Marvel's Netflix Universe

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by The Joesen One, Mar 30, 2015.

1. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I know about the character. I haven't read anything to do with any of her stories though. I've just heard Killgrave is one of the best villains Marvel has.

2. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

3. travz21

Just sitting down to start Jessica Jones now. Netflix is the real MVP.

Finished the first two episodes. Very pleased.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  4. Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

10 min in to the third episode, really liking the show so far. That intro music is fucking great.

5. Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Finished episode 1. Gonna try to take my time with this. Gotham, Arrow, Flash, and TWD are coming up on their mid-season mark so I'll need something else to watch. Its at a very great start. Acting is solid, and its really cool to see a villain that actually appears to pose a huge threat against the hero. #Zoom

6. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

5 minutes into episode 1 and my God... Carrie Ann Moss is still looking fine as hell!

7. travz21

Finished episode 5. Ridiculously good so far.

8. Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

This fucking show.. just finished episode 10 and... my god.

*EDIT*

Finished the show, and it's fucking amazing all the way through.

9. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Episode 9. Jesus fuck.

10. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I finished the show about ten minutes ago. (I marathonned the first eleven episodes yesterday.) I wouldn't say it's better than Daredevil, which is the only show I've got to compare it to, but it's definitely an awesome show.

Here's (literally) the only issue I had with the whole show (spoilers, obviously): The twins, Ruben and Robyn. Ruben was alright and served his purpose as a plot device. Robyn, on the other hand, was one of the single most-annoying characters I've ever had the misfortune of watching on any medium. I don't know if it was the way the actress portrayed her or what, but I found everything about her to be irritating as fuck. The way she looked, the way she dressed, the way she acted. I know that was sort of the point of the character (she admits near the end that no one likes her), but her scenes were almost unbearable to watch, and half the time I was tempted to skip over them. I didn't, obviously, but that should never, ever happen when you make a TV show. There's a difference between annoying and annoying, and she was definitely annoying.

11. travz21

The first 9 episodes were amazing. Perfect pacing. 10-12 felt like a lot of filler just to pad more episodes. The finale was okay. I felt kinda the same way about Daredevil.

I have to say that this series was pretty brutal and dark. I hope next season sticks with it.

12. Rahat

Rahat Nyeh LPA VIP

With my nonexistent life I finished all of it. Fucking great show.

13. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I'm 7 episodes into it and really enjoying it. I've read a lot of comments from people saying they've watched 2 episodes and they're disappointing. citing lack of fighting or the villain isn't scary or bad enough, which honestly I can't agree with.

I also hope people now realize what I said when I said it might be darker than Daredevil. Not that means there's more action or gore, the themes that are portrayed are more, well, twisted I guess.

14. Agent

Just finished episode 10. Some thoughts:

Jessica Jones is clumsy as fuck! How many times will she lose track of this guy? Seriously. She also sucks at fighting even though she has superhuman strength. I couldn't help but roll my eyes when that flimsy psycho sister knocked her out cold with a piece of wood. That whole plot thread overall felt very rushed and convenient.

Maybe I got spoiled by Daredevil but the fight scenes in this show are borderline terrible.

Overall I am still enjoying it though. I like how dark and twisted it gets. Episode 9 was probably my favorite so far. Gotta give props to Marvel for really pushing the boundaries on their tv shows.

15. Will

Jessica Jones has no martial training. She learned everything on her own, which means she's got no technique and doesn't know how to tactically approach fights. A lot of people are complaining that she didn't come across as being strong enough, but that's because it's never her intent to kill anyone – aside from Kilgrave – and so she's holding back so she doesn't kill anyone. The reason she gets taken down by a blow to the head's the same reason Luke Cage gets taken down by a shotgun blast to the head: any sufficiently violent blow to the head's going to be enough to take someone down, even a person with powers. If Captain America were blasted in the head hard enough, he'd go down just the same.

