Marvel Cinematic Universe — Phase III

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Will, May 7, 2015.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Based on the ever-leaking set photos from Civil War, I've got a theory on how the Superhuman Registration Act becomes an issue:

So far a lot of the leaked set photos seem to have scenes placed in some sort of African environment, which I'm going to assume at this point is Wakanda. I'm guessing the Avengers are visiting Wakanda to discuss the vibranium with T'Challa when Crossbones initiates an attack on the African nation, which sets the events of the film in motion. I'd imagine this happens fairly early in the movie, perhaps directly after the funeral scenes which were shot earlier this week (which were pretty obviously for Peggy Carter). Once the events are set in motion, T'Challa, who doesn't know it was Crossbones who attacked, assumes it was the Avengers, and demands justice from the U.S. government. This could possibly even turn out to be a worldwide thing, and not just U.S.-based.

Will

Following news earlier in the week confirming that Matthew McConaughey has read several Marvel Studios scripts for films based in the MCU (as well as DC scripts), a rumor states that Marvel's eyeing McConaughey for the role of Norman Osborn in the new Spider-Man films.

I think he'd be a great choice for Osborn. Plus we could see him in some scenario in which he steals the U.S. government's Iron Patriot suit and becomes the Iron Patriot proper like he did in the comics, as opposed to James Rhodes, who's never been the Iron Patriot, only War Machine and Iron Man. And since Marvel's bringing back General Ross, we could finally see the Thunderbolts form in the MCU.

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

I just want Chloe Bennet confirmed for Inhumans.

Will

On the one hand, I'd be surprised if the characters from S.H.I.E.L.D. never make it (back) into the films. I'd love to see cameos from them in Civil War, even if it's just during a montage of sorts: One scene shows the characters from S.H.I.E.L.D. infighting; the next scene shows the characters from Hell's Kitchen infighting – I think that'd be really cool. I'm hoping we do start seeing them in the films proper, because to believe that it's just essentially Fury and Maria Hill running everything's just absurd.

But on the other hand, I'd be surprised if they're ever including in the films or even referenced at all. Even though the show's building up the Inhumans (too far ahead of schedule, as far as I'm concerned), I can see the films completely ignoring them and acting as though they'd never existed. We've been lead to believe the shows and the films exist in the same universe, but so far, the shows reference the films far more than the films reference the shows. I'm starting to worry that Joss Whedon was right, and that the shows and the films aren't as connected as we were lead to believe.

Then again: The tie-in between S.H.I.E.L.D. and Age of Ultron was absolutely huge, even if it doesn't seem like it was on first glance. That's why I'm holding out hope that the S.H.I.E.L.D. characters will start to trickle into the films throughout Phase III – and it wouldn't make any sense if they weren't in Infinity War, even as support; although, to be fair, now that we know S.H.I.E.L.D.'s going the route of the Secret Warriors, Daisy and her team (Lincoln, Deathlok, and whomever else will end up involved as the Caterpillars) will be far more than just simple support, I'd think.

lovablepanda

lovablepanda Well-Known Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQTTZzaiCuk This link leads to youtube video that talks a little about the TV show and movies connecting. Basically, Whedon has stated that while they exist in the same universe, the films are not and have not been affected by the TV show. This may change because Whedon has now left Marvel. But the idea is that the shows can and will consistently reference the films and be affected by the films but movies will not. The films will occur and the average movie goer, who does not watch the tv shows, can understand the movies without having any knowledge of the tv show. Now I love the interconnected links there are between AoS and the MCU but for the films to rely on the TV show for something seems a bit more farfetched. I do agree cameos by cast members of the TV shows would be awesome. But by the time I think AoS would be relevant story wise for the movies it would likely be at Inhumans and by then there will be 5 seasons of AoS and to make a movie goer go and watch that many episodes just to help understand a movie is a bit too much, even for Marvel.

Will

Rumors abound that Marvel is eyeing Tilda Swinton (The Chronicles of Narnia, Burn After Reading, The Grand Budapest Hotel) for the role of the Ancient One in Doctor Strange. Swinton is reportedly close to a deal that will see her taking the role of mentor to Stephen Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch).

Though the Ancient One, the original Sorcerer Supreme, was a male in the comics, Marvel will change the gender of the character to female to accommodate Swinton. It's also known, from the comics, that the Ancient One mentored the film's rumored villain, Baron Mordo, as well as Doctor Strange.

A lot of people are already upset about this and are claiming whitewashing since the original Ancient One, in addition to being male, is an Asian character. Personally, I don't give a shit, as long as the actor/actress gives a great performance. It's similar to how I feel about the Human Torch being black in Fantastic Four (and the only thing I did have against that was how it changed the family dynamic of the Storms, but that's for another thread).

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    Will

Guardians director James Gunn has clarified that the rights to Kang the Conqueror, a very powerful supervillain, and the Shi'ar, an alien race, are both owned by Fox. Both Kang and the Shi'ar have strong ties to the X-Men. Gunn also revealed that he wanted to use the Badoon in Guardians I but was forced to use the Sakaarans instead, the Badoons' rights being also owned by Fox.

So... fuck. That means we won't be seeing Kang in Phase IV, which I'd strongly hoped for.

edit —

The Hollywood Reporter reports that, along with Asa Butterfield (Ender's Game) and Tom Holland (The Impossible), four others screen-tested for the role of Peter Parker/Spider-Man today: Judah Lewis (Demolition); Matthew Lintz (Pixels); Charlie Plummer (Boardwalk Empire); and Charlie Rowe (Red Band Society). THP also said that a source cautioned that Marvel may not like any of the actors, and choose to keep looking. Marvel producer Kevin Feige, Sony producer Amy Pascal, and Civil War directors the Russo brothers were all on hand for the auditions and screen-tests.

