Should LP do a full Hip hop album?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by MattLP, Jul 8, 2015.

MattLP

MattLP No control No surprise

Since the return of Fort minor, and LP doing a full rock album on the THP, Do you think LP should go full hip hop on the new album Reanimation 2.0?
    having more hip hop beats and more of Mr hahn scratching and less guitar?

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Have you heard Shinoda's rapping? :huh: Personally, I think we get enough of that as is and I don't really want more than the usual amount.

If there are guest rappers aplenty and Shinoda sticks to instrumentation and/or singing, then, yes, I would want that. Depending on who the guests are. That's precisely what I'd want in a Fort Minor album, come to think of it

To actually answer your question, I think that they just should do whatever they want. If they want to explore a hip-hop-based direction more thoroughly, then, they should.

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

I'm hoping for the return of hip-hop elements like scratching. I think songs like Wretches and kings prove there's further territory to be explored that fuses hip hop with rock, that doesn't sound abundantly like HT/Meteora. But yeah, basically guest rappers over some Shinoda instrumentation would be awesome for a FM album, just like before. Welcome and the FM concert proved Mike is in great shape to make more stuff, but I would still want lots of guests to add variety (and to justify it being a FM release instead of another LP album). Really, Welcome could be a lead LP single, it's not too far from their sound, considering all they've done since TRT. Just throw in Chester harmonizing or singing behind the verses and it would fall right in place.

Also, inb4 argument about what constitutes hip hop.

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

They need to do a straight up progressive metal album

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Lol

Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

No. Fuck you.

lololololololololololololol

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    Søuł

Søuł As rogue as they come

No. Not only because I think it wouldn't go well at all, but, especially now with Fort Minor coming back, I think LP-related hip-hop would become extremely saturated.

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Yes! We need the whole album of songs where Mike explains how badass gangsta he is.

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Agreed. At this point, I just want the band to keep exploring different avenues with their sound, and to keep surprising us. If that's the way the want to surprise us for LP7, then cool. Personally, I would be just a little bit disappointed with the choice, in the same way I was just a little bit disappointed with the direction for THP, but as with THP, I'm sure it'd turn out well in the end, and it'd certainly be a surprise, so it'd be hypocritical of me to say that I'd be totally against it.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

NU METALZ PLS!

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

I would be really excited about more features like Rakim, or maybe get Lupe to do a verse. I think we are more likely to see a new Fort Minor record than a LP record devoted to hip hop.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

No. At this point the hip-hop elements in Linkin Park's music are easily the weakest. If anything, remove them entirely.

MattLP

Yeah i agree with you, I'd really like for LP to bring in other hop hop artist to feature in songs.

TheInterframe

TheInterframe Well-Known Member

Yeah, pretty much this

Yeah, if LP were to introduce more hip-hop element's I don't want that sound to be like HT/Meteora, though I'll admit that I miss the scratching, we need more Joe. If we do see more rapping, I don't want to really see Mikes tough guy talk, but more story telling or something of the sort.

minuteforce

For me, either one is fine ... as long as it's done well. Shinoda has delivered good examples of both throughout Linkin Park's history, in my opinion.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

A blend of Hip-Hop and Witch-House would definitely be a unique and interesting route for the band to experiment with. I'd love to see Hahn return with a vengeance. Unfortunately, my gut feeling is that he's burnt out and has way too many endeavors outside of Linkin Park to truly infuse the type of passion necessary to compliment Shinoda's creativity.

[youtube]TCIojbRhBns[/youtube]​

The band definitely needs to kick things back into gear akin to Reanimation and A Thousand Suns. Granted, I'm not asking for a 2.0 rehash, but instead to once again harness that creative spark in which the band as a whole seemed to come together as one to create something truly unique.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    minuteforce

Shinoda doing witch-house would probably be really cool.

MattLP

IMO Shinoda's rapping was better on HT/M even MTM, than anything on ATS, LT and THP. It seemed like he wasnt forcing any thing
    it just came natural. It seems like now he's trying to sell LP to the hip hop community. And its just not working. That's why if LP brings
    in more top hip hop artists LP can actually be sold to the hip hop community.

Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

:rofl:

But he can never compete with Fred Durst brah. The rapping in Break Stuff is better than any hip-hop song you can find.

:kappa:

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I love Hybrid Theory and Meteora and I've got to strongly disagree. Mike's rapping on those two albums sounded like he was reading the raps right off the notebook pages he'd written them on. The best rapping he'd done pre-Minutes to Midnight was on the EP (because Don Gilmore hadn't ruined them yet) and on Reanimation (when Mike re-wrote and re-recorded some of his raps). If you ask me, his rapping on Hybrid Theory and Meteora is emotionless to an extent.

Even though I love those albums I'm smart enough to take off the nostalgia headphones when I need to. I suggest you do the same.