Marvel Movie Universe: Phase 2

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by ChuckCheese, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I made my guesses based on the fact that more than one season of the other series haven't been confirmed and the potential they may possibly bomb hard.

Anyway,

Jessica Jones info.. Some spoilers.

http://www.eonline.com/news/680989/...vil-didn-t-get-a-stunt-emmy-nomination-either

2. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

To be fair, Daredevil wasn't guaranteed a second season, either. It's getting one because it shattered fan and media expectations. I'd imagine most people were expecting a long, drawn-out origin story and weak villains, which are a staple of the MCU, as much as I hate to admit it. Instead, the origin story wasn't long or drawn-out; it was told skillfully through flashbacks. While it lasted the entire season, leading up to Daredevil finally donning his traditional red suit, the entire season wasn't based on the origin story; rather, the origin story was secondary to the main story told throughout the season. Also, the Kingpin was masterfully written and portrayed, and made all of the big-screen villains look like garbage compared, even Loki and Ultron. I think that's why Daredevil's getting a second season. If it weren't for those things, maybe it gets a second season, but it's never guaranteed. The same thing can be said for the other series.

I don't see Jessica Jones getting a second season because I don't think it's going to be as well-received as Daredevil; not a lot of people even know who she is, and the people who've learned who she is still don't care about her, and that's going to hurt the show once it premieres. Luke Cage and Iron Fist, on the other hand, are more well-known than Jessica Jones, and they'll attract a lot more attention, even from casual fans. I don't think Luke Cage will get a second season, simply because we'll have already seen him a good deal in Jessica Jones, and unless he takes on the moniker of Power Man and becomes a traditional superhero like he does in the comics, I don't think very many people will care about him.

That leaves Iron Fist, and I think it'll get a second season because it'll be more in line with Daredevil in terms of grittiness and cinematography and whatnot; at the very least, it'll be more similar to Daredevil than the other two. Plus, by the time Iron Fist premieres, Doctor Strange will have already been out, and the more "magical" aspects of the MCU will be more grounded and Iron Fist will be easier to digest at that point. Not only that, but they've touched on this in Ant-Man, too, with the quantum realm (or whatever they called it); everything's still "magic," but it's all based in science rather than being actual, traditional magic (like from fantasy stories).

And, like I said, I'm hoping, following The Defenders, that Marvel's "Netflix Phase II" (as it's being called by some fans) will be a Midnight Sons/Marvel Knights adaptation, featuring Blade, Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, and the Punisher. If they go this route, I can see them keeping Daredevil and Iron Fist around as series, and leaving Jessica Jones and Luke Cage as secondary characters, which would make the most sense, since they can still exist within each of those series. Then, the final miniseries can be a team-up between the Defenders and the Midnight Sons/Marvel Knights. I think that'd be amazing.

3. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

But we know for a fact that it is guaranteed a second season as it has been announced and confirmed, which is why I only made estimates for one season of the other shows. I've explained this. Saying the others won't be as well received is irrelevant to my point. Point being, we don't know whether or not the other series will have more than one season, I do know they will have at least one season though so that's what I listed. The only think I went out of bounds to guess is the punisher spin of.

Btw, my post isn't an attack on you or the other series. I just don't think it's fair to assume that the other series may get more than one season in my list of when the shows will air until the shows have actually, you know, aired.

BTW. I think Jessica Jones will surprise people. I still think it'll be more gritty and mature than Daredevil but in an entirely different kind of way. Especially if they're faithful to The Purple Man and Jessica Jone's back story. It can get pretty damn gritty.

I also expect JJ to have more than one season but I'm not going to list it because I don't know. :shrug:

4. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I'm judging my opinions based on what I've seen in various discussions I've come across; obviously, I hope Jessica Jones and Luke Cage are better-received than I'm predicting them to be, but I'm not holding out hope. Like I said, a lot of people already seem down on Jessica Jones, whether or not they know anything about the character; the same goes for Luke Cage, mainly because of the actor (he was horrible in Halo: Nightfall, which is what most people are going to know him from). On the other hand, Iron Fist's a hugely-popular character, on par with Daredevil, and a lot of people seem to want Marvel to skip Jessica Jones and Luke Cage and get straight into Iron Fist. That's not going to happen, obviously.

I'd be willing to bet each show will get a second season before The Defenders. I'd imagine their "one show every six months" thing is a rough guideline so they can stay on track. It wouldn't surprise me if they released one show in the spring, another in the summer and a third in the fall, in order to give each show at least two seasons before The Defenders. (And, if they go this route, Daredevil will have four seasons before The Defenders.)