Random LP Chat

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by lime treacle, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

OMG :jawdrop: I never noticed the choir sample! I just relistened. That is amazing. Numb is actually a really good song imo. :p. No matter how many memes try to ruin it.

2. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

It's a synthesized choir, I think. But I like that it's synthetic because it creates a nice contrast with the piano and Chester's voice.

Captain-EO and Deliveranze like this.
  3. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

That's true about HT being more geared toward rock stations, Meteora is a more diverse album. A song like "Nobody's Listening" could be played on a hip-hop station, and "Numb" is essentially a pop song. Not that I find one to be heavier than the other, but the reason I call Meteora more accessible is because HT was the foundation, and Meteora perfected that formula they built with HT.

It's like they took the basis of HT, then made it more focused and condensed along with more influences from other genres making it fresher. Which does leave some songs more accessible than the others depending on your preferences. Like Chester alluded to, these two were many people's introduction to heavy rock/metal because of the infusion of more accessible genres like hip-hop and pop.

I love them, but electronic and pop LP are best LP to me. Give me pop LP7 :CUMULUS:

Deliveranze likes this.
  4. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I think the main thing they did on "Meteora" was expand their palette a little bit. They took the thing they'd established on their first album, expanded upon it and wrung from it every good idea they could. And, then, after "Meteora", they dropped it and moved onto something else.

Nicholas and Captain-EO like this.
  5. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

I like the way Tony concisely says things. :lol:
    Forgotten might be a little out of place, but not as much much as the Meteora songs simply because HT is still mainly rooted in familiar rock. The rapping would be no more foreign on Forgotten as it is on In the End. Forgotten has two hooks as well, with more of the song as rock than hip hop.

Don't Stay in my opinion is just too aggressive and heavy at points to really appeal to the masses. Drop B tuning really isn't all too common to hear in mainstream rock...and let's be honest, Don't Stay isn't very catchy either.

But Foreword is the best song on Meteora anyway so my point is worth nothing. :kappa:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  6. Modern Guitar God

+1, I think they've also said that in their interviews. They were pretty smart about it, actually. It was a little bizarre to me that people thought LP were going to do a complete 180 for their sophomore album. They were still a really young band and were probably uncertain about just shedding everything people knew about them. I also imagine there were a lot of label politics involved regarding LP maintaining their money-making formula... but they made the most of their situation. I'm kind of reaching into conspiracy theory territory though :lol:

Captain-EO and Nicholas like this.
  7. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Too much Meteora talk. 0/10

Michele likes this.
  8. Modern Guitar God

[​IMG]

9. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

[​IMG]

10. Modern Guitar God

Nobody's Listening :kappa:

Captain-EO, Iopia, Gibs and 1 other person like this.
  11. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

You did a much better job at stating what I was trying to say in just a few sentences than I did in my long winded posts :lol:

HT was such a massive success, I couldn't imagine the pressure they were under not only from their label, but living up to the first album after it blew up the way it did. Yet, they still managed to play it smart and safe, they did enough to make it stand on its own, but not so much that it alienated fans at all. It was a natural progression with a familiar territory.

Meteora has gotten a lot of flak for being "too safe" or a "carbon copy", I've said that myself a few times.
    But, given their position what else were they going to do? Pull a Kid A after how well the style of HT worked? Don't fix what isn't broken, but don't milk it dry either.

They got the most out of it and went on a deserved hiatus to reinvent themselves and see what works. Thus, we got one of my favorites, MtM. And now I'm rambling again :lol:

12. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

HOLY SHIT :lol:

13. Deliveranze

Yeah it does sound like one. I agree. I
    Hm. Maybe. :p I agree Forgotten is more rock than hip hop but the verses are way too complex for a radio (unless local) to play. Plus it immediately begins with no intro to build it up.

InThe End is pretty easy to follow lyrically. If it had the Untitled Lyrics, then I'm more than positive it wouldn't. Forgotten isn't too catchy imo plus I don't see lyrics like "Pollution manifested in perpetual sound" being popular with angsty nu metal kids. :p
    Don't Stay to me is actually pretty catchy compared to its cousin One Step Closer imo. The rapping on Hybrid Theory is a bit too "underground" on HT, but Meteora has rapping that is simple and concise and very easy to follow. I see most kids like the rapping on Meteora better than HT even though the rapping on HT has more hip hop constructed rhyme schemes. Meteora has more or less "typical nu metal" rapping imo. Maybe on just a lyrical level, I feel HT is less accessible.

I guess basically, the hip hop side of Hybrid Theory was focused in the rapping while the hip hop aspect of Meteora was focused on the instrumentals.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    TheInterframe likes this.
  14. Vinifeijo

Vinifeijo i'm dancing with matt damons

Man, it's so much fun to read older threads. I'm addicted to doing that. So many cringy comments.
    I miss Mtm and ATS era, so much mystery and speculation. Everything was exciting. Sometimes i hope LP would enter in a hiatus of some form, so a few years later they could came back surprising us. I really want that feeling again.

15. HybridT

HybridT Well-Known Member

That moment in pre-MTM era when the people didn't know what to believe. I actually read the whole pre-MTM posts and it was very confusing. The band was constantly changing the release dates the whole time, then Chester said it was going to be a metal album with a lot of screams and one month later he said it was going to be a mellow album and the people were like WTF.

16. minuteforce

There was also #drama with WB (and, by extension, YouTube) which made the band's future with the label uncertain, and certain band members' commitments to side-projects as well. A lot happened during the gap between "Meteora" and "Midnight" and it was a really exciting time to be a fan just because there was so much to talk about and reflect upon regarding the band. Among the things that happened were various headline tours, "Collision Course", Shinoda's 2005-2006 Fort Minor stint, Live 8, the 2006 Grammys performance and a headline show at Summer Sonic where they unveiled "QWERTY" - all of this on top of a looming new album that promised to be really different from the band's previous albums.

17. GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

Sounds fun..

18. minuteforce

Well, it wasn't too boring. It was a bit of a rollercoaster, but we look back at it fondly now, haha

"The Rising Tied" was one of the first major releases from the LP camp where I was able to join in on the fanbase hype

19. Vinifeijo

Vinifeijo i'm dancing with matt damons

I joined some LP fansites a few months before MTM release. I firmly doubted that What I've Done was in fact a linkin park song.

At that time i was really into It's Going Down's Collision Course Live Dvd version. When i first heard that my head exploded.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  20. Deliveranze

I was like 10 when I first heard LP in 2007 on that Transformers Soundtrack. What I've Done and Second To None where the only tracks l cared for, so best believe I was confused as hell when I found out there was a rapper in LP. Took me a while to figure it out.