Star Wars

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Delicious Dave, May 1, 2014.

1. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Link? I don't doubt you, I'd just love to know more.

Also, another thing I forgot to mention is how I liked how they didn't completely dismiss what the prequels did. I really enjoyed that line Kylo Ren had about using a "Clone" army in response to General Hux's trained forces. That was a really nice reference.

Captain-EO likes this.
  2. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

The more I think about it, the more I like the way Kylo Ren's written. As I said in one of my previous posts, his personality came as a surprise to me. The mask and pretty much everything else about him made me expect a Vader like figure. And instead they give us this majorly flawed character that is pretty much a kid trying to be someone he's not. He's completely pathetic. And I think Adam Driver played him perfectly like that. I didn't like Ben Solo and I wasn't supposed to. Instead, I just thought he was pathetic.

Part of me expects and wants him to redeem himself by the end of the trilogy, but I think it'd be really really interesting to see him go from this pathetic kid to a real danger, with almost no redeeming qualities, gradually becoming this menacing bad guy. However, whether or not that'll work depends on his backstory, which I hope is written well. Something terrible obviously happened for him to go to the Dark Side and Luke to run away in shame. I hope that backstory delivers.

I have to say: I really like how a lot of things are left unanswered. Instead of killing of a bad guy in this movie, we get a ton of bad guys and they all (supposedly) survive the movie. Imagine all the different directions this could take. I hope we get to see more of the enemy's lair, as well as the New Republic. It's one thing mentioning them now, but I feel like the hierarchy and right context needs to be given in order for the New Republic and the First Order to make sense.

:chuck:

3. Gibs

One thing that Chris Stuckmann pointed out in his spoiler-filled review, which I found really interesting, is how at this point, when compared to Episode 4, Kylo Ren is already a much better develolped character than Darth Vader was. We have had 6 films already about Darth Vader, so we know his backstory well. But if you just look at episode 4 itself, without all the other films in mind, all you have is a standard (but bad-ass villain) with a hinted at past with Obi-Wan. With Kylo Ren, you have this man who is the disgraced former pupil of Luke Skywalker, and the son of Han and Leia, who is very morally grey. I'm not saying he's better than Darth Vader, not at all. But the potential his character has is extremely exciting. I can't wait to see him move on from the awkward Anakin Skywalker-ish guy he was in this film, and on to a fully trained, absolute bad-ass.

Captain-EO likes this.
  4. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

The production and cinematography were amazing. The story was a huge misstep. Completely uninspired and rushed.

5. Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

I'm dying to know more about Snoke and who the fuck he is, and what his motives are. Leia and Han know about him, Snoke watched Kylo Ren from a young age for years before pulling him to the dark side.

Also, in Rey's visions, one of the Knights of Ren was killed by Kylo's lightsaber, stabbed in the back. Was Kylo trying to protect someone during the massacre?

6. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I think it was because of Andy Serkis' mo-cap that they needed to fully digital-ize the character.

7. Gibs

Well, yeah, but a lot of Andy Serkis's past motion-capture characters (namely Gollum and Caeser) have been much more convincing than Snoke was. Snoke being so big is probably what made him look a bit worse. I'm holding out hope that the hologram he was using projected him to be bigger than he actually is. If so, he could look much better in future films, and, it would make a lot more sense. No way is there a species in the SW universe that is that big :lol:

Captain-EO likes this.
  8. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

I think that is the case, actually (him being smaller than the hologram). Actually, a friend and I were joking around about him in reality being really fucking small :lol:

The CG at times wasn't as convincing as I hoped it would be either. Especially on him and Maz Kanata, but it wasn't horrible. I'd say Gollum still is the best CG creature put on screen.

9. KarL_LewiS

KarL_LewiS Musician

This movie....good lord. Masterpiece.

A few minor flaws, but other than that, it was totally worth the wait/glorious. I got off my shift working the midnight premiere of this (I work at a movie theater lol), went to breakfast with my friends (who are also my coworkers), then went and saw the movie at 4:30 am at the other movie theater my brother works at. What a glorious evening.

Also, Daisy Ridley is the most charismatic actress I've ever watched in a movie or tv show ever. She was ELECTRIFYING.

10. snailharvest

snailharvest nice

according to wookiepedia, Snoke is actually only 7 foot tall and the hologram projects him to 25 feet...take from that what you will.

(as for the movie: fucking masterpiece)..seeing it again on christmas eve. good shit

11. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Just back from my second watch: liked it even more. Goddamn.

12. Delicious Dave

I just got back from a second viewing too. Noticed a lot of things I didn't notice the first time.

13. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Same. Especially during the vision scene.

14. Delicious Dave

I heard Luke's ''NOOOOOO!'' in there. You could hear Obi Wan saying ''Rey, these are your first steps'' too. They got Ewan McGregor to record the line.

15. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

16. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that he wants to 1) wipe out the rebels, 2) wipe out the Jedi and 3) rule the galaxy.

17. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

This was fantastic. I dont know when i was so overwhelmed after a movie. SO damn good.

I think i will tell you more later.

Captain-EO likes this.
  18. BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

I agree that Snoke looked not-so-great. Even though there was a ton of practical effects, however, nearly every shot still has some CG, whether it be a full character or simply extending the background/space of the set. With the workload in mind, I can't blame the film for having some meh CG. I'm betting Snoke is gonna be normal sized or even Yoda-sized in the following films, and maybe even fight. My prediction is that Kylo completes his training then kills Snoke, with Kylo becoming progressively more dangerous through the saga. By the end of episode 9 he'll be so powerful it'll take a trained Rey, Finn, Luke, and maybe even Leia and whatever other force characters to stop him. He'll probably take down some of them in the battle/along the way.

19. BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

I kind of agree that the score was a little disappointing. When the force theme isn't being used, it doesn't feel very powerful. Some of the stuff in the prequels was pure ear candy, but there's not much here. That might be due to JJ guiding him to make less melody-driven music and more dynamic, constantly-changing themes as well. Hopefully it gets better.

20. Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Welcome to modern filmmaking.