Mike Shinoda shares his letter to the band in Studio Update #5

Discussion in 'News' started by Kevin, Jun 28, 2016.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I enjoyed that studio tour. I hope that the band really take their time with the album

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Okay, now I'm hyped.

MagmaXtreme

MagmaXtreme Well-Known Member

What I'm weary of is that they're taking more time than usual due to the different approach they're moving forward with(songwriting first, instrumental production after), and they could still put out the same quality of music as before if they're not thinking more outside the box in general as opposed to what is 'pushing the envelope' for themselves only.

Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

I just hope the mixing is as good as it was on MTM. No song is even near clipping. If it needs to be louder, turn your system up.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Exciting that they want to focus on experimentation and live instruments again. It's time for the prevalent return of strings, god dammit.

Also the only thing I have against the album coming in 2017, hell, 2018 if it's amazing, is that I'll lose a bet.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Hybrid Theory had songs that were rewritten over the course of 3-4 years. A Thousand Suns took almost two years to write and record. Both are considered to be 'classic' records by the band.

My point? Those are arguably their two most 'timeless' albums, and they took the longest developmental time. If the band needs till 2017 to write what Mike wants to be their best record...then so be it. I'd rather have a well-written and well thought out record than a rushed mediocre one.

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

Yes! I would love for real strings to return. All the synth strings in the last three albums have been cringey

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Best LP album? Certainly buzz words, again and again.

Once Mike backs up his words with some 5 stars quality music, I'll be happy. For now, blah :lol:

... That's not a tease at a particular record of theirs. Just that everytime LP releases something, they talk about it like it'll shake the Earth or something.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

To be fair every band does this :lol:

Qwerty19

Nah. Some bands, they'll just say "hey, we're releasing some new music", and then the record turns out to be fucking great. But the bands stay very humble about it :)

To be honest, I've never seen a "hey, this is gonna be our best record!" band actually releasing their best record.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I believe Mike means it more in the way that they would feel it was their best record. He wants them to craft their proudest record. Opinions are usually highly subjective, so there's likely never going to be an album they release that everyone is head over heels in love with. Even if 90% of critics say its their best work and the best record ever, there will still be those that think it's dog crap.

So when I see Mike making claims like that, he's probably stating that he wants to make a record that the band personally feels is their best. Not critics. Because Mike knows as well as anybody that you cannot please everyone.

Qwerty19

That's true, in a way it's ambitious. It's good to be.

But yeah. I guess I'll be prudent with the hype stuff :lol:

Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

For me, although I really loved HT, and still do in many respects, I'm not sure the re-writing of some of the songs actually made them better. Some of the earlier demos actually sound a fair bit more interesting and varied then the final end product. So it's not necessarily a cast iron fact that spending a lot of time fine tuning songs is always the best way to go.

Migueltorres

Migueltorres Well-Known Member

Mike always finds a leitmotiven for each record : firecracker for LT , Visceral for THP , experimental and " Crazy " for this one so let jim talk and see what happens , the exciting part is coming in 3/4 months i hope . About the " best LP album " , it s really subjective seen the wideness of LP fanbase ' s taste : some think ATS is far superior than any other , some think it s garbage , some people even think LT is their best record and LGM one of their best songs ( for ex ) so ...

LIFTMEUPLETMEGO

LIFTMEUPLETMEGO Member

That's exactly how I feel about I'll be gone. Primo was so much better and I wish they had just stuck with it.

shadowofthehabit92

shadowofthehabit92 Well-Known Member

I'm really glad that they are taking their time on this album. While I enjoyed Living Things and THP when they first came out, they have not aged as well, in my opinion. I'm glad that they want to experiment with different sounds, as well as continue with live instrumentation. I felt that THP had some of the best instrumentation to date and they improved themselves as musicians ( Brad and Rob mostly); however, I want to see them take that and utilize it in a non hard-rock fashion. I love hard rock, but I feel like it has become stale and that a lot of the heavier music these days doesn't give me the same feeling as it used to.

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

Eh, I'll let the first single be the thing that makes or breaks my hype for the album. Since I've been on this website I've learned to take every single word related to new music that comes out of Mike Shinoda's mouth with an oversized grain of sand. There will always be buzzwords. There will always be hype building strategies. Am I calling Mike a 'bad' guy? No. He's an awesome dude, but he is also an artist and it is an artist's job to try and sell their craft. We shouldn't jump to any conclusions about anything album-related until we either hear something or get real, solid facts from the band; not half truths and emotionally-filled words.

Also, shouldn't Linkin Park be trying to make their 'best' album every time they go into the studio to record a new one?

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

That studio looks so cosy. I'd love to be in a band like that, getting paid to hang out with my friends making music and relaxing in the studio, I spot a pool table!

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

They probably spend shitloads on the studio.

Austin Vicenty

Austin Vicenty No Longer Active

I would spend shitloads to be in that studio if I had the money for it. Make some great music then earn all the money right back through record sales :)