What films have you recently seen? Pt.2

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by lime treacle, Aug 30, 2014.

1. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No! - 2 out of 5

I can't believe I had fun with this one - they're getting so invested in the story now, while still upping the absurdity.

2. Gitsnik

Gitsnik WAAAGH!!! Über Member

Spy - 2/10

Very bad. Story seemed "interesting" but everything fell apart and I did not get the use of so much extreme language.

3. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Mad Max: Fury Road - 10/10

Having not seen the first three movies, I didn't know what to expect from this one, but I was floored at how badass the movie was. The entire movie was fucking nuts and a masterpiece in its own right. It was the best movie I've seen this year so far.

4. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

Max - 2 out of 5

It's heartfelt and all, but it treads, no, JUMPS, into the territory of absurdity and Hollywood coincidences during the entire latter half.

5. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I've seen...

Mad Max: Fury Road
    Interstellar
    The Theory of Everything
    Selma
    The Imitation Game

All of that has been within the last few months.

6. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

[​IMG]

Paper Towns (2015) – Obvious. Cute. Ultimately irrelevant. 6/10

7. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Self/less: 2/5 - Intriguing but then overflowed with bullshit, ends up a somewhat enjoyable experience with no replay value.

8. Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

Antman 3D - 6,5/10
    A formulaic, yet fun superhero movie. The cast is pretty great as well.
    The 3D and CGI is really impressive in this movie, so that's a plus.

Papertowns - 7/10
    Very cute movie, with some relatable characters.
    + I went to see this movie with my sis a few days ago.
    I didn't know anything about the movie before watching it.
    About 2 hours before going to the cinema, I was in a pretty big bookshop. I walked around for a long time and finally decided to buy a book by Walt Whitman. I hadn't read anything about/by him beforehand, but I opened the book and read the poem Song of Myself and I really liked it. It was all so RANDOM.
    Needless to say, when that book/poem was show in the movie I was mindfucked.
    I am still not sure what to make of it all. I know it's a coincident but my god that is some weird shit.

9. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Pretty much exactly what I thought of the film. If Edgar Wright had been attached to it it could've been really awesome. They couldn't properly exploit the concept of shrinking down. There were so many opportunities to explore the world on that level, but they never had too many moments like that. Everything shrinking-wise felt quite standard, apart from one or two scenes.

And I agree, the Falcon cameo was horrible. It felt so tacked on. Maybe that's one of the reasons why Edgar Wright left.

I'll give the movie a 2.5/5

10. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

The Kingsmen - 9/10

Wow, now I finally get the rave for this move. An awesome spy movie that doesn't take itself too seriously. The witty comedy, over-the-top action, and the absurdity of this movie really came together perfect and made for a fantastic movie.

11. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I really liked that movie. Samuel L. Jackson was the worst of it by far though.

12. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

[thumb]http://tvandfilmreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Kingsman-The-Secret-Service-Review.jpg[/thumb]

Kingsman: The Secret Service - 6/10

Just as with his Kick-Ass adaptation, Matthew Vaughn's Kingsman is a good, but not great film. While the few main action sequences are spectacular, the story, and how it unfolds, is very standard, with the first half of the movie being a bit of a drag. The only Matthew Vaughn film to truly "wow" me up to this point is X-Men First Class. It's a fun movie though, if you have 2 hours to blow.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  13. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation - 8/10 - Not as good as Ghost Protocol, but hot damn this was fun. They finally relent to making Ethan Hunt borderline superhuman (and make a hilarious joke out of it too), and the timing of the humor is excellent (it's more lighthearted than the previous M:I films). A solid cast (especially to Simon Pegg and Rebecca Ferguson) makes the movie a lot enjoyable, and the story is quite engrossing, with Ferguson's Ilsa having a better mystery arc than Jeremy Renner's Brandt in Ghost Protocol. The cinematography however, is the standout; it's gorgeous and stylish, especially with Hitchcock-ian opera scene and the climax.

I thought it tried too hard to be an Edgar Wright movie to be honest. It was a good movie, but there were some problems with its identity.

14. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

The Tournament: 3/5

It was ok, not more. Liked how the movie ended. All in all a bit too fast.

Faster 2/5

Mehhhh

15. lime treacle

[​IMG]

Blue Is the Warmest Colour [La Vie d'Adèle – Chapitres 1 & 2] (2013) – Sheer brilliance. That's how you explore a character. That's how you do cinema. 9/10

16. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Fantastic Four (2015) - fantastic 4/10 - I actually had high expectations for this, since I loved Josh Trank's Chronicle, felt Simon Kinberg redeemed himself with First Class and Days of Future Past and loved the works of Miles Tellar, Kate Mara, Michael B Jordan, Jamie Bell and Toby Kebbell. I was on board with their vision - how far from the comics they may be - and hoped this would silence all the critics. Instead we are treated with forced & stiff dialogue filled with expositions and scientific jargon, too much Mr. Fantastic, an underdeveloped (!!!!) villain, a dragging buildup, a lame climax with odd CGI, so many computer screens and the ultimate mistake of making this talented cast act average. It's trying too hard to be gritty and Nolan-ised. I've never been so disappointed in a movie since The Great Gatsby.

17. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Fantastic Four - Lol/10

Pulp Fiction - 8.5/10 - Gah, that was great.

18. lime treacle

[​IMG]

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) – Yes, it's very funny. And quotable. And has been a major impact on popular culture. But, while I respect it, slapstick comedy doesn't provide me with movies I really enjoy. There is no bonding with the characters, it's just endless fooling around. Though this film here I did enjoy quite a bit, I just wish it didn't have those musical elements. I hate musicals. 7/10

19. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

[thumb]http://www.michtheater.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/what-we-do-in-the-shadows1.jpg[/thumb]

What We Do In The Shadows (2014) - 8,5/10

Some were calling it the freshest horror-comedy since "Shaun of the Dead". Statements like that need to be checked, of course, and decided to watch the movie on a whim. From the first couple of minutes I knew I was in for a fresh movie. The entire take on vampires and other monsters is great and incredibly entertaining. The jokes go from clever to straight-up silly (though, the entire movie is silly as all hell), but even the silliest of jokes are pulled off because of the excellent execution. The main characters are interesting, have depth, are extremely lovable, no matter how cruel they actually are, and are performed excellently. The editing is sharp and to the point, but the movie does drag on a bit towards the end, despite its short runtime (86 minutes).

But is it the freshest horror-comedy since "Shaun of the Dead"? It kind of is, actually. Don't expect the same experience, though, because it's very much its own beast. The wit, the characters and the all-around creativity in this movie make it worth the watch. I've watched it two times now and I was surprised by how well the jokes hold up (mostly because of the acting and comedic timing). As mentioned: it's a short movie, so there's really no excuse to not give this movie a try.​

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  20. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

[thumb]http://www.standbyformindcontrol.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/mission-impossible-rogue-nation-rebecca-ferguson-review.jpg[/thumb]

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (2015) - 4.5/5

Rebecca Ferguson stole my heart.​