Linkin Park in the studio with Jon Green of The Bonfires

Discussion in 'News' started by Filip, Jan 16, 2016.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

:phone:

-

@Jonas - no ones really "hating" on Mike's rapping. We're just... recognizing mediocrity. The guy did well on The Rising Tied, and since then he's had a couple of moments, but of all the things he does, rapping is at the bottom of the list, quality wise.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

More than anything, I'd say LP shouldn't include rap and / or scream for the sake of it. Otherwise, those elements will end up being very, very cliché in their sound.

THP had a sound that was appropriate for both those elements, and hence, I'm pretty happy they were included. Fuck, I'll even go as far as to say the delivery in All For Nothing verses is one of my favorite in LP recent rap-orientated releases.

But if, and only if, LP would go down a stripped down, more chill road... Getting rid of the screaming for once would make sense. And the rapping... Well, only if the song really needs it then.

HybridT

HybridT Well-Known Member

That's what I try to say

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

I don't know if Mike's verse in My December considered rap. It depends on a track, though. I'd like to see harmonisation of the band, we've heard Mike and Chester's vocals/harmony, it's time for Phoenix or even Brad to contribute vocals (+1 Brad for UNTIL IT BREAKS verse)

Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

My December's prechorus is more like just spoken word than rap in my opinion.

Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

I hate Brad's vocals in UIB.

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

yeah, I'm beginning to think a very mellow, acousticish album might be a realistic possibility! I didn't think much of it when they said they were writing acoustically and trying to focus on melody, but I can imagine that if they had tracks with acoustic instruments, they might grow to like the acoustic sound and not be pleased with any heaviness or electronics they might try to add. Plus, considering the last album was heavy as hell and before that they were electronic with ALTNC/Recharged, I think a natural-sounding softer album would be almost expected. I expect a couple of what I've done-level rock songs on the album as singles, with the majority of the album being between roads untraveled and devil's drop in terms of how energetic and loud the tracks will be.

I just hope that with softer songs, we get more complex instrumentation. I wanna hear some great guitar work from Brad and Phoenix, and some nice drums (like in TLTGYA) from Rob. And maybe some subtle scratching/sampling from Joe like in My December. And Mike's proven he can do more than play chords on piano, I would love some nice piano studio tracks from him.

As for this guy in the studio with them, I'd be happy if they were getting some producing help and whatnot, but I'm not sure they really need to feature anyone unless it's something out there like a harp player, some more strings, etc. Vocally or instrumentally I think they have it in them to make great stuff (although Brad probably would have never put out Rebellion by himself, and I'm really glad that track happened).

Captain-EO

[thumb]http://e.lvme.me/kwovcbl.jpg[/thumb]

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I wasn't aware people actually disliked Delson's vocal section.

Vinifeijo

Vinifeijo i'm dancing with matt damons

An entire album following Waiting For The End style. This is what we should claim for.

Soft, dark, rap, reggae, eletronic, experimental... yeah, definitely this is what i want now.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

This actually sums up how I feel, especially the second paragraph. I know Linkin Park aren't the most technically proficient musicians in the world (what I mean is, Brad will never bust out a Beethoven symphony on guitar) but I would definitely like a slower, more emotive album with an extreme focus on lyricism and instrumentation. To see Brad do some beautiful acoustic guitar work, and for Phoenix's cello skills to finally be put more on showcase. Mike has already proven himself to be fairly talented at piano, so a 'musically complex', mostly acoustic Linkin Park record isn't too far out of the realm of possibility. Again, I'm aware there are more 'instrumentally proficient' bands out there, but it doesn't mean LP can't make something complex. If they're talented enough to make an album like ATS, they can certainly do something as impressive again.

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Yes! Whenever I think of LP's discography and what I want more of, I think of WFTE. So unique. Plus, it's got lots of electronic elements, but at the same time feels very natural and raw to me, mostly because of the clean piano, bass, and vocal sounds I guess. Not to mention the structure of the song is unusual yet feels very natural.

Captain-EO

...Whenever I think of what I want more of, I think of WTCFM. Lots of awesome percussion and synths. Ya ya. Give me another song with drums as the backbone.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

I want more of those 1000 Iridescents they think they could do. MORE GANG VOCALS!

UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

I agree with all those people who suggested they bring back their folk influences. Hell, as interesting as Victimized is right now, I want Mike's melody to be expanded into a full song so badly.

Jared Leto is happy.

Captain-EO

Enter Shikari is happy.

Jack_Farrell

Jack_Farrell KTTK is Chester suicide-diving off a cliff naked

I hope stripped demos is as far as they ever go with that particular sound. Acoustic LP? The greatest waste of potential ever. Hopefully this is just like Three Band Terror or Warm Spell.

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

The folk-influenced they had on LT haven't fleshed out properly, so this time they would go and explore that route again (maybe?). But that's the safe assumption I have in mind.