A Line in the Sand is one of the best songs LP has ever made.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

PLEASE

Wait really?

Chester's voice on MTG is nothing special? That's probably the best or second best I have ever heard his voice!

But I don't like his voice on KTTK so we must have different tastes.

AMEN!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015