Linkin Park share five-minute video from the studio

Discussion in 'News' started by Filip, Feb 25, 2016.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

This thread gave me cancer.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Good.

AndreyKamensky

AndreyKamensky hakuna matata

you can't really judge or say anything about this short video. It's 90% talk... Let's just wait and see/hear. :)

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

:facepalm: They literally were coming up with a base idea on the spot. I really wouldn't use this 5 minute video as an indication of where the lyrics are going. It's a demo and very rough, and I highly doubt those will be the final lyrics with how much this band rewrites songs sometimes.

Until It's Gone if I recall was written for Transformers but ultimately wasn't used, which is why the lyrics are so generic.

I'll never understand why people think LP is this band in which verse/chorus/verse should not apply. There were plenty of songs on ATS that had verse/chorus/verse. Infact I'd argue at least half the songs on there follow that structure. The only difference is that the songs had 'movements' or multiple sections...but they still in many ways followed a very basic song structure.

I love LP as much as the next guy, but it's about time people stop holding them on a pedestal as some ground breaking, earth shattering, world changing band :lol:. That's an impossible label for any band to live up to. They're just a bunch of creative guys who make good music.

minuteforce

This is the only news we might get for a long time regarding the upcoming album. Only natural that people would chew it to the bone, for better or worse.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

If people want to whine about anything, they should be whining about how completely terrible the band's merch is starting to look. They're literally resorting to slapping the album cover for Hybrid Theory on clothes now. No blending into the shirt, no special design...just...practically gluing a square to a shirt. It's lazy, and it's cheap looking.

minuteforce

Well, on the bright side ... those "Hybrid Theory" fans get "Hybrid Theory" like they always want, and nothing but. :rolleyes:

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

That's one way to look at it.

Another would be that it's a chance for us to sell better stuff. :shinado:

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Hey, i think HT-T Shirts for toddlers is a awesome idea. /s

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Linkin Park wants us to be like

[​IMG]

minuteforce

Yeah, Derek complains now, but he'll understand once he has his own children. :kappa:

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

You're getting flak for this, but I completely agree. I don't get how people are making fun of you for not liking the ABABCB structure, most of my favourite music tries to mix up the structure, and I feel LP can do the same. To answer Derek's question for you, I don't "hate 90% of music", plenty of my favourite bands (like LP) use that structure, but I'm still allowed to be heavily biased towards that other 10% that strives to do something different.

Even on ATS the band largely followed the ABABCB structure. I feel that, considering the band pride themselves on experimentation and mixing it up, the only mold that the band still need to break out of is the song structure mold. Let's face it, even if this album is, say, largely acoustic, something they've never done before, if most of the songs are in that exact structure it'll still feel a bit like MTM or even LT. If the band came out of the woodwork with 10 minute long songs, weird and wonderful structures, lots of interludes, songs flowing into each other, through composed structures (ABCDE, ie. no sections are repeated), then our minds will be blown. I'm not expecting them to do that, they've never done it on the past so I'm not setting the bar that high, but I can understand why you wouldn't get too hyped to hear what sounds like another ABABCB structure. Similarly, I'll still absolutely love the album in all likelihood in the exact same way I love every other Linkin Park album, but I'd still prefer if they pushed that one aspect that they've seldom pushed before a bit further. If they create a fantastic album and break out of that mold, then I feel they could easily dethrone ATS as my favourite LP album. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    Michele

I dont see whats wrong with VCVCBC tructure :lol:

Sure, a bit varity would be nice, we all know that. But i dont think its 100% necessary.

