Is still Chester one of the best singers of the world?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by rocker94, Aug 10, 2015.

rocker94

rocker94 Well-Known Member

We all agree if we say that Chester Bennington was one of the best singers of the world or panorama rock during the period of 2000 - 2010, but today we know that our favourite singer has a lot of problems with his voice. He has been losing their characteristic raspy voice, their power.
    On Living Things he was good, but with very electronic effects to help him. With the last album, THP, the voice of Chester is still good, but very very far on comparison with the last albums. We can see him on the stage and check this drop. I'm worried. Chester isn't very old, he's 39. So, my question os this: Is still Chester one of the best singers of the world on his 39'?

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Was he ever one of the best singers in the world? I think it's too much of an ambitious claim to make. Maybe in contemporary rock music, he was. But you can't just act like you've heard every person in the world sing.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Dunno, i knew people who dont like LP because of Chesters voice. And seriously, its will be not get better. I like it , sure. But i dont know how to compare him to others.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I'd think he's still one of rock music's best male singers, although, like you guys, I don't really have enough knowledge to know for sure

MattLP

MattLP No control No surprise

His voice has really fallen off, he struggles to sing live these days, he looks tired all the time. from HT-M2M i would have said he was probably the best male singer
    of this generation, someone who can sing like an angel and scream like a demon.

Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

Just how much has Chester's vocal quality declined? I've watched a few live performances and he seemed to nail the songs he sung. That said, I do think he sounded a bit tired at times on The Hunting Party but not in every song. Is there any way for him to increase his vocal quality for live and studio performances, given his current condition? I do not know if he is facing anything really serious health-wise that would work against his singing.

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

He's got such a unique tone, and certainly not many people can sing Crawling, Given Up, and then turn around and do an awesome performance of Rolling in the Deep, Waiting for the End, etc. Not to mention the insanely good performance of Faint at Rock am Ring in 2007. Unfortunately, I don't think LP even uses his full potential. I mean, he sounds pretty different on High Rise, and could probably rock some songs of similar style to the kind of stuff Muse does, like Supremacy. Obviously there's no such thing as objectively good singing, but yes, I'd say he's one of the best singers of his generation, at least in the 2010s.

Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

...Uh.

I'd put him towards #25-40 on my list at the very least. He's good, sure, but one of the best? And you're not even limiting it to just males? That means you've got singers like Mariah Carey included as well. People like Paul McCartney, Steven Tyler...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    AaronJxD

AaronJxD Well-Known Member

Hmm. I think he's got one of the most unique voices in the business, and the various different styles he can sing in that we don't even hear on LP records are astounding, but I think consistency in his live performances hold him back.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

agree, his voice is made for a rock album. That said, just forgot one time the screaming and rapping and just let see how Chester sing.

MattLP

MattLP No control No surprise

Iv'e been to three LP concerts in my life, once in 2003,2012,14. And the one in 2003 he was just so on point with his voice and also he was younger back then.
    in 2012 and 2014 he wasnt nearly as on point, it just seem slike he struggles or is in pain when he sings by his facial expression. Who knows really.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

I think some of you are forgetting that Chester still sounded absolutely amazing in 2011 with hard hitting shows like "Live in Red Square" and "Itunes Festival". Hell, even their show from "Madison Square Garden" was spot on.

[video=youtube;rGedjDnQ9cw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGedjDnQ9cw[/video]

2012 was definitely a decline in Chester's vocal delivery, but he still managed to whip out some amazing shows that were, IMO, some of his best (Live in Berlin, Rio+Social, Monterrey)

[video=youtube;bpLmyqXWyT8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpLmyqXWyT8[/video]

2013 was a tad more limited in LP shows so the biggest indicator we can go off of was the "Summer Sonic" show which Chester undoubtedly nailed.

[video=youtube;CpQQCQm33F4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpQQCQm33F4[/video]

2014 was en entirely split year for Chester, with semi-good shows like "Rock Am Ring" & "KROQ" and other shitty shows like "Concert For The Philipines" (Possibly Chester's worst performance ever) or "Live In Camden". Regardless, Chester still managed to pull off some exceptional shows (Red Bull Soundspace, Download, Comic Con)

[video=youtube;LxuIwCkuisQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxuIwCkuisQ[/video]

2015 imo, is going very nicely for Chester. He started the year off with his amazing performance at Orlando (Just hear that Final Masquerade performance!) and nailing the rest of the THP US shows. Most of us were all pretty impressed with the live debut of ALITS, going as far as saying it sounded nearly flawless to the Studio version; with Chester's only real low time show so far being the streamed show in China. And for those of you that didn't follow Chester while he toured with STP, you missed out on some of Chester's best sounding performances of the last couple years.

[video=youtube;3mZYTXkT2tE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mZYTXkT2tE[/video]

[video=youtube;qfga5z2yxJU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfga5z2yxJU[/video]

Overall, yes, I do believe Chester's vocals are on a slow decline, but that doesn't mean the guy isn't still pumping some amazing sounding shows, and as a plus for all the people that enjoy his screams, they seem to have been back on point since 2012. We'll just have to see what he brings us on the next album cycle, don't imagine much to change.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

All that ... but he'll never hold a candle to Broman, will he? :p

TEGCRocco

TEGCRocco The LPL Invader

Best? Fuck no. Not even close. However, he is my favorite singer.

Now MIKE on the other hand... :p

Søuł

Søuł As rogue as they come

That's a question that's hard to answer...

He's not anywhere near the best, I'd say. That's not to say he can't be one of my favorites. Chester's voice has declined since 2006, though it's shone SOME improvement in certain aspects this cycle. In his prime he was easily one of the strongest out there. There's just many other artists (even in HIS genre) that can do what he does better and do more with their voice. I wonder, if he took vocal lessons with a coach like he did in 2006 (where he was DEFINITELY at his best) if he could get back to the top of his game.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Considering the impact alone Chester has had on the modern rock genre, I would say he's easily in the best of the best. Countless rock acts over the last 15 years have tried to mimic the balance of melody and sheer power in his voice but have failed to reach anywhere near his heights. He just carries such an incredibly impressive range.

Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

Pretty much how I feel. Although we know there's another singer that surpasses Chester as my favorite...

Well said. Echoes my sentiments pretty accurately.

Side question: does anyone have a definitive range for Chester's voice? Sources conflict. And I don't mean screaming parts. Singing.

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

I did a quick search, apparently he sings a G2 on this song (which I've actually never listened to before, but it seems to be legit), but I'm not bothered to go through the whole song and verify that. I do know that he hits a G#2 at the end of the bridge of Roads Untravelled (on "there's a seat here alongside me").

As for high notes, the highest clear sung note I could find was this G5 from an LPTV. Apparently he's screamed a bit higher than that, but that's not what you were looking for anyway so I'm not bothered looking for videos of that. He also sorta hit a C#7 here, but that's not really singing so much as it is screeching (and definitely falsetto, if you don't like counting that), so I wouldn't really count that as part of his range.

So I guess his range is from G2 to G5, exactly 3 octaves. Not bad.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Among other singers who cross into similar vocal styles, and speaking strictly in terms of studio output, yes.

Broaden the spectrum any more than that, and ehh...

Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

Considering his wide vocal range, diversity in singing styles, and extensive touring for 15 years, it seems to me that our boy Chaz has held up very well over the years. It's a given that he'll almost always sound better in studio performances (with some exceptions during live performances). There is no doubt in my mind that Chester has one of the most iconic voices in music, even if he isn't one of the absolute best singers out there. Even when he sings in non-LP songs, people just know it's him, so this strong recognition likely works in his favor.