Thrice

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by chris2, Dec 23, 2014.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

You won't regret it. Tracks like Silhouette, Paper Tigers, and Under A Killing Moon are unreal. It's a little bit jarring going back to their earlier albums IMO due to the rawer production and vocals, but the instrumentals are on fire. Just listened to Identity Crisis, Illusion of Safety and The Artist In The Ambulance this afternoon and completely forgot how many buried treasures are hidden in those early albums.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

You guys just made me go back to that record now, and fuck, Paper Tigers final is one hell of a climax.

But my favorite from that record remains "The abolition of man". I cannot stress enough how much I dig that track.

Atticus

That ridiculously groovy guitar riff in the last minute or so is the stuff of legend.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

I still haven't checked out any other albums besides The Alchemy Index yet, but I've been listening to a lot of songs from each album on YouTube. What I've found is that I'm liking Post-Vheissu Thrice a lot better than Pre-Vheissu Thrice. I'm probably going to check out Beggars and Major/Minor soon enough.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I don't really like the new track or, anything, really, I've heard from these guys, except for "Digital Sea", which is fucking mindblowing. Has almost a Radiohead vibe. Do they have more electronic stuff like that?

EDIT: I wanna say I haven't heard much from them, though. So, don't think I dislike them or anything. I wouldn't mind an album recommendation.

Qwerty19

If you like Digital Sea, you might dig the whole "Water" EP. There were four of those EP (Water, Air, Earth, Fire), each of them having a very distinct sound. The "Water" one had that electronic, moody vibe. But actually, I'd recommend the four EP, as they really showcase the band's diversity

Otherwise, their album "Vheissu" would be my definitive pick.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Vheissu.

Best songs: Of Dust and Nations, Red Sky, Image of the Invisible

Atticus

Pre-Vheissu Thrice is definitely more raw/garageband in a sense, but they knew how to fucking jam. What kills the early albums for me is Dustin's whinier vocals, whereas I find Post-Vheissu his voice finally matured and became that rugged, timbered sound. If Blood On The Sand is any indication, his vocals are only getting better with time.

Qwerty19

That'll sound dumb, but I've sometimes had the idea that Dustin voice and... Chester voice have somewhat followed an opposite pattern. While Chester used to had that grit back then, his agressive singing has become more and more nasal and "flat". While as for Dustin, it's like the exact opposite.

Gibs

This is actually the exact reason why I can't get into the early stuff. While musically, the stuff is great, the vocals are so clean and whiny, that it really turns me off from those albums. There's no grit in his voice.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    Atticus

I agree, though really only more on a live basis, as I still think Chester nails aggression in the studio, but that's neither here nor there. Listen to Dustin's live cover of Miley Cyrus' Wrecking Ball for example. The idea sounds absolutely ridiculous but the execution is incredible due to the power in his voice.

Qwerty19

Wow.

That was impressive, indeed. Man, that guy got a fucking talent.

chris2

chris2 Smiling At Strangers On Trains LPA Super Member

Dustin's talent is unreal. His voice gives me the chills.
    I agree that he sounded kinda whiney back then, but for me it doesn't really take away from the music. Instrumentally their old stuff is superb.
    His singing voice matured and improved A LOT though.
    I really like this "newer" acoustic performance of Artist In The Ambulance. It really shows how much more powerful he sounds nowadays.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlptttDEyBA

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

The entire album front to back is incredible. Not one bad song. I always viewed this album like an A Thousand Suns or Kid A for this band.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

So I'm listening to Vheissu for the first time, and I'm getting the same vibes as when I listened to Underoath's Ø (Disambiguation). The tones are very similar and that's a good thing IMO.

chris2

chris2 Smiling At Strangers On Trains LPA Super Member

Gibs

Atticus

Such a gloomy track! If these are the singles then I can't wait to hear the deep hits in the album! If Derek's interview on Altwire with Riley was anything to go by, Salt And Shadow should be absolutely incredible.

Qwerty19

Digging the verses a lot :)

Gibs

I must say, I'm really digging how politically charged, and socially conscious these two songs have been. Blood On The Sand is very obviously about the refuge crisis, and Black Honey seems to be a critque of America's foreign policy. I really dig them.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016