Gay marriage legalized in the US

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Erica, Jun 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Wow, so much hate in the internet :facepalm: Fuck It People, why so intollerant?

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I'm sorry, but with all due respect, that is a very, very shitty comparison. As Will said, religion can be chosen and you are not born with any, unlike being gay. You can change your beliefs, but you cannot change your sexuality which is a constituent part of you as a person.

Moreover, religion should be bashed very much, whilst homosexuality shouldn't. Man created the prior, nature the latter; the prior is silly, irrational, full of fear and vanity, is against the evidence the real world teaches us and is utterly unneccesary; the latter is nothing but a natural consequence of different genetic combinations, hormonal influences and similar. I repeat: a very, very shitty comparison; the two things are completely different and have nothing to do with each other (except in times when religion bashes homosexuality – another reason why it should be affronted).

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    Michele

Robert :facepalm:

No, i totally disagree. Religion should be also be respected as homosexuality. Yeah i know, there are idiots in religion, some take it really too serious. But you cant say, that there is just hate because of religion. I am sure there are a lots of idiotical atheist who dont like homosexual, just because they are idiots. Religion is near with fanatism and fundamentalism, sure. But this is just the case with the extremists. You cant say, just because i believe in god and i am catholic that i hate gay and lesbian people. Thats just wrong. Sure. Some people and especially the catholic church has some really bad opinions i really disagree with, but that dont make the religious people bad. Its just the instutition which needs an "update".

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

@Ben

Im on mobile and am in a rush so I cant be as eloquent as I wish right now but

Robert is absolutely correct. Faith based institutions deserve to be scrutinized when they are inconsistent in their language, rules, aspirations, judgements, and followers, and there is a huge difference in making mockery of pie on the sky logic and denying scientifically proven peer reviewed facts of reality.

Furthermore black people absolutely are disproportionately treated in the criminal justice system in America and are more than twice as likely to be shot and killed by a cop than a white person. In fact, minorities as a whole are treated unjustly, compared to white people. They serve much harsher punishments for the same or even lesser crimes, are treated unfairly in employment, and face social discrimination every day of their lives.

Personally, from your post I think you are incredibly offensive person and that you are nothing more than a racist shit bag and deserve no empathy from any rational minded person on this forum, yap about your white persecution complex while enjoying your racial privileges, by all means. Just dont be surprised when your kind are thrown to the wolves and no one bats an eye. I certainly wont. Infraction be damned.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Damn....

Yay gay marriage.......

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

THESE. I was so completely baffled by Ben's post, that I didn't even try to to articulate how idiodic his remarks where. Thank y'all for doing so. What got me most was the "white history month" argument. People still use that shitty argument? Jesus Christ.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    lime treacle

I don't share your views, sorry. I respect you as a person, I respect that you are a Catholic, but I do not respect what Christianity (and many other religions) teaches in general, because it goes against reason, common sense, and simply the truth about the world. I would also encourage you to watch some debates, read some books perhaps, to see where people like me are coming from. Challenging your views may prove to have been very rewarding to you, like it has to me and so many other people. :chuck:

Michele

[thumb]https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/11535859_1018153021541834_748091847942470708_n.jpg?oh=4587daa431011ca4eb3dbf621bb2bbdc&oe=5627FD8A[/thumb]

brady

:rofl:

outcastboy

outcastboy Sure God's all powerful, but does he have lips?

the rainbow profite pic on facebook caused a lot of trouble here in brasil, lots of different 'opinions' on the gay marriage. me and most of my friends were neutral about it, it's a step in the right direction in my opinion.

but 2 friends of mine were really pissed, like really desiring death upon gay people because it's 'wrong', and defending traditional values, the funny part is that one of them is an atheist, so he obviously has no reason to hate gay people, or support traditional values. when i said i was not against it at all, they were terrified as if i was betraying them or something.

i find it disturbing that nowadays theres so many people that hate someone else for some silly reason like this.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

No president, nor congress can overturn a Supreme Court ruling by themselves, as it's pretty much impossible. The SCOTUS word is final, and considered 'the law' of the land.

However; that doesn't mean that a ruling can't be overturned. It has happened in the past, but it's very difficult to do...and reversing something of this nature would be political suicide.

Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

I'm not racist. I'm not intolerant. I love all people, and that is absolutely the truth.

