Gay marriage legalized in the US

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Erica, Jun 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

But still, there's some truth in Ben's statement. Not every incident of a white cop shooting a black man is racist nor police brutality. But yet time and time again an incident like that happens, it's immediately labeled as police brutality and racism. And Ferguson was the probably the biggest example of this.

But trust me, I'm not racist, nor do I think that every issue isn't a race issue, because I know that racism is still a big problem in America and police brutality needs to be addressed. But not everyone incident should be labeled as a race issue and police brutality.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Business owners should be able to serve, hire, and fire whoever they want for any reason. It's their money and reputation on the line.

Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

So with that logic you would be OK with being fired for being straight? Even though you've done your job perfectly, you've not been as asshole and just a good employee, but you're straight so you get fired. That's OK to you?

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

That is a very poor argument.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Seconded. Try again travz, because that argument was idiotic. There's absolutely NO reason to suspect a gay person would hurt or affect a businesses bottom line/reputation and even the remote suggestion of such is incredibly ignorant. My job is an equal opportunity employer and one of their best salesmen (i.e. one of the best money producers) is gay.

travz21

It's not okay to me, but it will also destroy that business owner's reputation. People won't want to eat at or work at a place that fires good workers or discriminates. This hurts the owner's bottom line. If they want to sacrifice their own money they should be able to. They would most likely go out of business if they committed PR suicide like that.

So when it comes down to it, there would be no incentive to discriminate as a business owner. There would be incentive to be the best owner you could possibly be since it would translate to better PR and more profits. The ones that do discriminate are losing their own money and should be able to do so if they wish.

travz21

I never stated any of that.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

No, it was a tweet.

"@BryanJFischer: From a moral standpoint, 6/26 is now our 9/11."

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    Derek

Why couldn't you have just said it like this like in the first place? Your first post almost seemed like you were condoning it. This here is more rationalized and clearly worded. I'm glad you agree that people who fire those who are gay are idiots.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

In a perfect world, that's true. But this isn't a perfect world. If a business in the middle of the Castro District in San Francisco fires somebody for being gay, yes, their business is going to suffer severely, possibly to the point where they're forced out of business. If a business in Bumfuck, Alabama fires somebody for being gay, there's going to be no negative repercussions from the community. No offense to Alabamians, but I just don't see them standing up en masse for the gay employee who was fired. If anything, the community will rally around the business in support of their "religious freedom". Look at all the slack jawed yokels who were donating to the Gofundme page of that pizzeria who said they wouldn't cater a gay wedding a few months ago. Their hate and bigotry earned them almost a million dollars in donations.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

[​IMG]

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

You misinterpreted me. When I referred to giving an infraction I was speaking about acquiring one myself, not that Ben should get one. As long as he follows the rules, he is allowed his opinion. I dont respect ignorant opinions that I feel are hurtful though. I know I was harsh, but I still stand by my statement. Standing up for equality and calling out intolerance when I see it is much more important to me than upsetting views, and being seen as an asshole, personally. Which is why even though with a chance for an infraction, I said what I did.

And people call out racist cops every time because the system is systematically racist in its very structure. Even the good cops can not escape this reality, as even if they themselves are not racist most times they will still do nothing to lessen their "brothers" offenses, oft times covering up these offenses entirely. Or just ignore them or go along with them because they are afraid of being made an example of. When they are in a position to enact change for the better and fail to even try to when there is some sense of honor between comrades or whatever, they a not helping. They are part of the problem.

Also, the Ferguson, and Baltimore things are just ridiculous. A minority of a group act out violently and do really stupid and dumb shit and cops and racist people are like "see, they themselves are the problem!" while they ignore the majority of people that have been protesting peacefully, which clearly demonstrates the clearly evident bias against minorities.

The white history month argument is also incredibly offensive. Minorities have been persecuted against for centuries, and these months are to honor their achievements and how far they have come in the face of all obstacles, and adversity, Japanese, the native Americans, latino's, hispanics, jews, all minorities deserve to be acknowledged in their progress and this is especially true of black people in America who have been systematically discriminated against for ages, back to when they were enslaved and sold as property. White people as a race have never been persecuted so thoroughly in this country. They have always enjoyed privileges denied to others. There is absolutely no reason for a white history month on any basis that has been presented.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Nobody Can Shave Me Now Formerly known as Ron Jeremy LPA VIP

Damn, it's scary in here. :p

But seriously though, I've always been a proponent on this subject matter. I'm surprised it's taken this long in all honesty. And I agree with what Todd said about tackling the firing issue. To be completely honest, I've gone to gay dances/events/etc, in support for some of my gay friends and closely followed the issue in general, and I was complteley ignorant to the fact that they can still fire someone for being just gay until I just read that. I thought America was well beyond that point in our history! Either way, CONGRATS to the LGBT community! Much <3

brady

@Jesse

I don't agree with the whole White History month thing, I'm on your side about that.

But you misunderstood my statement about Ferguson. The issue is that everyone was rallying behind and defending a thug who just robbed a store and tried to attack a cop. His hands weren't up in the air, and he didn't say "don't shoot" (that whole thing was a total fiasco).

Derek

I have to say even as a 'white guy' I have applauded and agreed with every point you've made in this thread so far. I seriously feel that some people just don't get it. A white history month is not needed in America, because people of my skin color were never sold as slaves in this country like black people were in the 1800s. They were never mass raped and slaughtered like the Native Americans, never accused of being spies after Pearl Harbor and put into concentration camps because of their race like the Japanese, never classified as an illegal immigrant just because they were Hispanic like what happened in Arizona, and never automatically thought of as a terrorist due to their nationality or their religion like the muslims have been for decades.

There's been a lot of crimes committed by whites in this country over the last few hundred years, and while this thread has in some ways gotten off the topic (gay marriage), I totally and 110% understand all you are saying, and agree with it.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

So, i have a question about this discussion: WHat is this "White History Month" you guys are talking about? Sounds like a kind of racist thing to me...

Derek

Someone on the first page posted a rant about how we're not allowed (as white people) to bitch about the lack of a White History Month because we'd be racist...in the midst of a rant over how religious people get persecuted over their beliefs in traditional marriage.

...not that I could ever understand why people would WANT a White History Month in the first place, but whatever.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Ahh ok

SOunds really unimportant to me to be honest.

brady

Also, what would a White History Month even be about? How we decided to slaughter bunch of Native Americans and took their land? Or enslaved people based on their color? Yay for being white.....

Blacks actually have a rich and interesting and even impressive history that makes something like Black History Month possible.

Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

I see you've misunderstood a portion of my "rant". Do I want a white history month? No, not even remotely. We shouldn't have any month dedicated to race or ethnicity. That's my point on that particular issue.

EDIT: The point should be right up your alley, Derek. Distinguishing one month for a specific race or ethnicity doesn't "unify" us or bring us "equality", it further stimulates this perpetual race war which has been ongoing in this country since its founding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.