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

It's just super predictable, and for me, oftentimes a bit boring. :lol: It's down to opinion, not everyone will agree, but for me, I sometimes get a little bit bored when a band uses the same structure and style for 10 songs in a row. As for that particular structure itself, you can still do loads of interesting things inside that structure, but with Linkin Park we very often the same way of using that same structure, which is even worse. Listen to, say, Final Masquerade. I'm picking that song because I actually really love it, but compare it to:

I'll Be Gone
    Until It's Gone
    Leave Out All The Rest
    What I've Done
    Pushing Me Away
    Numb

Just to name a few off the top of my head, the list goes on. (Soulful verses, big powerful choruses, soulful bridge). That's not even where the comparisons end, but this comment's long enough already. I quite like all these songs, but even if they did a little, little thing to change them I'd feel it'd make them stand up a lot more. Take IMR for example. It uses the same structure as all these songs, but Mike's bridge and outro change the song drastically for the better IMO. It's one of my favourite songs on LT simply because of those two short sections.

What I'm trying to say is that interesting things can be done in that structure, but it's hard. Take BITS for example. It's such a unique sound for Linkin Park that it stands up on it's own as one of their best tracks for me, despite its structure. Similarly, the band could easily write a song with unique structure that's not particularily good. What I'm trying to say is that structure is one of the less important aspects to a song, however, seeing as we already know LP can write amazing songs, I feel that adding a great structure on top would be the icing on the cake. Yes, I'd take a great song with mediocre structure over a mediocre song with great structure any day, but for me, I feel that having a unique structure is one of the best ways a band can create truly fantastic music.

Most of my favourite songs are at least over 5 minutes long. LP are one of the only ones I listen to that consistently can't even top the four minute mark. (Outside of ATS, only 5 LP songs are above 4 minutes, SOTD, TLTGYA, GATS, MTG, ALITS, and even including ATS, only 5 songs are above 5 minutes (All of the above except for SOTD, with the Catalyst also). Again, I want to reiterate that this is just my taste, but it's really a testament to me of how great I think LP's music is that despite this caveat they're still one of my top bands. And as I said in the other comment, I feel like LP have done most other things. The only aspect of their music that I feel they constantly constrain themselves inside of is their song structures. Again, just my opinion. :lol:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    Michele

Its ok, i think you have a good right to have this opinion :lol:

Its just, tht if i really want something with more special structure, i am returning to stuff like Pink Floyd etc.

To the comparing from FM and the other songs: I can see what you mean. But if you take the latest live performance for WID for example, they change the situation with an extended solo (especially i see it this way lol). This is the kind of things LP should try to do on records too. Put there more energy in it, dont let it be too simple. I love the bridge in Numb though, make it for me the best song out of your list, while the others are mostly forgettable in my opinion, just because the things you say. Make the bridges more interesting and maybe the structure will be more interesting too. Thats how i see it :) You took IMR as an example and i completly agree with you. Its also VCVCBC, nut because of the different bridge, the song is more unique than other LP songs (for example the songs you named there).

And with longer songs it will be hard to make something like VCVC(VC...)BC
    in my opinion. Would be more than lame too :lol:

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Mike Shinoda here.

We've taken your complaints about song structure into account and will be incorporating your thoughts into our songwriting process.

As a thanks to the LPA, we're giving you the rough song structure for our next single as an exclusive!

Working Title: Titty Sprinkles
    Intro
    Verse
    Chorus
    Verse
    Chorus
    Fake Ending #1
    Double Verse
    1/2 Chorus
    1/2 Verse
    3/8 Chorus
    Fake Ending #2
    Verse
    Key Change
    Chorus
    ¿Mmmbop?
    Verse
    Breakdown

Thanks for your continued support!

-MS

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

Guys we've gotten demos from the ATS era that sound NOTHING like ATS. Keep in mind that Mike said lyrics/melodies come first this time around and that the musical part comes later. Chill out.

Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

It's a 5 minute video, not really showing anything.
    They've been in the studio for months and will be in there for many more months.. calm the fuck down.

Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

Damn, I can't quite imagine how this would sound :lol:

This would be interesting to say the least, and not necessarily in a good way :lol:

@Reed: I totally agree with you. If anything, LP is likely to make at least some major revisions to their "rough drafts" when getting deeper into the production and possibly polishing process. It's still hard for me to believe that what we heard on LPU XIV could have actually made it to ATS, had there not been a major shift in sound direction.

Positively mind-blowing :head:

Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

:rofl:

I'm in tears.