Think of me what you will, honestly. You don't know me, or the things that I've done. Call me an "offensive person" or a "racist shit bag". Fine. Attack me. Make it personal. I'm not going to sit here and defend my character to random people on a website forum I'll never meet. So I'll leave this thread alone, because my views clearly aren't welcome here.

Smoog

Smoog Member

Smelling STDs growth right from here.........

Derek

Nobody's saying any of the above things about you, nor are they trying to imply anything of the sort. What they are referring to is the continuing abuse of people within the vocal 'minority' by those in the religious majority. The way a vocal percentile of Christians (albeit not all of them) have used their belief system to disallow people basic human rights, like marriage, because it's against "god's will" when our very forefathers who founded this country called for the separation of church and state in some of our earliest founding documents.

I have no problem against those who practice religions. I hold no bigotry or grudge against those who identify as Christian or any other religious belief. But what I do have a problem with is the unwavering insistence by fanatical religious people, that we model our laws, practices and beliefs around their religion when such beliefs don't represent the entire population. There's something incredibly ignorant I feel about discriminating against the minority by creating laws against them, just because politicians in power believe their religious beliefs call for it. America is not a Christian nation, nor was it ever established as such so the laws of the land should not be dictated by those beliefs. There is no text in the constitution that states America is a Christian nation, and in the original unamended constitution article IV even states:

If America was a Christian nation, and thus it was mandatory for all to follow the Christian belief system, why on earth would the constitution have several key parts of it's text intended to prevent the interference of religion in politics? That seems to fly clear in the face of any suggestion America is a Christian nation whatsoever. The very fact that the constitution has been ignored in this regard for so long, through laws created and influenced by religion (and meant to deny others their rights) is a spit in the face to the freedom that this country has prided itself on since the birth of it's independence. America was not founded as the 'land of the free, but only if you're a Christian'. It was intended to be a land where everyone could feel free to practice their religion (OR LACK THEREOF), without the fear of being forced or legally indoctrinated (through intolerant laws) into a belief system they may not accept themselves.

Yesterday's decision was a step towards fulfilling the American dream of liberty and justice for all and including even the minority in our 'Bill of Rights'. It upheld the constitution, and as Obama so eloquently put it: made this country a little more free.

Yeah me too. I think it's those herpes from your mouth.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Nothing. The only way for this to be overturned would be to pass an amendment to the US Constitution to define marriage as between a man and a woman.

Two-thirds of the house and senate must vote for an amendment. Then, after that's done, three-fourths of the state legislatures must vote to ratify it. Only then does an amendment get added to the Constitution. Since 66 senators would be required to vote for it, and the party distribution in the senate always hovers around 50/50 give or take a few either side, it would never pass the Senate. Some Republicans tried to pass an amendment during the Bush administration, when public opinion was much more on their side, and they couldn't get it out of the Senate. No way in hell they'd be able to do it now. TL;DR, marriage equality here to stay, even if some states are going to have to be dragged to the 21st century kicking and screaming.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

With the gay marriage debate put to rest, what big changes do all of you see coming in the future? Besides trans-rights, race issues and weed legalization of course, since they are already in the mainstream.

brady

Derek, this is what Ben was talking about.

And seriously, what the fuck Jesse? This is the first time I read that entire post, and way to come off as a total asshole. I kinda have to agree with Ben a little bit, and I can see where he is coming from. He isn't a "racist shitbag," nor does he deserve and infraction. In fact, if anyone deserves an infraction, it'd be you.

lime treacle

Sweet.

Derek

Jesse was out of line to attack the way he did, and his views could've been presented in a far less attacking and critical fashion.

That being said however: I will say that despite his horrible way of voicing said opinions, I can see where Jesse was coming from and agree with him. But not merely just for whites. Time and time again I see a group of people who were responsible for doing the persecuting (whether it be whites against blacks, religious against gays) whining and complaining that they've been persecuted against, when they've been doing the persecuting themselves for years. It's why people like Jesse get so upset and emotional over this because it feels like these kind of people are fighting for the right to be intolerant and fighting against equality, instead of working together towards it.

Black people don't want special privileges. Gay people don't want unique rights.

Instead parties just want to be able to stand tall and say they have the same equal, unalienable rights as everybody else and aren't being denied said rights due to who they love or the amount of melatonin in their skin. It's offensive that this continues to go on, and I can understand Jesse's fury...as ill worded as it may be.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

The fight for equal rights for gay people is far from over. It's still legal in many states to fire someone just because they're gay. That needs to be tackled next.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.