LPA Podcast Episode 6: Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Dec 8, 2015.

1. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

He was merely being polite. :rolleyes:

2. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I will say that if Mike (or even another band member) is open to it, this will hopefully not be the last one we do with a Linkin Park band member. Infact, it'd be great to do one of these at least once an album cycle.

3. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

:lol:

4. JonasTheRoman

JonasTheRoman Well-Known Member

I think Dave didn't like to play the song live, not that he hates it in general.

Also, I am not sure the band members really have a least-favorite song. I mean, they put much effort in their albums, they even rewrote whole songs just because they didn't quite work (recently watched the Making of Meteora again :lol:). So I think they really have a close relation to every song after they've made it. Well, that could change over time, of course, but I think the band members don't really have songs which they downright dislike. There are certainly songs which don't belong to their favorites, but I think this can't be narrowed down to a particular song.
    Also, if a bandmember states he "hates" a song, I'm not that sure if this is really meant in this dramatic way.

5. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

He just doesn't like songs that make him stray from root notes. :rofl:

6. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

True. Somewhere in the past, Chester said he wished "One Step Closer" wasn't on Hybrid Theory. But I'm sure they all find a way to enjoy playing the songs live at least.

7. Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

I should have stayed on staff :lol:

Nicely done guys. :)

8. jkrawcke224

jkrawcke224 Well-Known Member

great job, guys. loved all the topics you touched on. especially the wrapping paper lmao. good to know it fucking sucks so no one goes out and gets it and has to be disappointed lol.

mikes so great. ive always known he (and really the rest of the band) have been really down to earth with us fans but this is on like a whole other level. so awesome for him to take the time to do this and be honest and just have a good time with you guys. thanks, mike! :] <3

9. Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

I really like what Mike said about playing one more show a week, and especially about playing a more intimate show with songs which hardcore fans want to hear. Maybe some LPU shows?

10. Derek

He meant doing more of the 'one man show' shows he was doing as Fort Minor. Not intimate LP shows. Those FM sets allowed him to bring back some fan classics with a twist (High Voltage being a good example).

11. Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

Damn should have listened properly.
    Point still stands though, would love the band to do smaller intimate shows, maybe for the LPU? Is there no chance of that happening?

12. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

What we gathered in the conversation in the Mike was something along the lines of, "Well, the band can only do so many shows energy-wise, and we play bigger shows with wide-ranging setlists to respect the wide range of fans we have. I have the energy to do more shows, and those shows can be used to really address the desires of the core fan-base, and Fort Minor seems to be that avenue."

I don't know if the band itself would replicate something like the LPU Tour now. He kind of joked about it when he referred back to a previous LPU tour as "THE" LPU Tour, kind of implying that it may never happen like that again.

13. Derek

I asked a few years ago about an LPU tour to someone in the LPU and I pretty much got the impression that was basically a once in a lifetime thing and would likely not happen again. What many people might not know (having not been around the LPU at that time) was that the tour was completely free to the LPU. Tickets were given for free to members, and the band [or their label] paid for everything out of pocket.

Which is why the tour itself was so remarkable. The band didn't really make a dime off of it afaik (except for extra ticket sales from remaining tickets sold publicly at the last possible minute), so it was truly a special 'for the fans' type of endeavor.

14. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

This "wide range of fans" thing isnt fair for the band in my opinion. I think the setlist on the last tour speak for itself.

Its not bad thought, but i wish there would play more "non popular" songs as In My Remains or The Catalyst.

15. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Lift me up, Let me go

I totally agree! In fact, you just listed my two favourite songs! :)

16. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

I agree. LP has one of the most split fanbases and they're trying to find some middle ground to please those who appreciate their more artistic side but also those who like them for their early sound. If the band chose to play what they really wanted to, they'd probably feel bad about it as if they were betraying certain people. But it is their music so I agree that it's unfair to the band to have to make too much of a compromise.

It's one of the problems that comes with being one of the most successful bands in the world.

17. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

But who was satisfied with the setlists they were using last? The supposed fans at the shows aren't especially happy either way, and casual fans care so little, so it shouldn't matter what the band play. They should play whatever they want. They try out new creative directions in the studio to (ostensibly) keep themselves excited; they should be doing the same onstage.

18. JonasTheRoman

JonasTheRoman Well-Known Member

Are you sure? I think many casual listeners want to hear the "hits" - as in singles - so they actually can sing along and rock, because they know the songs. At least that's the official explanation for the lack of diversity in the shows.
    Though I agree with the rest - isn't THP's cycle actually the most boring one regarding changes in the set list? That's a pity, since LP even wanted to bring more energy to the live shows as far back as with LT's cycle, but the only thing that changed since then is that they've actually introduced less songs than before.

@tovtov: I think it's not "early sound vs. artistic sound", it's "popular/single vs. unknown/unplayed live". They actually play many older and many newer songs, but they rarely make any live debuts any more, because they already have so many highly demanded songs in their repertoire.

It's a dilemma - the more songs they write, the less they can please every wish for a song and the less they can actually debut more live songs without dropping hits.
    They could introduce a completely new set list, full of live debuts, but this could scare away many casual fans - while others would be actually really happy. I hope they will take such a drastic step in the next cycle. They'd definitely have to spend a huge time learning songs (and not touring/writing for the fans), but I would love it.

19. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Lift me up, Let me go

Why do a setlist full of live debuts? They do want to keep the casual fan happy, so just try half popular songs and the other half lesser known songs. They shouldn't just stop playing songs the crowd loves like "Bleed It Out" and "In The End", but they should have some new songs as well.

20. crewdy

crewdy Member

This is really great guys. Congrats on getting the interview - a great listen :)