Death Grips - Jenny Death

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by SuperDude526, Mar 27, 2015.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Not digging it. Their music tends to have at least some kind of order, while this track is a complete mess. Am not jumping on the train.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

The song has like three different recurrent hooks/lyrical passages, which at least means it has a tangible structure.

N. on the Moon was way more confusing, cryptic and complex, to the point where it almost seemed absurd.
    I actually prefer this new take on their sound over that.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Nah, I don't think they can pass "ni**as on the moon" for me. That album was their peak sonically, experimentally and holds some of their most interesting lyrical work. I mean, yeah, a good portion of it is just absurd, but there are references to alien abductions, space... All sorts of weird shit I like.

This track, I mean, as much as I love to jump on the hype train and fuck around - it's a very fun track, but it's nowhere near their best. It doesn't hold up against the vast majority of Jenny Death, which is sort of the closest sound to it. Nevertheless, it feels new. And it's amazing DG can do that. I'm hella excited for Bottomless Pit.

The parts where he screams "my cobra hand draped in multa" are just... ugh. Eargasm.

Alexrednex

I love NOTM but some of the deep cuts on that album didn't quite work for me.
    The song isn't on their top tier level(that being songs like The Fever(aye aye), I've Seen Footage, Up My Sleeves, On GP, Inanimate Sensation, Death Takyon, etc.) but I guess we kind of disagree,
    because I would take Hot Head over songs off Jenny Death in the vain of I Break Mirrors With My Face In The United States any day.
    It's just even more insane.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    Filip

[​IMG]

BOTTOMLESS PIT MAY 6TH 2016

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

WHAT THE FUCK.

Filip

I'm gonna guess it has something to do with the final lines on the album.

On a related note.

http://i.imgur.com/yN3426w.gifv

Alexrednex

Bottomless Pit Leaked

(Spoiler) Damn a lot of these songs feel very similar. Almost all the songs have hooks, and follow a certain Verse-Hook-Verse formular with few surprises. MC Ride also sounds a lot more calmer and understandable. I know Death Grips can write amazing hooks (see The Money Store), however, I'm not feeling many of the hooks on this album yet.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    Filip

I haven't heard the album yet, but, as you could probably guess, I'm hyped as fuck.

Gibs

It just kinda dawned on me that there is going to be a new Death Grips album in FOUR days. I've known for a while, of course. But it's just now hitting me. HYPEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Alexrednex

Okay, I like the album now. It's definitely a grower.
    2-3 of the tracks are a little meh, but overall it's pretty damn good.
    It will be fun to rank all their albums after this one has settled in a bit.

At first I was like Eh.
    But honestly, Bottomless Pit has grown into my FAVORITE Death Grips album to date.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    Filip

I thought it was time to finally post my thoughts, so, here goes.

Is it my favorite Death Grips album? No. Is it a damn good album? Yes.

"Hot Head" was so fucking heavy, total savagery. It made me think the whole album would be like that. I found out through r/deathgrips that it wouldn't be like that before I listened, but I was still expecting a very different album from what we got.

