The Coldplay thread

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Abel, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

The best song on an otherwise meh album and this probably is their best music video. That was great. It's a shame they had to take out some great parts to fit it as a single though. Particularly the "How can people suffer?" line and the 2nd solo with the "oohs" in the background. I would've rather had them cut out some of the first solo and the chorus following it to fit the 2nd in if they could, it's my favorite part.

2. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Fantastic video! I'm absolutely loving the visuals. I just wish they wouldn't have gone with the radio edit. The second guitar solo REALLY adds a lot to the track. There should be more confidence in general with putting longer songs on the radio. Hey Jude is over 7 minutes long, and Bohemian Rhapody is nearly 6 minutes, but they're still humongous hits.

3. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

But Gibs, those are also good songs!

:kappa:

Anyways, I'm not here to declare my fandom for Up&Up, as the song does nothing for me. But man, I really like that video.

4. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

That might be one of the coolest music videos I have ever seen.

Couldn't care for the song though.

5. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

So the band has now been simultaneously promoting HFTW and Up&Up. Their Late Show performances are pretty great (first solid televised performance of HFTW so far), with excellent sound quality, especially Up&Up (they played the album version since it's an online exclusive anyway).

Also, I think "Up&Up" is the band's "In Pieces", since Jonny Buckland can't seem to nail Noel Gallagher's solo :lol:

[video=youtube;-P7Zjgsx7GQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P7Zjgsx7GQ[/video]
    [video=youtube;BJmhBGL7pMc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJmhBGL7pMc[/video]

6. Gibs

I didn't care for that performance of Hymn for the Weekend (I don't think it translates well live), but that peformance of Up&Up is REALLY fucking great! I can't fucking wait to see them perform it when I see them in August!

7. The Joesen One

Personally, when performed well, HFTW can be amazing, like in the Paris show I linked a few posts before. I saw their GMA performance of the song, and it's amazing - a lot better than the Late Show one (the BRITs was pretty iffy, and the Today Show one was marginally better). The performances of it in South America seem solid, although my pet peeve of the song performed live is how much playback/pre-recorded stuff/looped tracks they're reliant on (then again they've been doing it since AROBTTH, like how the synths of "Clocks" are playback). I do like how they make all the other band members do double-duty instruments to avoid playbacked stuff, but then again the synths/horns on the track is obviously pre-recorded and sometimes you can't hear Chris singing because they wanted to keep the Beyonce back-up vocals.

Up&Up is good live, probably it's hella easier to sing and it's not hard to perform as well (despite them never really nailing the Noel Gallagher solo). It's just kinda middling for me because it's feels like a cheesy typical Coldplay song (ok, not really Everglow cheesy or typical Coldplay) especially the chorus part, but the video and the live performances kinda made me like the song more. It's a shame that for their television performances of the song, they mostly have to play the radio edit version, because it takes away some of the magic the song had.

Also, I think A Head Full of Dreams might be the next single because they filmed a performance of it in Mexico, if I remember correctly.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  8. The Joesen One

Reminder: their Glastonbury set is tomorrow/today wherever you are.

also this happened:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  9. The Joesen One

A Head Full of Dreams is the fourth single, and here's the video for it:

Nothing really special, but it's a pretty fun concept. Kind of like a sequel to the "Fix You" video.

10. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

That's one of the better songs on the album, I think. Didn't like that it sounded like a U2 copy at first but if there's any band that can do that well, it's Coldplay lol. The guys' musicianship shows more on the "Head Full of Dreams" song actually. Especially Will and Guy.

The Joesen One likes this.
  11. The Joesen One

So a local mobile carrier livestreamed Coldplay's entire Rose Bowl concert and put up the full set on Youtube. You're very welcome. (Concert starts at the 4 minute mark)

12. Gibs

I saw the Dallas Coldplay show last night! Here's the setlist:

1. A Head Full of Dreams
    2. Yellow
    3. Every Teardrop is a Waterfall
    4. The Scientist
    5. Birds
    6. Paradise (Tiësto remix outro)
    7. Always in My Head
    8. Magic
    9. Everglow (Piano + Guitar only)
    10. Clocks
    11. Midnight (End)
    12. Charlie Brown
    13. Hymn for the Weekend
    14. Fix You
    15. Heroes (David Bowie Cover)
    16. Viva la VIda
    17. Adventure of a Lifetime
    18. Kaleidoscope
    19. Don't Panic
    20. In My Place
    21. Til Kingdom Come
    22. Amazing Day
    23. A Sky Full of Stars
    24. Happy Birthday (for Phil Harvey)
    25. Up&Up
    This concert was probably the best concert I've ever been to, maybe second to only Behemoth. Being surrounded by Coldplay fans in a stadium as big as fucking AT&T Stadium was insane man. The acoustics in that place are ass, but it didn't really matter, It was an incredible experience.

The only glaring problem I had with the concert (other than the acoustics) is that they only played the end of Midnight as an outro to Clocks! PLAY THE FULL THING GODDAMMIT! :lol: And maybe a bit more material from Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends (two X&Y songs, but only one from this album? C'mon).

One thing I noticed was that some of the best songs of the night all came from Mylo Xyloto: Every Teardrop is a Waterfall, Paradise, and Charlie Brown. All were a fucking blast, especially Every Teardrop. Other than the MX material, the other highlights were the ones where they were opportunities to have great audience participation. Fix You, Viva la Vida, and A Sky Full of Stars. Fix You in particular was really touching. The stripped down version of Everglow was also really good.

There was a section of the concert where the entire concert sang Happy Birthday for their longtime "fifth member" Phil Harvey, which I'm pretty sure Chris said would make a concert film they're recording. Also, when they were first doing Adventure of a Lifetime, they had to restart it becasue Chris messed up the intro lyrics. So incredibly endearing. :lol:

So basically, if you still have a chance to see these guys on this tour, DO IT!

Michele likes this.
  13. The Joesen One

Holy crap, this is really good.

Also, they brought back Violet Hill as a one-time acoustic performance. :p

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  14. Gibs

15. The Joesen One

"Everglow" has been released as the album's fifth single. The single version is a stripped down piano version (with the 2nd verse removed & the guitar solo towards the end) & the Muhammad Ali quote. Essentially the version they're performing live in their tour right now.

Captain-EO and Gibs like this.
  16. Gibs

The stripped down version of Everglow that they played at the concert I went to was one of the highlights of the night. I'm SO glad they released an official version of it!

Captain-EO likes this.
  17. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

Both the guitar solo and the second verse are in the single version and the edit of it. The only difference is the added Ali speech in the full single version.

18. The Joesen One

By second verse I meant the "Like a lion you ran..." verse. They never perform that verse live, jumping straight to "When I should but I can't let you go?", since it's supposed to be the single version.

Also I think I worded it wrong but by the guitar solo towards the end, I meant that that part was retained in the song lol

Captain-EO likes this.
  19. The Joesen One

chris2, Gibs and Captain-EO like this.
  20. Gibs

Chris' vocal peformance is on fucking point here. Damn.