Marvel Cinematic Universe — Phase III

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Will, May 7, 2015.

1. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I never said he couldn't or shouldn't ask for as much money as he's entitled to. I'm not naive; I know how Hollywood works. He's earned every penny he's made so far, and he deserves to keep making the kind of money that he's been making. That's not my point. He's a part of something much bigger than himself now. Yes, he's been the face of the MCU since its inception (for the most part), but asking for (I believe) $30 million to be in Civil War, and then demanding that he get an even larger cut of the profits if Civil War outperforms The Winter Soldier (which it most certainly will) just comes across as incredibly greedy and douchey to me. It's not even his movie! Marvel almost couldn't make Civil War if they couldn't get RDJ on board. That's absurd. Marvel shouldn't be tucking tail when it comes to RDJ. Either he plays ball with them or he doesn't. It's insane to me that he and Scarlett Johannson make $25-30 million-plus for the movies they're in where the others make less than $10 million a piece. Civil War is a Captain America movie and he's making the third-most out of the entire cast. That's just...doesn't seem right to me. I know it's a silly opinion to have and it shouldn't bother me, but it does. I know it's because of their contracts, but I digress. Oh, well.

I agree about Michael Keaton, though. I think it's simply that he didn't care for the script or the character they were asking him to play (many suspect Vulture) rather than that Marvel couldn't afford him. As for Joaquin Phoenix, I vaguely recall him saying in an interview that he'd have loved to play Strange but wasn't asked to, but I could be misremembering.

2. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

[thumb]https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/13055338_1360401343976434_5642673013204812601_n.jpg?oh=84c8b041894a7be5214f942ca13789ed&oe=57BB2D51[/thumb][thumb]https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtl1/v/t1.0-9/13102699_1360401347309767_8418229988219501174_n.jpg?oh=6c08e0fd5d7b4ca3b77a02cda58ed656&oe=57B8CFD6[/thumb]

3. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

That photoshop though :lol:

4. Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

Not news, but hooooooooolllllllyyyyyyy shit this is movie is the best.

5. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Easily my favorite Marvel movie so far. It had a great balance of dramatic weight and some comedic levity.

This is what BvS could've been... less about a fight between the superheroes but the ideologies they stand for and the lengths they go to fight for it. Civil War nailed this idea and that's why it worked so well. For the first time in a Marvel film I felt like there were genuine stakes. I can't see what Russo Brothers do with the Avengers films now.

6. lovablepanda

lovablepanda Well-Known Member

What how are you guys seeing this already WHHHHHHATTTTT

EDIT: SON OF A GUN IT RELEASED INTERNATIONALLY TODAY

7. The Joesen One

It was a great movie. It sometimes falls in the same traps that BvS had, but it's a lot more mature than most Marvel offerings, and you don't really know who's right and wrong. I'm pretty sure you guys will be polarized by Zemo. The climactic fight scene in the airport is fantastic, especially Ant-Man and Spider-Man.

8. Zak

Zak HEY, EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!

The biggest issue I had with this movie is Zemo. Besides his convoluted as fuck plot the movie was pretty good.

9. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I agree.

10. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

I really liked the idea behind him and what he brought forth, but his scheme was convoluted as hell, which is being generous to it. The whole "Winter Soldier Squad" plot was really unnecessary, I felt. Still, interesting villain. His "more powerful people than me have tried to destroy them, now I'll let them destroy eachother"-line was awesome.

This movie made me really excited for the Black Panther movie.

11. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I'm excited for "Spider-Man: Homecoming" or w/ever it's called, Holland is gonna do great as a lead

12. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Hell, I might even watch that Aunt May spin-off if it's with this Aunt May :kappa:

13. The Joesen One

I loved how, despite not having equal screentime, (almost) everyone has a balanced, full arc (except for Hawkeye, again). Rarely do movies have stuff like these. Also, Martin Freeman has a solid American accent. :lol:

14. BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

[Spoilers] Overall I enjoyed it, but I HATE that no one died. I have the same complaint I have with Ultron, which is that the film felt like it had no consequences.

15. TEGCRocco

TEGCRocco The LPL Invader

Were there no consequences, though? Spoilers: Steve, Clint, Sam, Scott, Wanda, and presumably Natasha are all now fugitives. On the run from the law. Panther is harboring and protecting two wanted men, Steve and Bucky, something I'm sure the US won't be too fond of. The Avengers are divided, with basically just Tony, Rhodey, Vision, and I guess Peter(?) being allowed to legally operate. The bond that had formed between Steve and Tony is broken, and I don't see that being mended for a while, if ever. Everything Cap fought for all movie slipped away from him in the post-credits scene, when Bucky went back into cryo-sleep. Sure, no one died, but this was absolutely a movie with consequences, and one that did not wrap up all nicely like Ultron did. The only character who didn't really suffer during this movie was Peter.

16. Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Clearly there were consequences if the events in AoU led to Civil War.

Anyway, it was okay. Nothing special. First hour dragged ass.
    Overall, felt like a very linear version of BvS. Similar storylines, but Civil War told it better.

17. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Some thoughts on Civil War:

• While I'm not quite sure if I can say that this was the best Marvel film to date yet, it was definitely the most mature and emotionally engaging. I really loved that.
    • Zemo, while having good movitations, was completely and utterly underdeveloped. The only thing he was was a plot device. If written slightly differently, I don't think he even would need to be in this movie.
    • Spider-Man was FANTASTIC.
    • Black Panther was also great, I just wish we had a lot more of him. I thought that he was going to have a bigger role than he actually had.
    • Like The Josen One said, I really love how each Avenger (Hawkeye and Ant-Man aside), had a great arc. Almost every single one of them came out changed. The movie was incredibly well balanced when it came to the characters.
    • Adding on to that previous thought a bit, I love how even though you have all of these larger than life characters on screen, it still very much feels like a Captain America film. His relationship with Bucky really drives the film.
    • THE AIRPORT SCENE MAN. FUCKING FANTASTIC.
    • While it doesn't change my enjoyment of the movie, I thought it was kinda weird how the film just abruptly ends. There doesn't seen to be much resolution to what went on. Then again, this may just be a method in reinforcing in the audience's mind the consequences this film has on the MCU. I love how the Avengers are basically completely broken at this point, leaving Thanos ready to completely fuck Earth in the ass.
    • It would be really cool if Bucky is going to be in Black Panther.
    • I love the dynamic Falcon and Bucky had. It was great. :lol: Wish we had more of them going back and forth.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  18. Halfway Dwight

Halfway Dwight We are the fortunate ones.

My favorite marvel movie so far. The pacing was great, it was never rushed or dragged on. I like that, even though it was a big cast, it managed to focus on each character and their motivations.

19. Will

Civil War was fantastic. It's not without its flaws and weird "what's up with that" moments, but I think it's the second-best MCU movie (after The Winter Soldier). I even enjoyed Tony Stark, and I hate Tony Stark.

20. Will

Supposed plot details for Spider-Man: Homecoming have leaked via JoBlo, well-known for its scoops, including several scoops about Civil War months before their acknowledgement.

Additionally, rumor has it that Marvel is considering adding Vincent D'Onofrio to the cast to reprise his role as Kingpin from Daredevil.

Also, it would appear that Michael Keaton has resumed talks to play the villain in Homecoming, and many are speculating he'll play Vulture or Norman Osborn.