"Stranger Things" discussion [SPOILERS ALL DAY]

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by minuteforce, Aug 3, 2016.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Share how awed you were by the "Stranger Things" soundtrack!

Spoilers welcome - if you don't want spoilers, you're lucky I decided not to put any in this post.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

The soundtrack has been confirmed to get an official release. I'm praying for a vinyl release! :D

I have no problem in saying that it's probably the best show Netflix has ever done. I feel like this is what Super 8 was trying to be, but didn't pull off. I'm so glad to see a sci-fi not afraid to go all out and crazy, like they used to. It's such a breath of fresh air.

The best thing about the show is the acting. From Wynona Ryder, to David Harbour, and ESPECIALLY the kids. It's great to see child actors who don't suck, and are actually really good. Their interactions felt real, like they were real kids, which is something you don't see often in film and TV. And the girl who played Eleven is ridicuously good. The fact that she can deliver such a fantastic potrayal of a character with that kind of past at such a young age is insane. She has a bright career ahead of herself.

I need season 2 NOW! :lol:

Alexrednex likes this.
    HybridT

HybridT Well-Known Member

I love it! The actors, the soundtrack, the story, the ambient... everything is just perfect. I'm looking forward for season 2.

SPOILER: I saw a youtube video and I realised that maybe Will is the 'monster' (I don't know how to call it), because he could actually smell the blood of Jonathan when Will asked him what happened to his hand. And at the toilet, he spitted a snake? Oh man, I can't wait for more! This is the best TV show behind Breaking Bad and (maybe, but not sure) Prison Break. But definetely the best Netflix TV show.

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

I'm excited to see where they go with this show next season. I especially was impressed by Wynona Ryder, David Harbour and Millie Bobby Brown (amazing how she portrayed Eleven with that much depth). As Gibs said, the child actors were all terrific and made the characters feel like actual kids. Lucas and Mike annoyed me at times, but kids can in fact be annoying little shits, so there is that! I loved Dustin, made me laugh throughout the season (...Lando), wonderfully portrayed by Gaten Motarazzo. I honestly can't think of a single character in this show that wasn't acted well, aside from maybe Dr. Brenner, who's actor was most likely purposefully hamming it up.

I like how the show was clearly an hommage to so many science-fiction/horror stories, but it didn't necessarily feel like they were ripping off other properties. Stranger Things is very much its own thing, build upon the foundation laid out by the stories it's paying hommage to.

The way the season ended also shows that the creators are not afraid to take risks, which I really like. Hopefully they continue to do so in future seasons. Can't wait for season 2.

Gibs likes this.
    Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Soundtrack was alright. Lately this 80s throwback sound has been everywhere and honestly its a bit of an overkill at this point.

The show itself was alright too. Episode 1 started with a bang but it never really hit that height in the later episodes. I called the mystery by episode 3 or 4. Towards the latter half of the season some of the characters started acting really stupid too. Winona Ryder really overacted throughout the series and that one kid's older sister just wasn't that good and a lot of time was dedicated to her character. By the time the show wrapped up, all this kinda left a bad taste in my mouth.

I'll say this though, the kids were all really great. I dug their friendship and the creators of the show really nailed the 80s feel and aesthetic. It would've been a great season if the mystery was more strange and out there and if some of those characters were written better.

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

It was definitely refreshing to watch a show where the kid actors/actress didn't suck. The older sister (Nancy) was annoying as fuck though.

I thought Winona was great and portrayed her role perfectly.

I've recommended this show to a lot of people and everyone has loved it so far. Looking forward to Season 2!

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

so excited. absolutely adored what i had heard in the show. have spent the time since listening to john carpenter.

Gibs likes this.
    Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I really enjoyed this show as well. The homages are great, the soundtrack is fantastic, and the show is fascinating. I'd love to explore theories with you all, because I'm really curious about how the season ended.

Demis

Demis Member

Its like steven king meets E.T. best cast and show since years and the soundtrack is so <3

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

God this was a great show. I went into this thinking it couldn't possibly live up to the hype...but I was SO wrong. I want Season 2 ASAP.

Gibs likes this.
    Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Honestly one of the best series I've ever seen. I loved the throwback style, the soundtrack, the themes and the acting was top notch also.

Very excited to see where they go with season 2. Unlimited potential if you ask me.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I liked it well enough. I thought the acting was great, but, that sometimes the characters behaved exactly the way they would in dumb jumpscare movies. Overall, I really dug the aesthetic of the show and felt immersed by the whole thing, which is great. Excited for season 2, though, I don't really see where they go from here. Might be because I just finished the show a few minutes ago. :lol:

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I just started this yesterday. I like it so far.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016