The Enter Shikari Thread

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by TheInterframe, Aug 7, 2016.

TheInterframe

TheInterframe Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    THE ENTER SHIKARI THREAD

I haven't seen a thread dedicated to ES on here, so why not make one? I've been into them for about a year now, ever since I heard Sorry You're not A Winner and Anything Can Happen In The Next Half Hour...

chris2 and Captain-EO like this.
    Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

You just got that much cooler to me.

:worship:

Enter Shikari has been my favorite band since I played through The Mindsweep for the first time a year ago. There's really not a song I particularly dislike by them (although I do have least favorites of them). They get better with each album and LP5 from them is probably going to be even better than The Mindsweep was.

TheInterframe likes this.
    TheInterframe

Haha, I don't remember how exactly I got into them but I somehow stumbled upon Sorry You're Not A Winner, then Anything Can Happen and after a few play throughs of that I decided that I would listen to Take To The Skies, and oh my god those synths mixed with Rou's vocals, it was amazing I started following them on social media and saw The Mindsweep, got it and needless to say It was amazing, just when I thought they couldn't prefect their "sound" anymore I got introduced to this gem and worked my way back through the catalogue from there!

What's your favourite track off of The Mindsweep?

Captain-EO likes this.
    Captain-EO

Off The Mindsweep? It's hard for me to decide between Torn Apart or Dear Future Historians because I love those two tracks for two distinctly different reasons. Those two and The Bank of England are my favorites. But I prefer to listen to the album as a whole most times, because any listen of The Mindsweep without the two Appeals is cheating yourself in my opinion. :p

TheInterframe

I remember playing the album through and finding Appeal II very weird but it really grew on me, now I play it nearly every time I play the album :lol:. Ironically I really like Appeal I there's something about Rou's speech transitioning to him screaming

It gets me amped every time :lol:. Torn Apart and The Bank of England and also my favourites, in all honesty there really isn't a down point in that album, it's really damn solid!
    I'm interested, how do you like Common Dreads?

I've seen a lot of Shikari fans both hate and love this album.

EDIT: I just realized that Common Dreads is finally available on Spotify, damn that took forever, guess they got some deal with Warner to allow them to release it on Spotify?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    Captain-EO likes this.
    Captain-EO

I, like our fellow member Filip, am of the opinion that Enter Shikari albums get better chronologically. So Common Dreads is one-up on TTTS but not as good as AFFoC. Not to say it's bad at all. I love it. Fanfare for the Conscious Man, Juggernauts, Solidarity, Step Up, Zzzonked and Antwerpen get me pumped every single time, in terms of the music and the message. I think the more controversial album is A Flash Flood of Colour, mostly because it's the most overt in its dubstep and dance influences (see: Hello Tyrannosaurus bridge, Sssnakepit intro, Arguing with Thermometers as a whole...etc). But I love AFFoC even more than Common Dreads, especially because of songs like Stalemate, Search Party, Pack of Thieves, and Constellations.

Have you ever gotten into Shikari Sound System and ROUT? The remixes of the studio songs are awesome. My personal favorite being the unreleased Hello Tyrannosaurus remix by SSS.

Yeah, I remember when they took it down a lot of people flipped out. I don't use Spotify personally but I can see how active users might get just a little ticked. :lol:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Captain-EO

chris2

chris2 Smiling At Strangers On Trains LPA Super Member

One of my favourite bands! I discovered them sometime in 07/08 when they had just released Take To The Skies. (and I gradually got into heavier music) Good old days lol :lol:

TheInterframe and Captain-EO like this.
    TheInterframe

Yeah I've been getting into Shikari Sound System, I love the Radiate remix, it's still my favourite SSS remix, haha.

I'm assuming you heard their pre-TTTS stuff, how do you like it?

Captain-EO likes this.
    Captain-EO

Only really a fan of the stuff on The Zone. The other stuff just doesn't appeal to me with the vocal style and very dry sound.

TheInterframe

Yeah it takes some getting used to but I really like the rawness of it. On a random note, I've been really tempted to buy an EMX but it's pretty expensive to not only buy but ship :lol:

Dekar

Dekar swimmingsmoke LPA VIP

Seeing them on August 20 as part of a festival.

TheInterframe

Awesome! I wonder if their setlist has changed since the North American tour

Dekar

Dekar swimmingsmoke LPA VIP

setlist.fm says this.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

They peaked with A Flash Flood of Colour, in my opinion. The Mindsweep was just okay. Hopefully the can regain AFFC levels of creativity in the future.

TheInterframe

Some new Shikari:

Side note: Do the Synths in Sorry You're Not A Winner sound different now? Like they're not running off of Rou's EMX as they used to?

Captain-EO likes this.
    Captain-EO

I'm more perplexed by the decision to remove all the gruffness from Slipshod's latter portion on vocals. Rou scream-yelled (because I'm not sure of the terminology for the technique) for the first couple of lines and then just abandoned it. SYNAW has had the synths tinkered with since time immemorial. It always sounds a little different every touring cycle from what I've seen (or heard, rather). They probably just played around with the synth a little more because it doesn't sound too different from 2014 and 2015.

Captain-EO

chris2

chris2 Smiling At Strangers On Trains LPA Super Member

Michele likes this.