Based on this I think it's safe to say Spider-Man will not, in fact, have a large role in Civil War apart from perhaps a mid-credits or post-credits scene, although just how big Spider-Man's role will be remains to be seen, obviously.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
    The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Will

That'd be interesting.

Possible spoilers: I wonder what they'd be doing in the U.K.? Unless Cap's there to recruit Captain Britain, which would be a really cool, really unexpected thing.

edit —

Samuel L. Jackson, barring last-minute changes, won't be reprising his role as Nick Fury in Civil War, but he did say he wants to extend his contract with Marvel. There's no word yet on whether or not Cobie Smulders will be playing Maria Hill in the movie.

edit 2 —

There are lots of rumors out there now about how Charlize Theron's the "clear fan-favorite" to play Carol Danvers in Captain Marvel.

I'm sorry... what?

I've read hundreds of articles about the MCU and dozens about Captain Marvel, and I'd not heard anyone calling for Theron to play Carol Danvers until Mad Max: Fury Road came out. It started off as, essentially, a nonstory in a garbage U.S.-based magazine, and it's taken off from there. The claims that Angelina Jolie will, in fact, direct the movie if her friend, Theron, takes the role of Carol Danvers – they're completely absurd. Jolie's rumored to have been sought out by Marvel for a couple months now, but all this stuff about the two teaming up and how it's been a "fan's dream all along" (paraphrasing) – it's all completely made up.

Not only that, but Theron's 39 years old. I can't see Marvel casting an actress that old to play a character they're going to intend to keep around for a long time, especially when you consider that Captain Marvel probably won't even start filming until late 2016, early 2017, at the earliest, and Theron will be 41 then.

And let's not forget about all the people calling for Katheryn Winnick to play Carol Danvers. I've seen Vikings. Anyone who thinks she's a good actress based on her performance in that show's obviously not used to watching good acting performances if they think she's any good. She's easily the worst part about that show. She's a horrible actress. And her age's a factor as well, as she's 37. She'd be 39 when Captain Marvel starts shooting.

Then there's Katee Sackhoff, who I don't mind, but she's also 35 years old and would be at least 37 when Captain Marvel starts filming.

My choices for Carol Danvers are Emily Blunt and Yvonne Strahovski. They're both 32. Assuming Marvel plans on keeping the character around for a while, if they're in the role for ten years, they'd both still only be in their early forties, whereas the other actresses would be pushing, and older than, 50.

I'm not saying the other actresses couldn't play Carol Danvers because of their ages. I'm just saying, based on Marvel's track record, they're not likely to cast such major characters with older actresses, especially not if they intend to keep them around for a while. For me, Emily Blunt and Yvonne Strahovski can act circles around the other three I mentioned; they're far more attractive; and they seem better-suited to the role, in my opinion.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Will

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Strahovski for Captain Marvel would be bonerific.

Will

She's been my choice since they announced Captain Marvel (although I still wish it would've been called Ms. Marvel; she could've become Captain Marvel later). Yvonne Strahovski or Emily Blunt, for me.

edit —

I don't think we'll be seeing Ghost Rider before The Defenders (unless it's a tie-in with Doctor Strange and the more supernatural side of the MCU) but I've seen a lot of people saying Norman Reedus would make a good Ghost Rider now that Jon Bernthal has been cast as The Punisher. What do you guys think? I think he'd be a good choice, personally.

I'm just psyched we'll be seeing The Punisher on Daredevil. I don't think they'll give The Punisher his own series before The Defenders (same as with Ghost Rider) but I can see him being a minor character throughout and leading up to The Defenders.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    The Joesen One

Will

Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave) has been confirmed to be playing Baron Mordo in Doctor Strange.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

For the most part it's always been "This is their best casting choice since INSERT CASTING CHOICE MADE RIGHT BEFORE THIS ONE HERE."

The Josh Brolin hype was palpable. Marvel just has this way with casting that makes you go, "Yeah, yeah that makes sense."

The Joesen One

To be honest, when Marvel casts people, I'm not usually that hyped, and I'm more of a "oh wow, Marvel's getting good/renowned actors for this." When Vincent D'Onofrio was cast as Kingpin, I was more excited than the castings of Josh Brolin and James Spader combined. I'm only batshit excited for Jon Bernthal because I haven't thought of him in the role before, which is strange considering that Punisher fits with the other roles he's played.

Oh man, first Tilda Swinton, now this. Scott Derrickson's gunning for the greats.

Also, the Fantastic Four guys complaining about Johnny Storm being played by Michael B. Jordan will flip out. :lol:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

here, ya nerds

[THUMB]http://40.media.tumblr.com/980a12f8d9aa97e2b96673b7bc6e33a0/tumblr_npsim2xr0m1qz8vumo1_500.jpg[/THUMB]

[THUMB]https://41.media.tumblr.com/2a160ebacd74a51c4999848b10ac8ab7/tumblr_npsim2xr0m1qz8vumo2_540.jpg[/THUMB]

[THUMB]https://41.media.tumblr.com/e560c3730174d7386631c38c7c0fa076/tumblr_npsim2xr0m1qz8vumo3_540.jpg[/THUMB]​

jare0674

jare0674 There's a seat here along side me...

image.jpg