Linkin Park in the studio with Jon Green of The Bonfires

Discussion in 'News' started by Filip, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

I really don't want an LP album without Chester screaming, separate it from the softer melodic songs, but don't exclude it all together. Throw in some heavier songs, I'm all for them trying new things, but I don't want them to completely abandon things that are such a staple in their sound signature just for the sake of being different. Though I'd rather Mike sing at this point, but like Chester's screaming, his rapping is such a staple that the album would feel weird without it. Plus, he spoke about focusing on lyrics first with this record, so I'm really interested on what he can pull off this time around.

I'd rather they take an LT approach where the album is a bit of a grab bag, some rap songs, some soft, some heavy, etc. Though, I can understand others who may want a more cohesive album like ATS where the album is meant to be listened to as a whole. I really think they had the right idea with the formula of LT. A short, fast, album packed with assorted flavors. Even if you didn't like the overall sound of LT, they can still use that formula with different genres which I would love to hear.

But if the guy from The Bonfires is any indication, this album could be slow. Then again, Mike was also in the studio with Martin Garrix :)sick:) I have no clue what they're doing, but I think that's what makes this album so interesting is that we have no clue what to expect this time around.

2. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

!

Thank You, my thoughts

3. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I think that's what people fail to realize, that provided Linkin Park keep it going and continue to release albums into the next decade...that sooner or later there's going to be a record that features little to no screaming at all. As much as Chester is still one of the best studio vocalists out there (in my personal opinion), it's undeniable that his live vocal abilities have diminished with age. Some will argue me on that fact, but seriously...look on YouTube. There are plenty of 'compilation' videos that show Chester performing a certain song from say, 2002 to now, and the difference is pretty noticeable. While he improved his pitch control, he's lost a lot of power/edge in his screams. Now it's probably somewhat due to age, but I doubt the style of music he sang for over half his career helped that much either. Chester is not gonna be able to be screaming at 55-60. Sooner or later the band is going to have to take a melodic turn...why not start with this album?

4. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Yeah, I'd like to see the band age gracefully as far as the screaming goes, and that means quitting before it really starts to suck.

5. MagmaXtreme

MagmaXtreme Well-Known Member

Agreed, no more "how many screams on the album?" (in before that happens closer to the album release date). I think the key is that they develop their song writing, and I'm sure Chester can experiment with his voice without screaming or growling and bring something new to the table if he endeavoured to. He could screech (still might be bad for his voice though), do some haunting low pitch vocal melody, or even yodel :p I mean Mike said he's into some country music on the recent livestream, so who's to say we can't hear some of that? :kappa:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  6. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

If anything, that would be an argument for even more scream now though :lol:

He'll have to stop at some point, anyway. So better use it while he still can!

7. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Lift me up, Let me go

The problem with this thinking, is that there is no way around him screaming. I'm sure their live shows will always have some screaming, and if he's screaming on stage, no reason he couldn't scream in the studio as well. I can't imagine them doing a show without Faint, Bleed It Out, or any of the other popular songs with screaming.

8. Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Given Up is probably the biggest song to note. I wouldn't use Faint as an example anymore :lol:

9. deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

It'll suck like the rest.

10. Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

So, does anyone know more about The Bonfires? I couldn't find their music on YouTube, as it seems they are only on SoundCloud.

I did give "Catapult" a listen and unfortunately, I just couldn't like it as much as I wanted to. The strings and atmospheric instrumental were pretty good, though. I guess I'm just not used to the type of vocals used in the song.

In regards to the inclusion or omission of rapping/screaming, I would say that LP knows better than anyone else right now if those elements will work in the upcoming album. We all know how this band has a knack for merging starkly different elements/styles of music and making the end product cohesive or sensible. I would point to ATS and LT, as well as MTM to a lesser extent, as prominent examples of this.

11. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Honestly, I wouldn't be really fussed if Chester didn't scream on an album at all beyond THP. I've always preferred his sung vocals to his screamed vocals, and for as long as I've been a fan I've always found myself replaying the songs that have Chester singing the entire song, over the tracks where Chester is 'screaming his lungs out'.

For example: My favorite tracks by the band from the post nu-metal era are Shadow of The Day, Waiting For The End, Leave Out All The Rest, and Final Masquerade. What's the one thing those songs all have in common? Little to no screaming whatsoever, with a greater focus on Chester's true singing voice and vocal abilities. Even LOATR, while arguably sung more 'aggressively' in spots, still focuses on vocal melodies etc.

I'm sure it'll be like any other 'legacy' act where the songs are performed somewhat differently than they were when the band was young (slower, maybe half a step down in pitch etc etc). They'll adjust, just like any other long term band has with time.

12. HybridT

HybridT Well-Known Member

This depresses me :( Sad but true.

13. Michele

I think this could also happen in his earlie 40s. He should stop it as earlie as possible imo.

14. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

So we're all in agreement that Chester should leave the band. :kappa:

15. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

To be fair though. I wonder if it's the screams people want out, or simply the agressive edge of LP music.

Because if that's the case, well... LP has never been Coldplay or U2, and I really hope they wont ever be. I enjoy both those bands music, by the way.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  16. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Sometimes it boggles me to this day why the band hasn't performed songs in lower pitch (ex. Burn It Down) since some of the high notes are sometimes harder to reach for Chester than screams.

17. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I'm A-Okay with chester not singing and mike not rapping on future albums.

18. Michele

Wait, what? :lol:

19. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

I think that LP should be only Rob on drums and Brad on guitar and singing, since he is a clearly better singer than Chester and Mike... /kappa/

20. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Regarding screaming, I think it doesn't matter how much it's used as long as it's used tastefully. The band have never really shoehorned it in, it's never been more than a garnish of sorts. It made sense that it was used a lot on THP, because that was the style of that album, but I'm sure the band would have no problem toning it back, as they have done in the past. Take ATS for example, Chester only screams on one song, Blackout, which many people could consider one of the band's strongest songs. Here, they didn't put screaming on any song just for the sake of it, but when a song was written that really called for it, they utilised it amazingly. I'm sure if the band wanted to go for a more subdued sound on the next album, they'd only use screaming if a song really called for it, and it would be a real climax of the album.