Mike Shinoda shares his letter to the band in Studio Update #5

Discussion in 'News' started by Kevin, Jun 28, 2016.

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

What stuck to me wasn't that they are hyping up the album, as you said, of course they are, but instead it's how they're hyping it up. "Firecracker" and even "visceral" don't excite me nearly as much as "weird" and "experimental". While yes, any band will always be trying to make the best album that they can whenever they enter the studio, they can try to do that in a variety of ways.

Living Things was a record where the band described extensively how they took inspiration from their earlier work, to use the "Linkin Park Toolbox" to create the record. Similarly, The Hunting Party was described as a prequel to Hybrid Theory, again, drawing inspiration from the same sources that inspired them to write their debut. In both of these cases, the band were trying to make the best album that they could, but they did it by drawing inspiration from the past. This time, their (or at least Mike's) philosophy seems to be closer to the kind they had when making MTM and ATS. While obviously, we have no idea what the record will sound like, we can tell a lot from the way it's being discussed. The fact that they're talking publicly about a desire to "get weirder" and experiment this early on in the process is actually a huge piece of information. Considering how far the band are from completing the album, it shows that Mike really has a determination to make this album something special and unique, so much that he's put out this statement before he has anything to prove it with, almost as if he's forcing himself not to take the easy route. Maybe I'm reading too much into all of this, but I'm just very excited to hear Mike talk so candidly about wanting to experiment. The way they seem to be describing the album so far really reminds me of the way they discussed ATS. Obviously the few bits and pieces of information we've gotten so far isn't nearly enough to know what the album will sound like, and I'm trying desperately to keep my expectations low, but this note really excited me.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Not even close.

Like, the amount of money the band makes from record sales is terribly low. Without touring, they'd be broke.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

Fucking hell ''firecracker'', ''toolbox'' and ''visceral'' were so stupid :lol: There was ''genre busting'' for ATS as well. They need to stop with that shit.

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

What do you expect him to say? "This album isn't going to be as good as the others but we hope you'll like it anyway?" :lol:

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Now that'd be a daring marketing campaign! "This album sucks. Have fun"

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

...Am I the only one who thinks that letter sounds hilariously fabricated (or at the very least, edited like crazy to remove references to anything specific)? Like...if you're in a band and emailing your bandmates/collaborators about the direction of the material you're currently writing, being this vague wouldn't accomplish anything. It'd be a waste of an email.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who doesn't mind fabricated letters and buzzwords? lol

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I don't mind the buzzwords too much. On the fence about fabricated letters #lettergate

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Mike does write letters that sound like that. Having been contacted by him on Twitter for the LT Scavenger Hunt, and having received stuff for AltWire...Mike does talk like this :lol:.

shadowofthehabit92

shadowofthehabit92 Well-Known Member

What do you think Mike didn't want us to see in studio tour? Before he opens the door to a room, he says he needs to check to see if anything is in there we aren't supposed to see.

minuteforce

Naked Chester.

You never know where.

You never know when.

thor

thor Well-Known Member

lol and especially with a 360 camera. There could be a naked Chester singing in the corner.

Migueltorres

Migueltorres Well-Known Member

A little part of me would have enjoyed a THP part 2 dropping this summer, but changes are essential in LP career so ..

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Was gonna say, he even talks like this in interviews.

This place is just getting weirder.

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Of course it's fabricated. Mike wrote it to the fans, but made it a bit more interesting...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    minuteforce

So Linkin Park have lied to us. How ironic. :kappa:

JonasTheRoman

JonasTheRoman Well-Known Member

At least Chester already admitted it since "Pushing Me Away". :kappa:

On a serious note, I'm now pretty sure Mike wrote the letter - as you guys already said, it really sounds like him.
    Whether he wrote it originally to the band or not - I'm not so sure. You know, it sounds a bit like he would talk to not-so-close contacts. But, for what we know, they spend very much of their time together, especially now, so it just sounds a tad weird.