The "How did LP make that sound" Thread - Research

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Arachnids, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

While I'll have to wait until Monday to do some snooping on that Runaway sample, one thing I randomly remembered that I'm not sure if I ever posted here...

During the Hybrid Theory period, one of Joe's main pieces of gear was a Boss GT-5...which was actually a guitar multi-effects processor. A lot of his one-shot samples and synth loops (the main synth line throughout Papercut and the distorted sixteenth note C# pattern during the second half of the verses in Crawling probably being the most prominent examples) were run through distortion presets on the GT-5, which is what gave them such a guitar-like quality. This also caused running a joke among the band members that Joe used more guitar gear than Brad did at that point.

2. HybridXXX

HybridXXX Member

I tried finding the CD. It's not for sale anywhere neither is it downloadable :(

3. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Joe did say ( think in the Meteora DVD) that he'd take the other guys' stuff and use them to write song ideas. But yeah, he also did buy a lot of guitar stuff.

Captain-EO likes this.
  4. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

You mentioned it being run through a GT-5 for Papercut but not Crawling.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  5. HybridXXX

HybridXXX Member

Not to be rude but that sounds nothing like the effect. The effect in 'Runaway' is very detailed. You can hear every swirl and it has a smooth flow like waves of water. Thanks again for trying to find out about the effect. I greatly appreciate the effort!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  6. Captain-EO

It sounds a lot more like it than you're letting on.

7. 808ish

808ish Member

Yeah, I'm sorry. I just heard similar qualities in the sound and it was the result of trying to get you guys some kind of lead way into the sound.
    I messed with the patch a bit by turning off a osc and turning the resonance down a bit. To my ears, it sounded a bit closer. Also, messing with the phase speed on the sound helps a bit too to get that slow, wavey sound.
    Sorry again. Still trying to get you guys more info.

HybridXXX likes this.
  8. TheInterframe

TheInterframe Well-Known Member

No worries man, this stuff takes time, we're not in any rush, it sounded very close to me actually, did you use Native Instruments Massive for the synth?

HybridXXX likes this.
  9. 808ish

808ish Member

Absynth.

HybridXXX and TheInterframe like this.
  10. HybridXXX

HybridXXX Member

Are you looking for a fight? Cuz you keep cutting me off everytime I try to make a point. Some of us here are professional musicians such as 808ish. We are open to constructive criticism. Earlier you mentioned that the swirl effect was just a sample reversed and flanged, which was simply not the case. Please do not comment sarcastically when some of us here are really interested in the details.

As mentioned earlier, 808ish - I apologize if my comment was rude, but I am looking for the exact sound.

It's funny that's it's a mystery that hasn't been solved in 16 years! I have searched the entire internet and there isn't a solution anywhere.

11. 808ish

808ish Member

No worries at all man.
    Just want everyone to get along and share their thoughts or any info they have on the sound. :)
    I've been searching all of my old school sample cds for the "Ghella" title but nothing seems to yield any results. I need to get my hands on that Rarefaction cd, it was my initial gut instinct.

HybridXXX likes this.
  12. HybridXXX

HybridXXX Member

I emailed the creator of the Rarefactions Textural Ambience' CD Charles Maynes. Let's hope he replies :(

13. 808ish

808ish Member

Well, lets hope the sample is in there to begin with.
    I hope my guess is right. You guys have been super awesome with the help in finding the sample.

14. HybridXXX

HybridXXX Member

Well it's the best lead we've got so far. Better than any source of information I've got in the past 16 years!:blink:

15. Captain-EO

Chill out.

A) I haven't cut you off at any point before. I literally have no idea what you're talking about--none of my comments have been sarcastic by any stretch of the imagination. Quit blowing things out of proportion. This is the Linkin Park Association, not the Drama Club Association.
    B) I'm a musician too. I'm looking for the details like other people here. I've replied in this thread many times and identified several samples on my own. So cut it out with the attitude of superiority.
    C) That post about the sample being reversed was a stab in the dark, if you're going to keep referencing it. In my post I said to take it with a grain of salt because it was total postulation with very little actual experimentation.

If you want to go on a tirade find some other place to do it, because that's not why this forum is here. The people on this forum are here because we want to talk about Linkin Park, not to be involved with childish threats and flame wars like you're trying to start.

Back to Runaway.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  16. HybridXXX

HybridXXX Member

I'm on no tirade and neither am i looking for a fight. Let's focus on finding the sample for Runaway.

17. Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

No luck on the sample hunt in my school catalog, sorry guys!

HybridXXX likes this.
  18. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Yeah, this isn't instant-messaging, you could make your whole point in a single post if you wan--

totally. i just don't do drama :cool:

Captain-EO likes this.
  19. Captain-EO

:rolleyes:

Tony never changes.

EDIT: That smiley doe.

So you didn't find it in there at all? What a bummer. Here's to hoping Charles Maynes answers his email...and that he still uses the email on his website that's who knows how old. :lol:

20. HybridXXX

HybridXXX Member