"Good Ideas" is very much in a similar vein as "Hot Head", some of the heaviest shit the band has ever done, and it's appropriately mindblowing. Ride's flow is so delicate and precise here, it's amazing to listen to. A standout line for this is "lead heavy, lead us, remedy us" and the rest of the verse. The new additions to "Hot Head" made the song even better, and it remains one of my favorites on the album. "Spikes" is some of the catchiest, grooviest shit the band has ever written, and at this point I kinda began to see why people were comparing this album to The Money Store. "Warping" is in the vein of the heavier cuts on No Love Deep Web, and I love it for that. I hoped for an album similar to No Love Deep Web, so the track very much sits right with me. As does the next track, probably my favorite, "Eh". Also very much in the vein of NLDW, the track is simple, and just straight up evil as fuck. The most delicate flow Ride has delivered and a lyrical standout on this album ("i'm way too loose, like / catch me hangin from my noose, like... eh"). It's just a sound Death Grips hasn't explored too much, and it comes off so refreshing. "Bubbles" has grown on me quite a bit, it's got a monsterous hook and a vile beat. The album takes a dip with "Trash". Way too rough and repetitive, though I get the idea of the track. "Houdini", followed by "BB Poison" and "Three Bedrooms In A Good Neighborhood", is a trio of, in my opinion very similar songs. I like them all, they're fun, but they don't feel fresh at all. It feels like a revisitation of their 2012 material, but not nearly as vicious and creative. "Ring A Bell" was an initial favorite, but I've come to have mixed feelings about it. There's only so much you can do with that little in a song, and I feel like it'll get old pretty quickly. Now, the final two tracks are total standouts. Have you guys noticed how fucking rough and abrasive the bass in the chorus of "80808" is? Holy shit. I fucking love it. It's do damn catchy, too. The closing track continues giving me the same feeling - this is Death Grips just being fun as fuck. "i fucked you in half" never sounded so good. It's a very well produced and very well constructed song, feels very Exmilitary.

Lyrically, the phrase "very shallow listening" comes into play. I think this is honestly the first Death Grips album which says nothing important or very interesting either. It's got a bunch of fun and catchy lines, but, on the whole, it's not cryptic, it's not overly serious, it's just made to sound fun. And that's fine, some ni**as on the moon like lyrics wouldn't fit the sound, but, still, I think Ride decided to focus on perfecting his flow and delivery over the content this time, and the flow is fucking great.

Production wise, as all Death Grips albums ever, this is complete fucking craziness, and I love it. It all sounds amazing, but still, I can't get passed the fact some of these songs are not particularly fresh sounding. They feel like rehashes of older stuff. Had anyone else made this album, that's great, but, this is Death Grips and you just hold them to an impossibly high standard and somehow, they always completely exceed your expectations or at least match them.

Speaking of which, do you know when DG released "Full Moon"? In March 2011. That's barely five years ago. Since then: Death Grips EP, Exmilitary, The Money Store, Live from Death Valley, No Love Deep Web, Government Plates, ni**as on the moon, Fashion Week, Jenny Death, Interview 2016 and Bottomless Pit. That's not even mentioning Hella and the i.l.y.'s.

No one does that shit in five years. No one. We're witnessing a truly incredible band and not enough people are noticing. I don't know if I'm glad I do or sad they don't.

Alexrednex

To me, this is the album in which Death Grips truly embrace their own career, craziness and fanbase lyrically and instrumentally.
    Songs like Eh, Trash, Hot Head, Good Ideas all sound like direct meta-commentary, going deeper into the mindset of what makes DG stand out in the music industry and what it is that drives their following.

The album is more straight forward than some of their earlier releases (Like NOTM), but this is what enables Death Grips to plug into your earphones with a "No bullshit filter". Everything is in its right place, and every track brings something new to the table.
    What makes the record even more fantastic is how DG manage to combine these distorted, fucked-up beats with melodic hook-driven choruses which all are extremely memorable.
    Memorability is probably the album's biggest strength in my eyes. With every DG release I have felt that at least a few tracks simple were underwritten or sometimes straight up filler.
    However, Bottomless Pit has none of that. Every track beats to the drum of their own beat.

In many ways this is DG's version of Living Things, but, unlike LP, DG are at their core a bunch of madmen geniuses that even when revisiting old sounds somehow make them feel fresh and innovative (again). TPTB might have been more ambitious, but this album tops that project in terms of consistency.
    The Money Store came first, but BP is in many ways the spiritual successor to that record - and IMO it may actually be better.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    mastae

mastae Some Honky

All I have to say is that BP is probably now my 2nd favorite DG record next to The Money Store. This is fucking great.

Gibs

[video=youtube;UWkJghqMSpo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWkJghqMSpo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Filip

My favorite band. As of this day.