LP songs with fade out ending

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Vinifeijo, Apr 28, 2016.

Vinifeijo

Vinifeijo i'm dancing with matt damons

I was wondering how many Linkin Park songs end with the "fade out" effect, where a certain part keeps repeating and the volume just slowly drops down.
    The opposite way as OSC, where the music has a proper ending. ALITS ends with a fade out in the synth and keyboard, but it's not with vocals or something complex, it's still a crafted ending.

In my opinion, finishing a song with fade out is lazy work.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

I would personally agree. Artists who use fade outs in their songs seem extremely lazy to me. All that tells me is that they can't develop a proper ending to their song. It is a common practice though, so whatever.

As to LP songs? Idk.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    AaronJxD

AaronJxD Well-Known Member

I like some fadeouts, as far as I know LP haven't used it, at least on a studio album.

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

I honestly can't think of any LP songs that do this, besides the one you mentioned.

Other bands do it a lot, especially Deafheaven, but LP seem to avoid it as much as they can.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

"Let Down" off the DBS album, and "My December"

Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

My December is the one that comes to mind most. But also Cure for the Itch does as well. It was supposed to segue into the High Voltage reprise or whatever, right? You can hear the synth fading out at the beginning of High Voltage (which itself also fades out at the very end).

These are incredibly picky because they technically are fade outs but not how I think you mean:

With You ends with a fade out. The ending synth slowly fades out into Points of Authority.

If I'm going to be THAT pedantic I might as well add that the sink sound in Crawling fades out. :lol:

Breaking the Habit fades directly into the feedback that opens From the Inside.

:D

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Fucking Comfortably Numb :kappa:

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Oh, yeah, that's true

JonasTheRoman

JonasTheRoman Well-Known Member

I think fade outs like in With You can't be described as "lazy", because the ending is a seperate part from the rest. I think songs that fade out in a way the song would repeat endlessly are kind of lazy. You know, the final chorus just repeating over and over again, with vocals and everything.
    But that's not what LP normally does. E.g. in My December the scratching is not looped and makes for a nice outro. Also the fade out fits very well to the mellow style of the song.
    Another example of a fade out I don't mind is "Dead Silence" by Billy Talent. That one could be described as a real fade out, as the same segment with vocals repeats endlessly. But here that song marks the end of the album, so it makes the album slowly fade out and vanish, which I like from the perspective of the album.
    So I wouldn't regard any fade out as lazy. If it fits the album (e.g. LP's songs flowing into each other, a fade out ending the album etc.) or the mood of the song (e.g. My December) it is perfectly fine. Also if it isn't a pure fade out with a main element of the song repeating including vocals, it's also fine most of the time, as the artist have crafted a seperate "element" for the outro.

Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

I'll agree on this one. The only horrible fade out I can think of is "Let Down" by DBS

Vinifeijo

Let Down is exactly what i meant.

I thought about this when listening to A7x's 'Coming Home'. Good music, shit ending.

Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

Red to Black, not LP but still

UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

Totally irrelevant here, but Dead Silence is the best. The album AND the song.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Yeah i agree here.

JonasTheRoman

Yeah! :lol: But personally I think Cure For The Enemy is the best song from the album. It's a song they've been already working on for years before the album and finally got it right so they could release it. And one can hear that, it's such a good song!
    But I hope they'll release the new album soon. It's been a long time already (compared with the last albums) and they're already recording since January.
    Sorry for OT. :lol:

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

I agree that fade-outs always seems lazy. I really like hearing a song that does it live and hearing how they end the song, and always wonder why they didn't just do that on the album. But yeah, do any of LPs tracks do that? I can see why With You somewhat qualifies, but at least that definitively ends the main final chorus and drops into just a single arrangement of elements, that could easily just end on the same measure they fade out in without decreasing in volume. And obviously the tracks that fade into other tracks are engineered that way for the album-listening experience, and most of them kind of end themselves properly anyways.

Here's hoping there's no fades on LP7 lol.

Vinifeijo

Ending a song with fade out is like a movie trailer ending with a poster.

UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

I think they should have a single out soon. They already started a campaign hyping the new single with the full lyrics to the song and such, so I'd expect a summer release.

And just for the sake of this post, fade-outs are lazy. Like really. I'd even take an abrupt stop with no ending note over a fade-out.

JonasTheRoman

Yeah, I hope it's out in May when the contest has ended.

Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

I can confirm that "She Couldn't" also ends in a looped fade, with the vocals (Chester and Mike), synths, and other instruments constantly repeating as the volume decreases. This is one of the few songs with repetition at the end that I truly like, as it goes with the mood/vibe of the song. Not to mention that I personally think that the synths that come in roughly half-way through the song are among LP's best, in terms of atmosphere and sampling.