16. Agent

But I don't buy for a second that this flimsy ass woman would be able to lift a wood of that size and knock Jessica out cold. Even the choreography of it looked very clumsy. In fact the whole plot thread of the victims rebelling all of a sudden seemed utterly unbelievable and it felt like it only existed to allow Kilgrave to escape yet again. I understand that Jessica doesn't have martial art skills but she comes off as very clumsy at a lot of points in the show, even though she is supposed to be this great PI.

Speaking of fight scenes, I am overall very disappointed in how terrible they look.

17. Will

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, I was just presenting a counterargument that makes sense. I think it's absurd that Jessica was taken down by Robyn wielding a two-by-four, but at the same time, I vaguely recall Jessica being extremely exhausted by that point; Trish kept trying to get her to rest but she wouldn't. You can argue that the blow to her head was enough to knock her out simply because she was already so tired.

I'm rewatching Daredevil now that I've watched Jessica Jones and the fight scenes are shot so much better that it's hard to believe someone at Marvel didn't step back and go, "Hey, hang on, wait a second – this looks like dick." The only time I thought the choreography was good was when Jessica was fighting Luke; other than that, it was bunk.

As to her being clumsy, I think that just stems from the fact that she hasn't properly used her powers in what we can assume to be years and since she doesn't use them for anything more than jumping around, it makes her come across as super clumsy when she does attempt to utilize her powers.

18. Agent

Okay so I just finished the season. Here are some thoughts.

The negatives:

- The use of her superpowers is all over the place. She can hold her own against Luke Cage but can't fight off a few Kil-thugs or Robyn. Also the fight scenes were SHIT.

- Robyn. Seriously one of the most annoying characters I've seen on tv in recent times. What was her point? Were they alluding to some sort of incest between her and the brother? If so, why? She serves literally no purpose to anything. Just a really lazy plot device. Initially I was cool with her outbursts being played off as comic relief but soon they started to delve into her 'emotional' side and really didn't work.

- Why couldn't they use the headphone trick earlier? This is probably the biggest plothole of the show. I was thinking to myself about this as early as episode two. Like why don't you wear a headphone and capture Kilgrave? Dumb.

- The lazy writing. Many plot threads were present just so they can get the story to move from point A to B with no real logic or reasoning behind it. For instance, the bit about the victims deciding to rebel against Jessica completely out of the blue on the word of some strange woman they never met. What?!

- They dragged it after episode 9. The show peaked with that episode and they should've tied things up by episode 11. Should've also introduced Claire an episode early to make her part of the story more believable.

- Mike Colter. He looks the part but I think his acting was pretty terrible. Initially he worked okay for the role but in the second half of the season his acting was so rigid and unnatural. Dude better get his shit together for the Luke Cage tv show.

The positives:

- The noir and dreamlike feel of the first couple of episodes. I wish they'd stuck with that style throughout but it started treading into the standard TV thriller territory.

- I loved how dark the show is. Most of Jessica's past and how Kilgrave tortured her and the other girls really ring true. I found a lot of parallels with those stuff and real life and that makes it that much scary/creepy.

- David Tennant. My god.. this guy knocked it out of the park.

So yeah, it's a good show but has some glaring problems. Definitely not as good as Daredevil imo.

19. Abel

Abel Chester Bennington saved my life.

OK, so I'm still trying to finish Jessica Jones, but:

Oh my goodness, "AKA Sin Bin" was not only the best episode of the season, but one of the best episodes of any TV show I've ever seen. Just...man, Jessica finding Kilgrave's parents and then that whole ending just got me freaking out.

Also, I totally geeked out over "Give me a red." GIVE ME BORN AGAIN, DAREDEVIL.

Oh yeah, and David Tennant. That guy is absolutely brilliant.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  20. travz21

Kilgrave was such a good villain. That acting. Damn.

Looking back on it now it wasn't the greatest season, but Netflix is spoiling us with awesome material.