Gay marriage legalized in the US

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Erica, Jun 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

As it should be.

:)

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Indeed! I hope this creates a domino effect with a little too of other countries.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Woo! :awesome:

So now gay marriage is legal in all of the US? Just like that?

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Just like that. If you're gay and you wanna get married, you can literally have it done today.

lime treacle

Fantastic.

Though all I can do now is hope that my country follows as soon as possible. One thing's for certain: it's going to happen during my lifetime, and it's going to be a great day... I'm happy for you Americans to be experiencing that day right now.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

I like the tweets from gay marriage haters saying they're going to move to Canada. Cause, ya know, it's legal there too.

lime treacle

They're saying that? :rofl:

Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

Yes, and it's been legal there since 2005. Just really shows the ignorance of these people

UltimateLegend

UltimateLegend Well-Known Member

This was a long time coming, and I'm glad it did happen!

lime treacle

So, um, what happens if a Republican is elected POTUS in the future?

Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

They go along with it or are chastised by the entire nation.

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

I mean I don't think being homosexual is right, per se, but I think everyone has a right to do whatever they want to do when it comes to these kinds of things.

Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

Whether you feel it's right or wrong isn't even the biggest issue. Rather, it's the lopsided hypocrisy this country is succumbing to. If you speak out publicly against an issue like gay marriage, you're a bigot and a social pariah. However, this country has absolutely no qualms demeaning religion or those of faith.

Examples? My university had a play that continuously insinuated that religion and faith was bullshit, in a comedic fashion. Had there been a play demeaning homosexuality, all hell literally would've broken lose.

We have a black history month. God forbid we have white history month, or all white people would be seen as even more racist than they already are.

White cops are the subject of utter scrutiny right now, because there have been African Americans killed as a result of "police brutality". It's almost as if *gasp* cops are trained to use lethal force when their lives are jeopardized. I'm not saying all the deaths in the news were justified, and it's so easy to pick out the cases in which there were police officers abusing their powers. But, Ferguson? Give me a break.

I'm sorry to get so off topic, but this country has its morals falling down an endless gutter. I'm not intolerant of homosexuality. My best friend's parents are homosexual, and I work for them. They're as close to me as my own parents, and I love them as if they were. I have absolutely nothing against gay people, but I feel like every day this country bends backwards even further to ensure that each and every person gets their way. It's so frustrating.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I don't understand your argument. What religion you practice is a choice. Being LGBT is not a choice 99% of the time.

Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

I understand that.

My problem is this: if you consider homosexuals to be the minority, we can consider then white protestants to be the majority. Of course, this is a very stripped down and insufficient portrayal, but it suffices for now. My problem is that the "majority" is being more and more pushed to the wayside for the voice of the "minority". Now, I'm not saying minorities don't get rights, but what I'm saying is that it seems ironic to me that we have people who are bigots for opposing gay marriage, while at the same time we have people wanting to take the word "God" out of the Pledge of Allegiance and off of our currency. I understand that homosexuals want the same rights as heterosexuals, and it's not that in which I'm opposed (therein lies the "off topic" nature of my post), but rather that way in which the voice of the "majority" is being silenced in order to appease the "minority" and fulfill their rights.

I understand you believe that religion is a choice, and sexual orientation is not. For some, such as myself, such a thing is not so black and white, and therefore not so easy to accept. However, a point of view such as this is increasingly considered unacceptable in the eyes of our social media. And that bothers me.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Okay. I understand what you're saying now. I don't agree with you, but I understand.

I don't think anyone's ignoring the voice of the majority; that's why they're the majority. (There are literally millions upon millions of churches in the U.S., and religious people are a huge portion of the current majority.) The minority is the minority because the majority has ignored them for so long. It happened for hundreds of years with women; it happened for hundreds of years with black people; it happened for hundreds of years with dozens of other minorities. Giving the minority a larger voice will allow them to become one with the majority and allow everyone to coalesce together, which is something we as citizens of the U.S. should strive for. It's a long way off, but still, it's an attainable goal so long as everyone's given a voice.

For what it's worth "under God" wasn't included in the "Pledge of Allegiance" or on our currency until the '40s or '50s. It should've never been added in the first place. There's supposed to be a separation of church and state and having "under God" in the "Pledge" and on our currency directly defies that. It shouldn't be there because it doesn't represent the entire country.

As far as being unable to accept homosexuality as a natural phenomenon, it's been proven by science and there have been hundreds of examples of homosexual behavior documented in other species. I don't understand what's so hard to accept about something that happens naturally in hundreds of other animal species aside from and including humans. As for religion being a choice, unless you grow up in a religious household where you're sort of indoctrinated into that religion (I couldn't think of a better word), you can freely choose whatever religion you want to practice, or you can choose not to practice religion at all. You can't just choose to not be gay; that'd be defying who you are as a person. I'm not trying to belittle your opinion or anything like that, just stating facts.

This is certainly off topic, though.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

The best tweet I saw today on this matter was "6/26 is the new 9/11". Crazy.

This is great, though.

UltimateLegend

UltimateLegend Well-Known Member

It wasn't a tweet, but I saw that a pastor was going to light himself on fire if same-sex marriage was legalized...

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Now there's only like 9,000 things consenting adults can't do instead of 9,001. Maybe drugs will be legal in 50 years and prostitution in 100 years. Unfortunately the government is taking rights away quicker than it's giving back, but I'm happy for those who feel a new sense of freedom today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.