New live songs... ¿?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by rocker94, Jun 19, 2015.

rocker94

rocker94 Well-Known Member

Why do you think that LP won't play KTKK, AFN, War and MTG on a concert? at least early...
    I don't want to be hopeless xD

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

A combination of the following:

Brad is not consistently good enough live to play the guitar parts in those songs.
    Mike is not confident enough to do the vocals on that song live.
    Chester is not consistently nailing the vocals in a non-studio setting.

TEGCRocco

TEGCRocco The LPL Invader

Keys: There really isn't one specific reason they couldn't do this one. The track as a whole just doesn't seem like it would translate well. It's too disjointed and the intro would be something I guarantee the band would never get right. Chester also doesn't seem like he's able to do continuous scream parts as well as he used to, and the chorus is all screams. Just look at most performances of VICTIMIZED.

All For Nothing: Mike doing the chorus. That is 100% why.

War: No reason they can't do this one. They're just lazy. Or, rather, Brad's just lazy and won't re-learn the solo he threw together in three minutes.

Mark The Graves: Time constraints are probably a big problem with this one. A five minute song is harder to incorporate into the set than a 2-3 minute one. Also the progressive nature of this song means A LOT of things could go wrong, and I bet the band just doesn't want to risk that.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

+ The days of Linkin Park performing every song from every album live are simply over because they have too many singles that are invariably going to be in the set whether people like it or not (which may have something to do with certain singles being inaccurately perceived as "hits"/"must-play" songs), and they're not going to push the length of their shows past the 90-100 minutes they typically play because they don't want to run the risk of completely destroying what's left of Chester's voice. They've already cut down on the amount of touring they do every album cycle, they take more time off during tours (look at their tour schedules prior to 2009 or so - they used to follow a 3 shows in a row followed by one day off schedule, now they almost never play more than 2 shows in a row), and they pace their show in a manner that gives Chester several breaks throughout the night (Joe and Mike's solos, the encore break, the first couple minutes of A Line in the Sand, the Robot Boy/Blackout interludes, etc.).

I'm still genuinely shocked that they even bothered with ALITS, and I'm convinced that they only did so in a vain effort to appease the "armchair quarterback" segment of their fanbase that rarely goes to shows but constantly complains about what songs are/aren't in the live set. The constant resurrection of the topic via threads like this kind of proves that they'll never be able to do that.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

This is the main problem, as far as I'm concerned. The band feel their show is better for the audience with "Numb" (for example) than without it. I'm convinced that the audience hardly cares, at most.

I suppose, then, that the effort of working a new song into the set shouldn't seem worthwhile either 'cause the audience isn't going to like the show any better with a new song in it.

Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

Very well said Tony.

Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

I understand how that might be the bands perspective, but from a musicians point of view surely one of the biggest payoffs from writing and recording any song is to see how it translates to and the reaction it gets in a live environment?

I personally wouldn't write a song that I didn't want to or enjoy performing live. It's the best bit.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Well, i saw other bands who just played 3 songs from a new album, so LP is in this case not the worst type of band :lol:

Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

I know LP aren't the only band who do this, obviously, I just don't understand the mindset of writing and recording songs without the intention of ever performing them live, especially on albums supposedly written specifically for a live raw environment.

rocker94

rocker94 Well-Known Member

One band it's good when they can play all the songs from an album as well as they can and in my opinion, Linkin Park have the potential to do this challange. It's not easy, but c'mon... Keys to the kingdom (only the screams are the most difficult to do, cause Brad and Rob they've been doing very well), all for nothing (it's easy and the solo it's not a problem), war (very short...), mark the graves (possible the most difficult song to play on the hunting party)

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Yeah, I saw Beck last Wednesday and he literally only played two songs from his new album. Like, not just any old album, the album that won Album of the Year at the Grammys. :lol:

Majorfort

Majorfort Active Member

Very spot on and kinda ironic, they name their current tour "The Hunting Party Tour" but only can/will, (due to your named various reasons) play only three songs from it.
    Why even bother, just name it "The-People-only-know-us-of-these-songs tour". I was already kinda annoyed when they shortened all the songs just to create the illusion of playing a longer set list, but now with taking out GATS, Rebellion and UIG I can only :facepalm: to that.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Well, in Germany they played 5 songs from THP, and it was also THP Tour, so there have to be other reasons :p :lol:

Calem

Calem Banned

''Keys To The Kingdom'' probably because the vocals are very intense, it would probably be around the same level of intensity as ''Given Up'' for Chester. Either that, or also because it features a guitar solo that Brad might not want to perform every night. I think Mike could handle all the vocals on this one and I think Rob and Dave would also be fine.

''All For Nothing'' probably because the song features Page Hamilton and he obviously can't be there to play it with them each time they perform it. I know they performed ''Guilty All The Same'' and ''Rebellion'' without Rakim and Daron Malakian, but I don't think Mike would feel confident enough to perform that chorus each night vocally. I'm sure he COULD do it, though, if he wanted, seeing as how him singing the chorus was what actually inspired him to see if Page Hamilton would sing on the track since he thought it sounded like Helmet. I think Brad could most likely nail the guitar solo on this song and I think the rest of the band wouldn't have any trouble performing it if they really wanted to.

''War'' probably because of the instrumentation. I think Chester could definitely nail the vocals in this song live. If he could do Dead By Sunrise and now Stone Temple Pilots songs tons of times without an issue then this song shouldn't be hard for him. The guitar solo and bass in this song might be hard for Brad and Dave to do every night and I'm sure Mike would be playing a lot of the guitar in this song as well, but I think he could handle it. Rob said he recorded the drums for this song in a single take so I don't think he would have a problem at all. Again though, I think if the band really wanted to play this song, they could probably do it without too much issue.

''Mark The Graves'' probably because it would be hard for the band to do every night. Chester could most likely handle the vocals but I think everyone else in the band would have to try hard to make it sound great every night. I also don't think it would really go over that well with the crowd, but that's just my opinion.

Overall, I think it boils down to the band not having enough room in the set to play every song from each new album anymore. Those days are over, IMO. They have too many big singles and too many songs that they want to play from each album so far and I highly doubt they want to skip out on big singles and chart toppers for songs that are deep cuts like the ones listed here. I'm surprised they even pulled out ''A Line In The Sand'' for this year. Not saying it isn't awesome, but I can see why the band would want to play their bigger hits.