Linkin Park Have Gotten...Sorta Lame.

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Luke, Dec 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

I believe I heard it from Astat, and I'm fairly certain it's true because it lines up quite well with other events. I could be wrong, but I'm not taking the time to revise my statement.

I know there will be large negative reactions because of the way they change, but even the more hardcore fans seem to often give overly negative statements. For example, all this bashing on "Until It's Gone", "Final Masquerade", and the like. I feel like they do sort of half-say "fuck it", but like with live, they still dial it back and don't push it all the way because there's so much backlash against every single thing, from "Keys to the Kingdom" to "War" to "Drawbar".

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    HybridT

HybridT Well-Known Member

I think that Linkin Park has to take their time. I prefer to wait an year or 2 and have a great, complex album than just have an album in approximately 6 months and only a bunch of songs. Linkin Park is a very capable band. Chester is a very good singer, Mike is very creative and a master in pro-tools. I agree with a post that says that they can create literally any sound, but we can't do anything because they are in the studio right now :( For a couple of months I wanted another "hard rock" album like THP, but now I realize that we have had enough of that. We need another creative, complex album. A real album, not just a collection of songs. LP need to be themselves and not make a "safe" album.

UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

I'm sort of glad that they didn't celebrate HT's anniversary musically. I don't know how I'd feel about a 15th anniversary re-release.

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

To be fair, the LP fan base is huge and diverse. Of course every song they release will be loved by some and hated by others. Even still though, songs like FM got a hugely positive reaction, it's a poppy single done right in many people's eyes, with strong melodies, lyrics, interesting textures, etc. Similarly KTTK was very definitely positively received on the whole. For all these tracks, there of course will be some people who don't like them, but when you have a band that's released everything from Guilty All The Same, to Castle of Glass, to Blackout, to Dedicated, to In Between, I'd expect that to happen.

JonasTheRoman

JonasTheRoman Well-Known Member

This has made me laugh more than it should have.

--

Also: Why is there so much fuss about the 15th anniversary of HT? Did they do anything alike for the 10th anniversary, which I would actually consider more important, or is 15 the more special number? :lol:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    Captain-EO

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I SAID.

Like what the hell people, I thought 10 and 25 would be much more important than 15. We might as well expect them to do something amazing for the 21½ anniversary...

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

LINKIN PARK needs to rebuild their name, revive the band from scratch. Their mind right now is full of distractions. They need a new producer, not Gilmore, not Rubin, a producer that is capable of anything, from punk to hiphop to rock to pop to reggae, etc. The logo (Bebas font) needs to go, establish and stylise their own font (like what Mike did with reviving his side project FM). bring on the creativity, bring the challenge. Neal Avron as the mixer would be a great comeback, I honestly like what he did with Minutes and Suns. I think he did a great and decent job of those records. LT & THP were horribly mixed. Sorry but LT and THP were overproduced in terms of mixing.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

You contradict yourself. The lyrics fit.

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

If they want to get experimental and unpredictable, they could go with Flood as a producer (Nine Inch Nails, Depeche Mode, U2, Smashing Pumpkins). I think it would work well for the band, especially since they are group with such diverse tastes in music. Rick Rubin was good at leading the band into a new direction and showing them that it's ok to do whatever you want to do creatively. Now that they've realized that and freed themselves up, it would a good idea to go to a different producer with experience in the type of music they make and are interested in (experimental, electronic, rock, hip hop). Since Flood is really a producer's producer, he and Mike would work really well together. The only thing is Flood tends to lead artists into making denser, darker and more uncomfortable music, so the band has to be ready for the fans to accept that.

Due to the band's history and situation, I have a feeling they'll just go with Brad and Mike as a producer again. If not, they will go back to Rick Rubin, since they look to him as not only a producer, but also a mentor and friend.

AaronJxD

AaronJxD Well-Known Member

This thread screams entitlement.

Captain-EO

^^^^^^^^^^

This needs to be on the fucking homepage or some shit.

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

I wasn't trying to feel entitled to anything with my suggestion, just offering an interesting idea. The first post in this thread does give off that vibe. A lot of people think they know what goes on in the studio or wherever it is they right or play music. The truth is, none of us are obviously in the band so we don't know what perspective the band is coming from, what kind of label politics they have to deal with, what their relationships with people in the music industry is like, etc. Plus there are six people in the band, so there are going to be big disagreements about what they should do creatively or business wise, and they all have to find common ground.

I've seen fan bases really dedicated to the artists they love, but with LP, I've never met a fanbase so nit-picky and particular with what they want. Sure, other fan bases I've seen have disagreed with what an artist had done artistically, business wise, or promo wise (touring, merchandise). But I've been a fan of LP since HT and it always astonishes me how much people will pick apart every decision this band makes, from the producers and personnel they choose, to the merchandise, to the setlists, to the instruments they choose to play, and so on and so forth. The entitlement that LP fans feel is extraordinary compared to most music artists.

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

As much as I personally disagree with the original post, voicing your dissatisfaction with the band on a website dedicated to discussing that band isn't really entitlement. It's not like he's tweeting Mike, begging him to do everything he said here. :lol:

Maybe we just follow different bands, but I feel most core fan bases are the same. It's completely out of love for what they do, so I don't think there's much point reading into it, I think we just see it more here because we're all so attached to this band. Not to mention that LP are a band where, even among core fans, there's no one consensus on what we'd all like the band to try next. Honestly LP seems to have one of the healthiest fan-band relationships of any band I know of. People here voice their dissatisfaction freely, but I've seen other fanbases completely turn against the band they love over stupid, inconsequential things. That hasn't happened here (yet). :lol:

Captain-EO

I think he was more or less talking about some of the responses here.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Yeah, I guess it's kinda contradictory, but not if you get what I mean. It's supposed to have a strong message, not "war, destroyer". And if you don't have a strong message, you gotta be way more memorable than this.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

I think they got a bit lame after A Thousand Suns, they just played it too safe. I still enjoy the music though, but not as much as other music.

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

Waiting For The End is still the best track they've written and that is from A THOUSAND SUNS. Best single from the band, best music video, best live track.

Captain-EO

...that's an opinion.

Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot of the points made, especially regarding the live shows. Rotating setlists would be a big improvement imo. I also hear a few similarities between GATS and ALITS, although I do enjoy both.

People expect a bit too much from the band at times though. They aren't the best musicians or the most innovative band in the world, but they are very good at what they do. If people keep expecting something wildly experimental with ultra sophisticated themes/lyrics and epic complex shredding, they're going to keep being disappointed.

iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Lift me up, Let me go

I strongly disagree that it's the best, and I disagree even more that's the best live track, I think it's boring live and is one of the worst in their set right now. It doesn't help that they extend it to be like 7 minutes long, and it feels like it never ends.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.