Linkin Park Shares Clip #1 'Piano' on LinkinPark.com

Discussion in 'News' started by Kevin, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

For reference, I grabbed the first week sales of each of these bands' last two albums off of Wikipedia:

Linkin Park:

The Hunting Party (2014): 110,000
    Living Things (2012): 223,000

Blink 182:

California (2016): 186,000
    Neighbourhoods (2011): 151,000

Avenged Sevenfold:

The Stage (2016): 76,000
    Hail to the King (2013): 159,000

Disturbed:

Immortalized (2015): 98,000
    Asylum (2010): 179,000

Sum 41:

13 Voices (2016): 16,100
    Screaming Bloody Murder (2011): 15,000

Now this isn't a perfect indicator of popularity, but it'll do for a rough estimate for interest in new releases. Out of all of these, Blink are the only band roughly equal in popularity to LP, although A7X and Disturbed are in the same order of magnitude. Sum 41 don't even come close.

That being said, I actually do agree with you, but in a slightly different way. Linkin Park are still hugely popular (even if it could be argued that they're just coasting off of being the biggest rock band on the planet 15 years ago :lol:), but they're almost certainly not cool. And this means, as you rightly said, they're not talked about as much as many other bands, despite the fact that albums sales, concert tickets sold, etc. prove that they're still immensely popular. I think a lot of that has to do with the genre they're associated with, but who knows. Although, as others have said, their falloff in popularity has been far, far less than the vast majority of their peers (although there are certainly bands who've fared better popularity-wise).

All this being said, whether they're popular (or cool :lol:) or not is irrelevent. Sure, Radiohead will never have a single as big as Creep, but I don't think anyone would say that they "died" after Pablo Honey or The Bends. As long as the band is making quality music, I couldn't be happier. The band killed their popularity with ATS, and to this day I couldn't be prouder of them for it. :lol:

Evan likes this.
  2. Philth88

Philth88 New Member

I still enjoy Linkin Parks new stuff and think its 100x better than anything else in the charts at the moment. I'll be one of the first to purchase the new album on release date! I'm just finding it harder to get excited for each album release. I've followed this website for years and I think listening to today's snippet prompted me to check out the forum. I remember watching the live vid of qwerty that was posted on here just before the m2m release and I was blown away by the sound of it. I've just not had that same reaction from an LP track in a long time.

Tihilp92 likes this.
  3. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I bet you've had a few birthdays.

Sa6o_dfg likes this.
  4. Philth88

Philth88 New Member

Hahaha 28 of them

5. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

think of it like real life, pretend the band has a 8-5 job

That Korn album was actually really good I thought

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    Sa6o_dfg likes this.
  6. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Skrillz is alright. Dubstep is not :p

7. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

Another thing to note is that "The Hunting Party" specifically was made knowing that there just wasn't that big of a market anymore for that kind of music, but it still sold relatively well considering that. And because of things like streaming, album sales aren't as big as they used to be (Unless you're Adele or Taylor Swift). Being such an established band, they're at the point in their career where it's about making what they want to make rather than being "on some What I've Done shit" for easy sales.

This album will likely be more marketable/accessible than THP, so I'm curious to see how it'll perform. I know I shouldn't care about album sales, but it's nice to see your favorite band be a chart topper, you know? Even if they're already filthy rich.

crazygolfer likes this.
  8. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

So the single won't come for 2 weeks then?

5 clips this upcoming week and then 2 more the week after? *sigh*

I can wait.

9. HybridT

HybridT Well-Known Member

Yeah, I would like to see Linkin Park being in the charts again. I think the last song that made it on the Hot 100 was Lost In The Echo right?

10. Nicholas

I think "A Light That Never Comes" was the last to be on the U.S. Billboard Top 100, the rest were like "Bubbling Under Hot 100". They did have a couple #1s on the "Mainstream Rock" at least.

11. LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

I'd say that LP are still one of the top 3-5 biggest bands right now worldwide. They headline every festival they are a part of and they still sell millions. It's approx that LT and ATS sold 2.5million each worldwide. That's not a number to laugh about. Even THP with its poor promotion and lack of chart hits sold over a million worldwide.
    I hope you realize that 110 debut sales for THP in US were actually pretty respectable seeing as to how hardly anyone knew about them releasing an album with the poor promotion and no radio hits.
    For a recent example, a band that did so well few years ago, One Republic, struggled to touch 50k.

Green day's much anticipated return with Revolution Radio debuted with numbers less than THP. That's saying something.

Linkin park is not close to being dead. They are just as alive as before. Just not mainstream enough anymore. It's all about singles these days. If they get one single in the top 20, they would be getting a lot more attention. I remember what I've done being one of the handful songs of that decade to debut within the top 10 of the hot 100. And now it happens almost every other time some relatively known artist drops their single.

12. Flozuki

Flozuki LPA VIP LPA VIP

I think it is hilarious that people try to get their point with us sales figures when there are plenty of countries left, where people are also paying for music. That said I fully agree with you. We are talking about a band that is headlining the biggest festivals, is easily filling large arenas on their own in a lot of countries and has plenty of active social media followers. The last LP related song that charted was Welcome by Fort Minor (2015) so I am pretty positive that if they really want to chart with their music they will. All of this doesn't matter to me though since I just love what they do and am always curious to see what they come with.

Sasuke likes this.
  13. AThousandLivingThings

AThousandLivingThings Well-Known Member

Hi guys, first post here :peace: I've been following this page for a few year now, great stuff :)

So, I can only speak for Germany, because I live there, but over here Linkin Park is easily one of the, if not the biggest modern rock band, every time they play at our biggest festival Rock am Ring they are the first or second headliner. When it comes to sales they are also really popular over here, for example "Burn It Down" was our official theme for the European Football Cup in 2012, making it number 2 on the german single charts. Also, every album since HT has been number 1 on our album charts, so when it comes to Germany, LP is still extremely popular.

Iopia and Sasuke like this.
  14. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I had heard, actually, that "Burn It Down" did pretty well in Europe

15. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Castle of Glass too

16. AThousandLivingThings

AThousandLivingThings Well-Known Member

Yeah, it "only" charted at number 10, but it did get lots of radio play.

17. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Burn It Down was the song for the Football Europechampionship for a TV station. It was fucking everywhere here :lol: It didnt charted at #1 because there was a german band with a bigger hit.

18. Nicholas

Yeah, if LP has arguably lost any form of relevancy or mainstream appeal in the U.S. (though I don't think they have that much, still one of the biggest bands here), they make up for it internationally. They are one of the biggest bands in the world.

19. Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

I agree LP are still big internationally, and on that basis I wonder what would be a realistic target in terms of global album sales if this album has better promotion and is more mainstream?

I definitely feel that the band still has the potential to achieve another multi platinum album worldwide.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  20. LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

I read that the announced shows in Chile and some other countries got sold out in few days. Aside from US, LP are really popular worldwide. If they announce a show in India tomorrow, it'll be just as big as when Coldplay announced.

It did decently in US as well. It was the 100th song in the top 100 songs for that year in the US. Plus it sold a million copies.
    I feel lost in the echo could have done much better if they promoted it properly. The release for it as a single was such a mess.