Brad Delson Plays A Cardboard Fender

Discussion in 'News' started by Hybrid, Dec 4, 2015.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

In one of the most stunning things that I have ever seen, Ernest Packaging Solutions decided to team up with Fender to create a one of a kind Fender Stratocaster made out of cardboard. Although the video is, at it's core, a marketing pitch by Ernest, it truly blows my mind that something that needs to be so sturdy and strong to withstand the torque of guitar strings can be made entirely out of cardboard. To prove that this awesome looking one of a kind instrument can withstand the punishment of a regular guitar, they had Tune Testers, Master Guitar Techs and Linkin Park's own Brad Delson try it out. The results are astounding. Check out the video below from Ernest's Cardboard Chaos Series and let us know in the forum what you think about it!

[youtube]gTZtnKbXAC0[/youtube]​

Source: Ernest Packaging Solutions

JonasTheRoman

JonasTheRoman Well-Known Member

Half of Youtube just hating on Brad for being worse than the other guitar players in the video (which he really wasn't, I think).

TEGCRocco

TEGCRocco The LPL Invader

People on the internet hated on Linkin Park?????? What?? I've never seen this before!! :kappa:

Guitar is a cool idea. Don't know how practical it'd be, but it's definitely original.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Well, he certainly wasn't the best.

It's basically hardened to the point where it's basically a plastic guitar. It sounds good in the video because of the pickups. Put it through your regular, average amp... you'd probably get a below average sound.

But it's original, I'll give it that.

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Brad has been mostly using the Strat as his main guitar since Minutes to Midnight, so I wonder if he is ever going to design his own signature Strat. I'm sure it would be similar in tone to the Rory Gallagher and 50's Strats he uses but at a much more affordable price. I really do think he deserves to have his own Strat by now considering how much he's used them on the road and in the studio.

Captain-EO likes this.
    Modern Guitar God

Read the comments on the video trashing Brad as a guitar player. Still so much snobbery in the guitar community. I often feel more discouraged rather than encouraged to play, because people are so elitist about the instrument. But I do have a Strat and SG and love learning to play guitar. : (

Captain-EO likes this.
    hybrid1988

hybrid1988 Fever Daydream

He really was the worst in that video. I felt embarrassed watching him flail around the instrument.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Brad wasnt too bad honestly :lol: I liked how he "played" it. All in all a pretty interesting video :)

Captain-EO likes this.
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

He got a pretty cool sound going, though, that appealed to me personally more than the other tones heard in the video (which I guess were completely devoid of effects). So I'll give him that

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Yeah, Brad strikes me as a guy who cares more about how it sounds than fancy playing. :)

GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

+1

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

He looks and sounds like a relatively unexpeirenced guitarist going to Guitar Center, picking a cool guitar up, blasting distortion and playing. AKA me. :cry:

JonasTheRoman

JonasTheRoman Well-Known Member

The last two guys just played a few accords, didn't they? I think Brad's work was more remarkable than those two, at least. And it sounded cool, like others already said. :lol:

Modern Guitar God

Brad is not the most musically proficient in the band. I would say that Mike and Rob are. But Brad was never about being a shredder or a guitar virtuoso. He's always prioritized the role of writing with the music, rather than trying to stick out as a lead guitarist. That being said, he does come up with some of the best guitar sounds and tones I've ever heard. I have no idea how he gets that weird, "trashy" (as he describes it) tone from the Strat. I'm guessing it has something to do with the weird and obscure amps that the band's engineers brings to them. Though this wild and "trashy" sound that Brad described is pretty much only heard on THP.

Captain-EO likes this.
    Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

It's novel.

That's about all this thing has going for it.

KarL_LewiS

KarL_LewiS Musician

As others have said, Brad seems to focus more on sound rather than super fast shredding solos (which dont automatically make a guitarist good by the way, as everyone who commented on that on youtube have said). Its not like he flat out SUCKS; the solos he's been doing for What I've Done live recently are outstandingly cool. In the video he seemed to be testing the sound rather than shredding the hell out of it.

Anywho, thats a pretty neat guitar. I prefer my $60 modified knock off strat that plays better than my epiphone sg and squier jaguar

dutchsoldier

dutchsoldier Well-Known Member

Imagine the Papercut you can get from that thing :O

But seriously I support the opinion that he's more of a player that tries to fit the band. Whatever he's running the cardboard Fender through sounds somewhat useable for songs. Not speaking about the played notes but just soundwise.

And besides that.. how much does Brad seem to care here. It seems he/they are goofing around right? It's the first thing I do anyway whenever I hold a new instrument for the first time.

Modern Guitar God

I was also thinking about getting paper cuts from playing that guitar. I'm not sure how much sound could be resonated through a guitar that isn't actually made of solid material all the way through. You can see right through the cardboard Strat.

I wonder why Brad always plays his Strat with only the bridge pickup selected. I would think it'd sound too thin, unless he has really good pickups in his guitars. I have an American Standard Strat and even with the Custom Shop pickups, the bridge pickup position still sounds really thin.

Glad that most people agree that it's a good thing for Brad to play solos only if something in the music moves him in that way. I don't know what effects he used for the solos on "War" and "Final Masquerade" but they sound really cool.

Captain-EO likes this.
    BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

People who hate on Brad need to listen to TLTGYA over and over until they stop. Sure his stuff isn't hard to play, but could that solo be any better? Same with SOTD imo.

Josh

Josh Met LP 8-13-14 LPA VIP

Brad has his Ups and downs but he sure does some great solos (ALITS, TLTGYA, NMS(live), etc.)

Everybody in the band has ups and downs, but in all you have to realize their best talents and work.