Star Wars

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Delicious Dave, May 1, 2014.

1. BrandonR24

BrandonR24 Well-Known Member

So pissed they killed Han!

I was late to the party and had only seen Episodes I, II, III and they were kinda meh to me so I skipped on the original trilogy. With the new movie coming out and looking awesome I sat down a couple months ago and watched the original trilogy. Han Solo became my favorite character easily. So when he was standing on that bridge talking to his son, I was like "That bastard is going to do it....he's going to kill his father." Even though at the moment I had a feeling I was still like "Are you kidding me?" haha. I'm over it now, but yesterday I was pretty bummed out.

BUT I loved the the movie! Loved the new chick, she kicks ass. Probably will see it again since at this showing I was 5 rows up breaking my neck trying to watch on the huge screen at our theater.

2. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

So, finally i can point out my thouughts of the movie.

At first. I love Rey (rai? Ray? whatever). I think its great to see a female main charakter in a Star Wars movie. And Finn was pretty cool too, also with some of the Oneliner :lol: Also if i dont really see, why he "turned good". I mean, all his life he was drilled to do Stormtropper things and at his first mission he had such big doubts? Well, after all he is a human, so this is maybe a reason. To the druids: BB-6 > R2D2 >>>>>>>>>>>> C3PO. BB-6 is such a nice thing, i love him :) Ben as the antagonist was really cool to be honest. I love the way he cant controll his feelings yet. And after i checked he was the son of Leia and Han shocked me. This is maybe one thing of the movie that i loved. This points you dont really see coming (somehow). And Chewbacca was really cool in this movie too. What i didnt understand: How does Finn can fight with a lasersword like he was trained at it. Ray, ok, the "Force awaked" in her, this could be a possible explanation, but why Finn :lol: How he killed some stormtroopers with the sword was pretty awesome. And the fight between Ben and Ray was really awesome. Maybe thats weird, but i would rate it as my favorite lasersword fight. It had some pretty epic, didnt know what :lol:

The fact, that they just build a deathstar 3.0 with a almost same failure in buiulduing made me laugh :rofl: Pretty all these things that remind you of the old triology (the thing with Poe and BB-6, the father thing between Han and Ben, the almost too easy kill of the "Deathstar", all this :cry: Am i the only one who thought about Yoda while seeing this weird female "master" who gave Ray the lasersword, really liked the way she talked)

I cried at the scene where Ben killed Han... WHY!!!! WHY :cry: Chewbacca didnt deserved to lose his best friend :cry: I would prefer seing Leia dying, but this didnt happened. I didnt really liked Leia in the movie, she was a little bit too emotionless in my opinion.

My final question now is: HOW BIG IS THE salarie of Mark Hamil :rofl: I mean, he was there for maybe 3 minutes :lol: Also if i found that scene really epic.

This movie was one of the few movies who gave me goosepumbs the hole movie and after it. Cant remember the last time, i felt so about a movie. It was a really really good one and i think i need to see it one time again :lol:

Captain-EO likes this.
  3. Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

Starkiller base didn't have the same weakness as the original Death Star. The X-Wings did multiple bombing runs on the base and couldn't do any damage. Phasma disabling the shields(she gave in too easily) allowed the X-Wings to enter the atmosphere and Han and Chewie blowing it up from the inside created a hole for the X-Wings to attack. Even though it felt rushed, it definitely had more security and defense than both Death Stars, as it took a lot to take it down. if Han and Chewie didn't damage it from the inside, the X-Wings wouldn't have been able to do anything.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  4. Michele

Yeah, maybe this rushed thing bring it to look it like how i saw it. Sure i saw what they do, but it was as always way to easy :lol:

Captain-EO likes this.
  5. Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

So in the 'awakening' scene, it showed Rey at the massacre at the Jedi temple when Kylo Ren killed them all right? Does that mean that she was there and someone (Luke?) rescued her and put her force powers in some kind of hypnosis until they could be 'awakened'? I don't know. That's just a possible theory that I have... Rey was part of the New Jedi Order that Luke was training, was rescued by Luke who then put her powers asleep, and then somehow she rediscovered her powers. It would explain how Kylo Ren would know of 'the girl'. Thoughts?

6. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

HIS NAME IS BB-8, HOW DARE YOU MESS UP THE NAME OF THE SECOND-BEST CHARACTER IN THE NEW TRILOGY.

We don't know the context of that scene at all. It could be in the past or the future. We don't know where it takes place or anything. So we can't make assumptions.

7. Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

I said that it's just a theory... I'm just doing what everyone else is doing; trying to come up with possible explanations to the mysteries in The Force Awakens.

8. Delicious Dave

I want to see the Knights of Ren in action in the next movie.

9. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I thought that they'd play a bigger role than they did, haha

Finn and Rey are both presumably proficient in melee combat. Rey has her staff, and Finn fights a Stormtrooper who wields a baton midway through the film, so it seems they're trained for close-quarter fights

Add to that, Ren is wounded and, overall, it's fairly clear (or it will be once we see it a second time, I guess) that they're far from experts with lightsabers. Even Ren just might not be that good with his; maybe it's just for posturing. We only ever see him use it to kill unarmed, defenseless people

10. Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

I really hope Rey gets some sort of unique staff-esque lightsaber in the next movie because she used a staff as her weapon of choice on Jakku. Not exactly like Darth Maul's saber but slightly different. It'd be really cool to see a new form of saber in the movies.

