Marvel Cinematic Universe — Phase III

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Will, May 7, 2015.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

I was quite disappointed that Hannibal was canceled, but now that he is going to be in Star Wars: Rogue One and potentially a Marvel film? I'm kinda fine with it.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Marvel Studios has announced that Phase III will be expanded beyond its original slate of ten movies.

In addition to the previously-announced movies, Ant-Man will be getting a sequel in the form of Ant-Man and the Wasp, which is slated for a July 6, 2018 release. This release date previously belonged to Black Panther; however, Panther has been moved up to before Infinity War – Part I, to February 16, 2018. In addition, Captain Marvel has been bumped back from November 2, 2018 to March 8, 2019.

Marvel has also announced three as-yet-untitled movies that will follow the currently-final movie of Phase III, Inhumans. Their release dates are May 1, 2020; July 10, 2020; and November 6, 2020. Although the post makes it clear the article's about Phase III news and updates, what isn't clear is whether or not these three new movies are a part of Phase III or the beginning of Phase IV.

I'll update the first post in the thread in a little while to accommodate the news.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

You...

You...

:timothy:

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

The oversaturation is real

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I dream of a day where a different Marvel movie comes out in theaters every weekend and all other movies are released on Netflix.

Will

I hate this argument. The only people making it are people who don't like comic books or superheroes (you don't fall into that category, obviously) or people who think that other people might possibly grow tired of superhero movies in the future. Who cares how many movies they're releasing? The world they've built and are continuing to build requires them to expand their slate of movies up to four per year. I don't understand how that could be a bad thing. Like I said, the only argument I ever hear is people prognosticating the future, saying "people will get tired of superhero movies." How can you possibly know that? You can't. You literally can't.

Sorry. I went off on a tangent.

Gibs

Superhero films do have the potential to oversaturate the market. What Steven Speilbeg has said regarding them isn't necessarily wrong. The way Marvel is headed now, they will. Nearly every Marvel film put out is extremely safe. They all follow the same formula. They have an underdeveloped villain within a story that is going to be tied up nicely by the time it ends. They're no dramatic tension with most of the main characters, because in most cases, they're already been confirmed to be in future installments. If Marvel starts taking risks, and tries to change up that formula, and with Phase 3, they do have the chance, it could lead to great success. The fact that a movie like Ant-Man is above-average for them is a bit sad. Superheros films have the potential to be so many different things. You can have a heist film (Ant-Man), a crime drama (Daredevil), a space opera (Guardians); the possibilites are endless. There are so many ideas left untapped. For example, a Moon Knight TV show / film would be AMAZING. This is why I'm a bit excited to see what Warner Bros. has in store for their DCEU. We're getting both a "VS" film from them, and a anti-hero filled movie straight out of the gate to open up their universe. Already, it seems like there's going to be diversity. Of course, we still have to see if they're actually good. Marvel is going to need to stop playing it safe if they want to keep Superhero films relevant. I already know plenty of people who are sick of them. Why else would Age of Ultron and Ant-Man be underperforming at the box office?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    travz21

Ultron is the 6th highest grossing movie ever. It wasn't good, but these are the types of movies people want to see. Every Marvel movie will make lots of money for years and decades to come. Hero stories have always been in demand, even before movies existed. I was kind of joking in my last post, but even then I don't think they'd be oversaturated as long as the heroes and stories are exciting. Individuals shell out thousands of dollars a year for entertainment purposes. Marvel knows this and they're giving us what we want.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    Gibs

Will

I know people will get sick of them, but predicting it doesn't seem like a healthy endeavor to me. I don't understand why people care about it so much. If you want to see a movie, go see a movie. I could understand if none of them were connected to one another, but because they're all connected, I can see it breaking the western curse, as I've come to call it (because that's what everyone's been comparing it to). And for what it's worth, Ant-Man made more than what Marvel thought it would, which is why they didn't have a sequel announced until Ant-Man and the Wasp the other day.

I agree they need to take risks, though. They need to wait until after Phase III to announce their lineup for Phase IV and they absolutely cannot give away the cast list until the last possible moment in order to avoid spoiling who's going to be in those movies. The fact that they released a preliminary cast list for Infinity Wars featuring all of the main Avengers sort of handcuffed them throughout Phase III because now those characters sort of have to survive.

I don't buy it. This was originally posted by Bleeding Cool and that guy's wrong more often than he's right.

In fact, it's been confirmed that Marvel's going ahead with Inhumans, and a rep even went so far as to tell the TV division that there are certain elements of the Inhumans universe that are off-limits to the TV side of the MCU so they can be used in movies.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    Gibs

Will

I doubt it, honestly. Hulk's been rumored to be in every Phase III movie so far. If you ask me, the most likely will be The Spectacular Spider-Man, and even that's a stretch because he'd overshadow Spider-Man. I'm guessing we won't see him again until Infinity War – Part I.

edit —

God damn it, I keep trying to format my posts like I'm on Reddit.

Gibs

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    travz21

Marvel is killing it!!!! All I really care about is Doctor Doom. Would be amazing to get a solo movie with him, which seems impossible unfortunately.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    Gibs

20th Century Fox has confirmed that they still hold the rights. Oh well. :(

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

I'm seeing it like Sony/Marvel deal with Spider-Man. I hope it's F4 finally joining the MCU, that would be cool (and Marvel, reboot the cast, please?) X-Men, You're NEXT!

Gibs

Will

LinkinJunior

LinkinJunior LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

*Possible Spoiler*
    Two possible reasons. 1. Hulk seeks to hid himself away from Earth. 2. Thor seeks strength from Hulk during his search for whoever is collecting the Infinity Stones.

20. Will

The only way Hulk ends up on Asgard's if he's transported there. The Quinjet won't get him there. It's just not possible. Too many people are holding out hope for a Planet Hulk/World War Hulk storyline, which sucks, because there are far better Hulk stories in the comics they can tell.

The second suggestion makes the most sense to me – Thor requiring Hulk's help. But Thor won't be looking for whoever is searching for the Infinity Stones. Ragnarok's about the destruction of Asgard, so it's likely the majority of the film will deal with Asgard under attack by Thanos's minions followed by Thanos himself showing up in the third act of the movie to decimate Asgard so he can get whichever Stone is still there (I forget).