What is the most disappointing thing Linkin Park has ever done to you?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by LPGuy, May 12, 2014.

1. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

I think he was just joking about that.

I hope.

I get made fun of too much

2. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

i've changed my mind, it's clearly a mushroom cloud

3. JonasTheRoman

JonasTheRoman Well-Known Member

He wasn't making fun of you! I think that was just in reference to the fact there were two groups of people regarding this, mainly back when ATS came out: The ones saying the cover shows a sun and the ones saying it shows a bird. :lol: I guess those are still the two main interpretations today...
    But imo one can't really deny that the cover at least hints at a sun, after all the album is named after it. :lol: But - as I said in an equally philosophical manner like you - this doesn't stop the other interpretations form being valid.

Ok, I should overthink what I just said. :lol:

4. AThousandLivingTheories

AThousandLivingTheories Mark The Graves

No "Making of The Hunting Party".

5. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

Not coming anywhere near Cleveland since 2007. Probably because I got into the band in 2008 and Mike is scared of me :deadgiveaway:

6. freddurst

freddurst I DID IT ALL FOR THE NOOKIE

Cultural Appropriation, incorporating hip hop elements in their music is so offensive and racist. They need to stop stealing from my culture.... JK ;)

7. Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

Good one, man :lol:

LP's incorporation of hip-hop is virtually the only reason I ever became interested in hip-hop, rap, etc. There was just something about rapping over guitars that REALLY did it for me, something that can't be fully explained. I suppose the greatest irony of my musical tastes is that I frequently listen to very aggressive (instrumentally and vocally) music, despite not being an aggressive person at all :lol:

8. HybridT

HybridT Well-Known Member

No "Rebellion" music video.

9. GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

+1

10. Modern Guitar God

I agree. They made some videos showing the evolution of some songs but nothing as lengthy as Meeting of a Thousand Suns or Making Minutes to Midnight (can't remember the actual title). I would've liked to see how more of THP's writing, especially since it's LP's most musically intricate album.

11. Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

That they refuse to play so many songs live, like come on, every song in an artists discography should be played at least once, especially songs that are as straight forward as Powerless and I'll Be Gone.

12. Modern Guitar God

Because Brad? :kappa:

13. Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

I can agree with this 100x over.

14. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

I can understand why they really wouldn't. Like it or not, most people going to their shows probably only know their first 2-3 records. Playing deep cuts, or any kind of song from an album post-ATS would just alienate most of the patrons.

15. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

I understand it, but I don't agree with it. Most bands in their position (ie. with 5/6/7 albums total) play at least 5 new songs every night when they're touring. LP were playing two by the end of the tour. It's not really about playing enough songs even, it's just that they don't rotate them. There's no reason why GU can't be dropped some nights for something like KTTK. Yes they're dropping a popular song some nights but they already play so many of their biggest hits. And even if they didn't want to drop any kits, and just swap around the new songs, there's no reason why they couldn't swap Wastelands for AFN some nights. Or ALITS for MTG. Or play Drawbar as an intro to FM. They play 22ish songs every night IIRC. They could easily have played a rotating cast of 6 or so hits off the first two albums, play 3 or so off of MTM, 3 or so off of ATS and LT combined (WFTE, BID and CoG), and still have had 6 slots left for THP, and that would have only totalled up to 18 songs. They would still have had room to throw in three or four deep cuts every night for good measure, whether it's Nobody's Listening or Blackout.

I just think that if you see a band live it's the least you can do to listen to their new record. With this set, you'd still be getting 9-13 songs from the first three albums, depending on how the deep cuts are allocated, and if they bothered listening to their new album (which if they don't even bother to, they have no right to complain), they they'll know 15-19 of the songs. Like, I'm not saying to ditch the first three albums and just play ATS in its entirety, as much as I'd love that, but even with this system, they could get through 80% of their hits every night, and still rotate the entire new album. I just find it amazing how the guys themselves are perfectly content with their sets. If I were them, I'd be trying to fit as many deep cuts and new songs in as I could, just to mix it up a little and make it less monotonous to play. Up until ATS they were really good at making sure every song (except for Robot Boy) got played live, and then suddenly they decided to only play half of their most recent two albums. I just find it really weird. :lol:

16. Tocaraca

Tocaraca A part of me screams away silently

^I second this.
    It wouldn't be my favourite LP song, but it would be a good one.

Also, Mike's live rapping style just sounds shit to me. Especially in Guilty All The Same. He could rap Rakim's part well live if he did it the same as he raps in studio versions of LP songs.

17. JonasTheRoman

JonasTheRoman Well-Known Member

Even weirder so, they stopped playing most new songs at the same time while they said LT consists of "firecracker" live songs to spice up their shows.

18. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

@Iopia

I hink the band knows the people who attending their shows, and most of them, sadly, are their for the first records. THP couuld be sooooooooooooooo good, it doesnt give the "fanbase" the old sound back.
    I think they need to decide, if they want to reduce their "old" sound at live erformances now and try different stuff, or just do "fan" service.

19. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Exactly. The thing is, I just don't know any other bands (excluding older artists) who just don't play most of their new material live. Personally, I don't think they need to play 5 out of the 11 full songs from Hybrid Theory every single night. If they just played ITE, OSC, and Papercut, and then rotated in a fourth some nights that would be plenty. I don't know any other bands who plays almost half of a fifteen year old album every night, especially when they have four other albums that also topped the charts and a new album that they're meant to be touring. I know a lot of fans are there for HT and HT only, but personally I don't think the band should care.

I actually don't really mind the fact that they play so much from Hybrid Theory and Meteora, but the real kicker for me is that they never rotate anything. There wouldn't be a problem with how many songs they play from each album if they just changed it up every once in a while. Play By Myself instead of Points of Authority one night. Play Figure .09 instead of From The Inside the next. I don't think they're going to alienate the crowd with the occasional minor switch like that, especially when they're still going to get all the big hits. Then rotate the new songs too, MTG instead of ALITS, AFN instead of Wastelands. Throw in one or two deep cuts every now and again, not every song on the set has to be a single. Play In Pieces instead of Given Up one night. Play Skin to Bone instead of Burn It Down the next. Just one or two surprises every night. Almost every other band I follow does this, LP just seem to have a thing about thinking they have to play every single single (heh) that they've ever released, while in actuality if one or two went missing every night (and I'm not talking about ITE or Numb, I mean songs like the ones I mentioned), most people wouldn't particularity care as long as they get the real big hits.

Actually, despite what it may look like, I don't particularily care (I just felt like ranting :lol:), if the band ever comes to my country again I'll 100% be going and I'm 100% sure I'll love it, but I just find it a little bit odd that the guys themselves don't want to mix it up a bit. I can't think of any other band as young as them who barely vary their sets at all from night to night. Again, if they rotated in one or two rarities each night, they'd only have to drop, well, one or two songs like POA or FTI. Again, it doesn't particularily bother me, but I just find it a little bit odd, even if I know why they do it. I also don't think they're bothered relearning more songs than they have to, but I hope that's not the reason. :lol:

(Sorry for the rant, I got a bit carried away :lol:)

20. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Basically every artist except LP is good at putting together setlists that are geared towards their current/upcoming releases while still balancing old and new material.