[Idea] Post/Date threshold before being able to create a thread.

Discussion in 'Feedback & FAQ' started by TobinKnowsBest, Oct 13, 2015.

TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

Firstly; if this has already been discussed then I apologise but I haven't been able to find anything discussing this.

I want to get some feedback on a potential idea. What I'm thinking is that when new members sign up, they should have to have been on the site for 'x' number of days/weeks, or have 'x' number of posts in the forums before being able to create a thread of their own. While it is of course unfair to paint all newbies with the same brush, it's no secret that a lot of people want to jump straight into discussion when signing up.

Of course, on a forum, that is great, but unfortunately it seems that too many times it leads to pointless/repetitive threads that don't really offer anything to the site (Mike Shinoda sounding like Kurt Cobain springs to mind!!).

I guess not everyone will agree with me here but I think allowing new members to get used to the site and how posts should be handled will help in the long term.

That being said, I don't even know if implementing such a measure is even possible!

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Plus it'd stop the bots from creating threads on new accounts, wouldn't it?

TobinKnowsBest

I thought the same thing, but didn't want to go into a pros vs cons list as I was in a rush haha.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Not too bad an idea ...

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I haven't used vBulletin since I was an admin here almost a decade ago, so I don't know how much the software has evolved (I know it's no longer the best message board solution, but that's another topic for another day), but I'd be surprised if there isn't a module you could download to implement into the forum software to allow for something like this (assuming it's not already an option within the software itself).

Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

Those Spartan threads set you off this much? :lol:

A possible downside to this is that people who come and want to share their creative works (like Karl and Austin Vicenty) would have to postwhore to be able to post in that forum, unless it's possible to exclude certain forums from the rule. But I like the idea.

SPARTAN01

SPARTAN01 Member

jesus christ LPA forum people are way too sensitive god damn

Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

No, it's obviously the other way around bud.

It's not us being sensitive, it's that we don't like having redundant/useless threads spamming up the discussion forums. You created several threads that could have easily been put into other threads, which wasn't that bad on its own, but on top of that, your posts weren't discussion-provoking or well thought-out. Some moderators pointed these things out:

On top of the threads in the discussion forum, you triple-posted in a thread in Random Chat. Double-posting is generally frowned upon unless it has a specific purpose such as reviving a topic, so triple-posting as you can imagine is even more frowned upon. The first post didn't even follow the guidelines of the thread, and the second and third could have been merged if you really felt like posting another round. Like your threads, the triple-posting was pretty redundant and useless.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    TobinKnowsBest

Maybe :kappa:

:rolleyes:

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Easy, friend. It has nothing to do with sensitivity. It's more so about making threads that are conducive to a lot of conversation. I'll leave this with a warning, as opposed to an infraction, because I think you were targeted a bit here and that's not necessarily appropriate either.

Spartan, it's not a matter of your threads necessarily being problematic - but you did make 2-4 threads that were oddly specific - one song or one vocal sounding like another band or something. Instead of making three threads, why not ask in a more general thread about Linkin Park, or perhaps create a comprehensive thread about where Linkin Park sounds like another band, and offer the examples you listed to kick things off. It's nothing for you to get upset over - I actually appreciate that you're trying to start conversations. But if the three threads are all intimately related and might only produce a few responses each... maybe that means a new approach is needed?

As for you, Tobin, I'll leave you with a warning and say that you could have been better about the way you worded your post. I understand what you're getting at, and your suggestion may actually be practical (as I'll explain below), but there's no need for you to indirectly target a brand new member who is probably just trying to start some honest conversations. The last thing we want to do is discourage members of our community, especially new ones, from feeling as though they can contribute to the forum in a meaningful way. Sure, we may close a lot of newbie threads, but people eventually pick up on why their threads get closed and find other ways to contribute before beginning to make threads. And it's not like if we close a thread we say anything about that member, it's more that it's just a thread that's not necessary or not going to produce a lot of responses, and we might as well kill it before people start teasing the original poster (which happens a lot more than I would like). In doing so, we might get better threads from that member later on that produce a lot of conversation. It's all about taking cues and learning along the way.

So take this post, so far, as a cue to both of you.

It's true - the tendency is that a lot of threads show up and can create some clutter, but I want us to think about this a bit. On the one hand, we might spare some threads from emerging that may not really produce anything, and it would prevent spammers / spam bots from creating new threads, which is a persistent problem on these forums. On the other hand, I don't want to discourage new members genuinely interested in starting conversations and place some sort of threshold on them to surpass before they can contribute. It's not a very welcoming thing to do.

And even if we wanted to do it, I don't know if it's possible. We will discuss this amongst staff and see where we get. For now, let's lay off of one another. Thanks.