What films have you recently seen? Pt.2

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by lime treacle, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (2015) - 4/5

Great Movie, Great Action and surprising a really spyish MI. I enjoyed it a lot.

2. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Terminator: Genisys - 7/10

A welcome surprise. Far better than T3, and much more entertaining than T4. T5 is a convoluted step forward towards continuing the franchise.

3. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

The Fighter - 8/10 - Highly enjoyable movie.

The Godfather - 8/10 - A classic.

The Sixth Sense - 6.5/10 - A good movie with a bunch of flaws.

4. Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

Inside Out - 9/10
    I'm so glad Pixel would a make a movie like this. Embracing the melancholy of life is a thing that seems to be forbidden in today's society.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  5. Abel

Abel Chester Bennington saved my life.

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - Nearly broke me. Amazing, amazing movie. Then again, I love Steve Carell in just about everything he does, but it was wonderful seeing Keira Knightley in the role she was in.

6. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

[thumb]https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/straight-outta-compton-3.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1[/thumb]

Straight Outta Compton (2015) - 4/5

Awesome.​

-

[thumb]http://bonnier.imgix.net/jakegyllenhaal-i-southpaw-wt30lVGrQ48iAHFSdnFIrQ.jpg[/thumb]

Southpaw (2015) - 2/5

Jake and Forrest did their thing based on what they were given - which was, a very cliched and corny script. I didn't feel all that invested in the emotional beats because everything was based on cliched genre screenwriting techniques that's been done to death. Everything about it was awfully predictable.​

-

[thumb]http://www.flash-screen.com/free-wallpaper/uploads/201109/icos/1315298651.jpg[/thumb]

Warrior (2011) - 4.5/5

I put off watching this film for the longest time but I'm glad I finally sat down and finished it. What a great sports film. Usually I cringe at overly sentimental drama but this film sold it in such an honest way. I genuinely cared for all the characters because all the actors sold their part so well. The vulnerability in Joel Edgerton's performance, the subdued sadness in Hardy and the sheer amount of remorse in Nick Nolte's character.... all of it came together and elevated the film. ​

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  7. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

[thumb]http://www.cinemablend.com/images/sections/67910/marley_and_me_67910.jpg[/thumb]

Marley & Me (2008) - 8/10

I knew this movie was gonna hit hard, so I've been kind of holding back on watching it. However, it was on television last night and decided to watch it. And yep, I was right: it hit hard. It's a heartfelt story that, while at times corny, shows the life of a family with a pet very accurately, which is exactly why it hits as hard as it does: it's relatable.​

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  8. Filip

Se7en - Jesus Christ... 9/10

9. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

[video=youtube;Rvd3lPnVb9E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvd3lPnVb9E&feature=youtu.be#t=2[/video]

10. Filip

The Godfather Part 2: 8/10 - Another classic. Not sure if it's better than the first but it's on the level. Al Pacino is incredible.

Lucky Number Slevin: 7/10 - I found it very enjoyable.

11. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

The Lobster - 9/10. Funny, unique, bizarre. My kinda movie.

12. Agent

[thumb]http://www.rightthisminute.com/sites/default/files/videos/images/cooties-trailer-elijah-wood-rainn-wilson-zombie-movie.jpg[/thumb]

Cooties (2015) - 3/5

Entertaining but falls short in the third act. Felt like they didn't know where to take the story and it kinda ends very abruptly.

[thumb]http://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/mt/2015/06/meearl/lead_960.jpg?1434120616[/thumb]

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl (2015) - 2.5/5

Just your standard coming off age film. Nothing really interesting that truly pulled me in emotionally.​

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  13. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I don't know what it is about this film that makes people respond this way. Maybe it's all the Saw films I'd seen before it, but it hardly shocked me. It's just a good film, but there's nothing particularly amazing here. Much like with The Shawshank Redemption.

14. Filip

You're not human.

15. polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

Silver Linings Playbook - 7/10

It made me feel good for sure.

16. Agent

You underestimate how meticulously David Fincher put together Se7en. Watch this:

[video=youtube;QPAloq5MCUA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPAloq5MCUA[/video]

17. Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

So I loved Johnny Depp in Black Mass...

18. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Watched it. I see what you mean. I was never really compromising the cinematography, though. I was talking more about the stories. I suppose if you gave more credit to the direction than the plot you could get out with a rating as high as 9/10. I apparently didn't do that myself, though, when evaluating Se7en.

EDIT:

[​IMG]

The Maze Runner (2014) – Can't compete with The Hunger Games (which it is quite similar to) and the acting is lousy. Still, the mystery kind of pushed it forward and the ending was satisfactory. 6.5/10

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials (2015) – The Hunger Games now meets The Walking Dead. Still, the film is a modest improvement over its predecessor, replacing the mystery with action, and adding some interesting new characters. The plot is kind of lukewarm, though, and it's somewhat anti-climactic. These films are just okay... 6.5/10

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  19. Agent

[thumb]http://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/vulture/2015/07/24/24-queen.w1200.h630.jpg[/thumb]

Queen of Earth (2015) - 4.5/5

One of the best psychological thrillers I've seen in a while. Brilliantly acted by Elisabeth Moss. The mood was so eerie and unsettling. The director nailed it at portraying the uneasy anxiety inside the characters' mind. I can definitely see the Repulsion comparison but it also reminded me a bit of We Need to Talk About Kevin. ​

20. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials -5/10. I liked the first Maze Runner, because it was different from all the others YA movies. You didn't know what was going on until the very end, and you learned things along with the characters. Not to mention that it was exciting all the way. The Scorch Trials on the other hand... I was so bored, I almost left the theater half way through. They were just running all the time. First from the humans, then from the zombies. And that last fight was pretty meh.