The color of the songs

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Vinifeijo, Feb 1, 2017.

Vinifeijo

Vinifeijo i'm dancing with matt damons

Do the songs have colors for you?
    I do associate each music with a color, and that's before watching a video or seeing any artwork specific to the song.

I researched about and this phenomenon is called "synesthesia", when you associate two differents senses (audition and visual in that case... but could also be sounds that brings some smeel, or texture, or taste to your mind)

For example, Robot Boy is totally yellow/gold in my mind. I see those color waves forming in my head when i listen or remember the song.

Lost In The Echo, even with the video and it's own photography, is pink with some silver details.

One Step Closer is red, vivid red, like blood. I just can't see it differently.

So, do you also see the colors of the songs?

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Hahaha I've actually been doing this my whole life too. All the songs have colours to me. Here's a few:

With You - Burgandy / Grey
    Runaway - Orange
    Nobody's Listening - Brown
    When They Come For Me - Dark Green
    Wretches & Kings - Purple and Black

...and probably a load more I can't think of right now. Honestly feel like an idiot typing these out but maybe more people do this too.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

I don't really experiment this phenomenon but the first time I listened to Final Masquerade, it was totally green to me. Malachite green to be specific.

[​IMG]

Think it's the only time it's happened to me.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I've always done this. I thought I was alone.

Filip likes this.
    brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

I've never done this, but its very interesting. I would love to try and paint something based off a song I'm listening to

Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

This color fit to the song :kappa:

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Exactly. :halfkappa:

HybridT

HybridT Well-Known Member

Yeah, I always think of a color when I listen to a song. I don't see One Step Closer as red, instead I imagine green smoke and dirt I don't know why lol. And every HT song it feels so dark, dirty and grey to me. While for example ATS seems more blue, and brighter. I often imagine water when I listen to ATS, pretty weird right? Lol.

Vinifeijo

Funny how we all see different colors for the same songs. Everything is about the experiences we had on our lifes and how we associate the feeling of the song with it.

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

No, I see colors and shapes too. Sometimes they're beams of light or circles. If it makes any sense, I can "feel" a lot of the textures.

No, I don't do drugs.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Iridescent for me is some mix of the rainbow colors. :)

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

I see blue beams of light when listening to Jornada del Muerto

Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

Interesting thread, I picture something with green when I hear "Lies Greed Misery" ever since I first heard it. Long after I had even heard the song I saw that LP had a lyric video for it on YouTube that has bits of green in it! Thought that was neat. Ok, I think I have a silly explanation for this one, "greed" is one different letter from "green", also what's something you might associate greediness with? Money? U.S. dollars have green in them.

I don't think it's odd to visualize a song you're listening too. I picture "Valentine's Day" as cold, dreary and white & black, which I can attribute to MtM's album cover and Chester's chilling tone and use of the word "cold" in the song itself. Some songs you can kind of picture a setting to go with it.

Vinifeijo

Native english speakers may associate the colors with parts of the lyrics, but I, for example, could barely understand a few single words until a couple of years ago. So at least in my case the lyrics probably don't have any influence on the colors I picture.

Anyway, in most cases I can imagine where the colors came from. It makes some sense. Like dreams, they are weird but deeply you can understand and see their origin.

Now, if someone tells me numb isn't a greenish-blue, then I don't like this person. I connected numb to that LPA old promo picture, 2003-ish I guess, with the guys of the band sitting in a very low wall or whatever and a greenish-blue color filter over it. (Don't know this color name in english)

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I do this a lot too, but it's more like you can isolate specific elements and put a color to them. Like all the bass hits in WTFCM, they're very brown to me. The synth in LITE is light green to me. I think it's more about "frequencies" of sounds and how they'd correspond on a color spectrum.

linkinloch

linkinloch Well-Known Member

I don't know if the lyrics or the feelings that the song causes may influence me (or even the album cover) but I can feel colors and shapes sometimes
    Colors I can remember now... In My Remais: Grey, Powerless and Robot Boy: BLUE, CoG: Blue/purple, Waiting For The End - Orange (like the sunset), Also can see some green on Runaway don't know why

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I've done this too.

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Yes! But I'm definitely influenced by the artwork. For example, I can't unsee WFTE as the blue of the music video and single cover. But one example that always comes to mind is I'll be Gone is totally sunset orange all around. From the inside has some green to it, so does LITE. LGM is an absolute assualt of multiple colours, Robot Boy looks like a blurry picture of a city at night, etc. I guess only some songs evoke the feeling of seeing colours to me though. There are some songs that I don't think I've ever had a colour representation for, but instead only imagine concrete things dealing with the lyrics or the music videos.

This is why I find making lyric videos so fun, like this one for LGM I made:

It's also why LP's official lyric videos sometimes drive me crazy for being so bland!

Blackened

Blackened Blackened Symphony

By Myself is bright pink. Sparkly.

Modern Guitar God likes this.
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

You're all weird :halfkappa:

I think of aqua or teal or something for "Session" and "Issho Ni"