Kanye West LP#7

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Filip, May 23, 2014.

1. freddurst

freddurst I DID IT ALL FOR THE NOOKIE

The Life of Pablo is Kanye's worst album yet. Ever since he started dating Kim Kardashian, his music has gone downhill. Kanye is a joke. He is the black Donald Trump.

2. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

It's my opinion also that Pablo is his worst album, but blaming it on his wife is too far. If his recent music hasn't been as great, he is responsible himself. I won't say anything about you thinking that he's a joke. That's up to you to decide. I don't understand the Donald Trump comparison though. Kanye is eccentric and often disagreeable, but he really can't be compared to someone who claims that a whole religious community hates America.

If there's ever a point where I think Kanye's music changed, it's when his mother passed away and he blamed himself for it. There's obviously a deeply traumatic change that went on in his life and perspective of the world. But going too deep into that is tasteless. I just take his music for what it is, whether his recent music is something I like or not. Blaming his wife for what is, in your opinion, lackluster music is just.... shitty. I don't know how else to say it. That's just my two cents.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    Captain-EO likes this.
  3. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

^This.

Captain-EO likes this.
  4. Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

This.
    It's just shinning through in his lyrics, man :kappa:

TRIGGER WARNING

Now if I fuck this model
    And she just bleached her asshole
    And I get bleach on my T-shirt
    I'mma feel like an asshole

The album is a mess. If that is a deliberate choice Kanye made in order for the album to have some kind of deeper meaning, then it is not really executed well.
    It's fun to observe, but not something worth digging deeper into - Just like his personal life.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  5. Modern Guitar God

Those few bars are one of the reasons why I am kind of iffy about Pablo. I was talking more about his really dramatic change in sound after he lost his mother and felt guilty about it. It's especially evident on 808s. After that, his music was never really the same again. But like I said before, I don't feel great about analyzing or speaking on his personal life, so I'll leave it at that.

Your post did make me laugh though. Those lyrics haha. I agree that the album is a mess, but who knows, to others it's his best album. I might not either be seeing something or having some kind of experience or perspective that makes me appreciate it. All is well though, I suppose.

Captain-EO likes this.
  6. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

It's messy, but it's also so human, I think. It paints a fairly thorough and frank picture of where his head was at while he was writing it, for better or worse.

7. Modern Guitar God

This is true, imo. In some way, it encapsulates a particular moment in his life.

Captain-EO likes this.
  8. Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

I get that. I just wish it was more cohesive musically, lyrically and conceptually.
    I still love some tracks while others' remain lackluster.

Any thoughts on the new mix?
    I haven't given it a listen yet.

9. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

So Kanye performed his first sorta Life of Pablo concert here in Manila. His stage is kinda minimalistic compared to the Yeezus one. http://www.rappler.com/entertainmen...-paradise-international-music-festival-photos

His setlist was:

1. Ultralight Beam (outro)
    2. Stronger
    3. Power
    4. Black Skinhead
    5. All Day
    6. Father Stretch My Hands, Pt. 1
    7. Pt. 2
    8. Famous (did a 2-minute rant then did the song again)
    9. Waves
    10. Jesus Walks
    11. Clique
    12. Mercy
    13. Niggas in Paris
    14. Can't Tell Me Nothing
    15. Cold
    16. I Don't Like
    17. Blessings
    18. Pop Style (the new Drake song, with him and Jay-Z as featured artists)
    19. New Slaves
    20. Blood on the Leaves
    21. Runaway
    22. All Falls Down
    23. Gold Digger
    24. All of the Lights
    25. Touch the Sky
    26. Good Life
    27. Only One
    28. Bound 2
    29. Run This Town
    30. FourFiveSeconds
    31. Ultralight Prayer
    32. Only One

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  10. minuteforce

11. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I can just imagine thousands of people walking away disappointed when he closed the set with "FourFive" and fucking "Ultralight Prayer".

You made "Runaway", god damn it.

12. $pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

When I saw Kanye live 2 years ago, Runaway was in the middle of his set. He closed with Bound 2, and the encore was Blood on the Leaves. It was a pretty good set though, kind of a greatest hits type thing.

Black Skinhead into I Don't Like was the best opener ever, though.

13. Modern Guitar God

Captain-EO likes this.
  14. minuteforce

Same with the show I went to. :)

15. Modern Guitar God

His Yeezus shows were incredible. I went to one in Chicago and another in Newark. I heard Australia got kind of short listed on the stage design, but I actually liked the way it looked, from what I saw on YouTube. It looked like everyone was having a lot of fun too.

Captain-EO likes this.
  16. minuteforce

It didn't look bad by any means, but it wasn't the show that I paid to see; that show was cancelled and we had a rescheduled date months later that was completely different from what I expected.

17. $pvcxGhxztCasey

Try seeing him at a festival, where a good 80% of people hate him for something he did in 2008. Most intimate set I've ever seen performed at Bonnaroo by a headliner. It was.... interesting, to say the least.

[video=youtube;UCkSeTZTchs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCkSeTZTchs[/video]
    [video=youtube;7x_tTmxTqYQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x_tTmxTqYQ[/video]

18. Modern Guitar God

I remember that. People were writing "Fuck Kanye" and "gayfish" on walls, portable toilets, etc. When he started talking to the audience about the media and whatnot, there were people in the audience going "shut up!" "oh my God...."

I don't think he's ever going to be a likable person in American pop culture, but it's kind of bizarre how people say he's talentless while admitting they haven't heard much of his music. It's telling when you type "Kanye" into the YouTube search engine and most of the videos are about his personal life and controversies, rather than his music. I literally have to skip over at least 10-15 videos to actually find a music video by him, or something music related. It's...stupid, to put it bluntly.

Captain-EO likes this.
  19. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Correction: He ended with a continuation of "Only One". So it was a really soft ending. :lol:

20. $pvcxGhxztCasey

I personally loved the rants. All the people that were there to actually SEE Kanye and hear him perform, loved it and laughed and agreed with most of what he said. The dude is a certified rockstar, in a musical landscape where rockstars don't really exist anymore. It's funny, Jack White did a few rants that weekend during his set too, and nobody was booing him or writing disparaging remarks about him on Bonnaroo property (graffiti wall is one thing, it's allowed, but on portapotties and stuff? no, guys).

rap game Donald Trump
    (without all the bad stuff like sexism, racism, homophobia, etc.)