11. Delicious Dave

It really makes sense why Ren was beat. The movie made it a point on multiple occasions to show how powerful the bowcaster is. It sent people flying, and Ren took a direct hit and managed to stay standing, even just moving would have caused him pain, it made sense why he got beat as badly as he did.

I'm planning to go see it a third time. Never saw a movie in the cinema more than twice before.

On my second viewing I noticed something. When Maz told Rey to close her eyes and feel the force, she didn't close her eyes and just left, so she never let the force in truly. But when she was reminded of The Force during the fight, she closed her eyes, like she didn't do earlier.

Another thing, Luke and Han will never share a scene again, the last time they did was 1983 :(

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  12. Michele

I am sorry :(

Captain-EO likes this.
  13. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Believe it or not, Mark Hamill's salary is seven figure range (which means millions) and earned as much as Carrie Fisher. Adam Driver and Oscar Isaac were paid in mid-to-high six figure range, while Daisy Ridley and John Boyega were paid in low six figure range (estimates are around $400000-ish).

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/harrison-ford-star-wars-pay-force-awakens-cast-1201666236/

14. Michele

Captain-EO likes this.
  15. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

I read an interesting theory somewhere that suggested the Knights of Ren are all Luke's old apprentices. Pretty interesting thought, having so many pupils of his go to the Dark Side. Lured in by something. If that were the case, and if Rey was indeed also a pupil of his, it would make sense for him to leave her somewhere, perhaps wipe her memory and hope she doesn't get discovered by Kylo Ren. To avoid her going to the Dark Side as well.

It's a stretch, but interesting to think about nonetheless.

Also, something I noticed during my second screening: during the visions scene, you can see Rey being dropped off by a spaceship. As she looks up to the spaceship leaving the planet, you can see someone holding her. And I'm pretty sure that someone is Unkar Plutt, the junk dealer, who we see earlier in the movie. The same guy who, if I understood correctly, eventually ended up with the Falcon. If this is the case, it's safe to assume he knows who dropped her off on Jakku. And the fact that he gets a hold off the Falcon would be one of those "Rey's fate has already been decided" moments, where she was destined to meet Han & Co and, eventually, Luke.

The strange part is: if Luke really dropped her off on Jakku, why in the world would she leave her with Unkar Plutt? He's basically putting her through slavery. Either way, I'm pretty sure that'll be explained in future movies.

16. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

This movie felt like a remake or a reboot instead of a sequel. The story was a complete rehash of past events and characters. It was fan service to bring us all back to the nostalgia of the original trilogy. Expecting future movies to be original is highly optimistic.

The great news is that Riann Johnson, who wrote and directed Looper, is writing and directing VIII and IX. Hopefully he can freshen the franchise up.

That said, I really enjoyed the movie. If it was a random movie I wouldn't have that big of a problem with the writing. But it's the most popular franchise ever, and the story was so lazy it almost makes me cry. It's just very average at best.

17. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I'm just gonna copy pasta my previous post here...

See, a lot of people that I've seen have complained that TFA is ANH2.0 are just looking at it from an overall scenario viewpoint of the movie.

Is the overall plot the same? Yes. A resistance group is going against a dictator-run power with a huge superweapon that needs to be destroyed. A wise man dies. Et cetera. But the meat of the film is completely different. The focus is different.

What is TFA?

It's a story about a man who defects from a brutal lifestyle because of his humanity, and finding out who he is outside of that world.

It's the story of a woman who finds out her fairy tales are true and is thrust into that lore after (supposed) years of solitude.

It's about a couple dealing with the loss of their son.

It's about a man who feels he's failed his family and his student and disappeared from civilization, and everyone trying to FIND him.

It's about a man who fears he is falling towards the Light and is completely insecure.

The shell is the same, but the content and context is completely different and will show in future films. Introducing these character arcs in the context of a familiar scenario is a fantastic way of mixing old and new.

And the best part of that, is guess what we have to look forward to in the Episodes VIII and IX?

- Leia and Chewie dealing with the death of a loved one.
    - Luke. Just... Luke.
    - The fate of Finn.
    - Learning more about Poe.
    - Learning more about the war.
    - Rey's training.
    - Kylo finishing his training.
    - General Hux's need for revenge against the New Republic and the Resistance.
    - Captain Phasma's need for revenge against the traitorous stormtrooper.
    - Snoke's overall plan for Kylo and the galaxy.

There are so many character and expository threads set up with this movie that will be a pleasure to watch develop in the future.

18. lovablepanda

lovablepanda Well-Known Member

Rian Johnson is not directing episode 9. That is Colin Trevorrow is directing with Rian Johnson writing. And well Minus answered my other response. The outline is different but the characters we have now are way different.

19. Halfway Dwight

Halfway Dwight We are the fortunate ones.

I wonder if the story of how Maz got Luke's lightsaber will be explained in the movies or in another media like comics or books.

20. Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

Fixing to see it a second time! :chuck: