Star Wars

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Delicious Dave, May 1, 2014.

1. Pat

Pat LPA VIP LPA VIP

my life is done

2. Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

Kylo Ren is named Ben. Is he named after Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi? If so, how? Han and Leia only knew him as Obi-Wan and why would they name him after Obi-Wan anyway? They didn't know him well enough to do that...

3. Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

Well Luke might have told them. Doesn't seem that far fetched .

4. Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

The one(only) thing I absolutely hated about the film was the almost exact copy of the Death Star assault. From the planning room to the attack itself, it felt so lazy and boring because it was nothing new. Everything else was absolutely incredible.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  5. Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

Yeah, luckily the focus wasn't really on the Death Star assault but more on the confrontation with Kylo Ren.
    Hopefully they dare to take more chances with the next episodes.
    This, however, was a great new start.

6. Delicious Dave

The Kylo Ren scenes in the snow saved that for me. It felt new and fresh, it was amazing and made up for the death star rip off that I had no interest in because I saw it before.

7. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

I did not see that coming at all.

8. Delicious Dave

It's the new ''SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!''

''Kylo Ren kills his dad Han Solo'' is all over comment sections on every site. It's not fair.

9. Mitch

Mitch YTB

Daisy Ridley stole the show, she was amazing.

10. lovablepanda

lovablepanda Well-Known Member

GOING TO WATCH IT AGAIN!!!!!!1

11. BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

I knew han was done for as soon as he walked out to face kylo. He made the movie and it was awesome. Kylo Ren and the Stormtroopers were so much more aggressive and threatening than the empire in general and actually felt threatening which was awesome. Too bad Luke was only in the film for a moment, can't wait to see him in action in 8.

Was that courescant that blew up? Also, supreme leader snoke was kinda lame.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  12. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I just got back. A couple of things I wish they'd fleshed out a little bit more, but, pretty much, everything was handled the way I wanted as a fan. So worth the wait. :)

One thing I'll note right now is that I noticed some traces of "Battlefront" in the movie, in the way they shot the gunfights and made them easy to follow. As a fan of the game, I appreciated that.

13. Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LOVED it. This is the Star Wars movie I always wanted. JJ nailed it.

14. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Anyone care to explain how Luke's blue lightsaber was retrieved, considering how he lost it when Vader cut his hand off? That's literally my biggest question right now.

I liked the movie a lot, but I didn't like how quickly Rei (sp?) picked up the Force and was able to hold her own in a lightsaber battle. I can deal with the homages to the Death Star and all these things, but it's the more practical stuff that irks me.

15. minuteforce

I asked both of these questions too -- even Finn seemed too proficient for a first-timer

16. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

My biggest question is why did R2D2 started working again at the end?

17. Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

"That's a story for another time"

18. minuteforce

Okay, my theory is ... at some point or another, someone just replaced the crystal for some reason. :rolleyes:

19. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

The Lightsaber of Anakin Skywalker was not destroyed when Vader cut Luke's hand off. It fell down the ventilation shaft. The same one Luke jumped into after Vader informs Luke about what happened to his father. Everyone assumed that it was destroyed, however Lightsaber hilts are very durable.

A huge part of this movie was about Rey's awareness of the Force. It took her confrontation with Kylo Ren when he captured her to fully realize that. Kylo Ren is conflicted and not fully trained in the ways of the force, neither the light or the dark side. This was evident when Supreme Leader Snoke tells General Hux to "Bring Kylo Ren to me to complete his training." The Force adapts to each person who uses it differently and for some it comes easier than others. The Force is stronger with Rey. There are a few times when you can see that in the movie.

I also wanted to point out that the lightsaber fights in this movie were actually one of the highlights for me. Watching the film, it was evident that neither Finn nor Rey were trained with how to use the weapon. Most of their moves in the fight with Kylo Ren were on the defensive. Rey's first time using the lightsaber, she kept going in for poke jabs and it was a very amateurish move when it comes to sword play. It wasn't until Rey became aware of the Force and let it help her with using the lightsaber. She still needs training.

Finn looked very amateur wielding a lightsaber compared to Kylo Ren. He was using it because it was a weapon and he needed a weapon. Even though he was brought up with combat skills, he wasn't very good at using the lightsaber. Hell, even a Stormtrooper kicked his ass.

20. Delicious Dave

The soundtrack is forgettable but Ray's theme and The Scavenger are absolutely amazing. Reminds me of Journey, especially since it plays while she slides down the sand hill.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015