Official Lyrics Revealed for Linkin Park's New Single 'Heavy', February 16th Release Confirmed

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Feb 13, 2017.

A Wretched King

A Wretched King Foreword

They're bad but not that bad honestly. It's just teenager-ish. I like how he/she is admitting they are screwed up and not perfect. No issue with the sentiment ....Just the lyrics themselves are below average.

Amine

Amine New Member

Kaiira? Seriously?

Dyl

Dyl Well-Known Member

There's also some sort of album cover or single cover being revealed on twitter reporter by lplive! Go there and check it out!

Bane likes this.
    Halfway Dwight

Halfway Dwight We are the fortunate ones.

I like them. I prefer simple lyrics that you can relate to.

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Uh, no, the song's clearly talking about depression and/or trauma. There's no "I won't apologize" here, there's just "I'm fucked up and I know it but I can't help it" which isn't arrogant or condescending but it's an actually honest portrayal of depression.

I think a lot of people are conflating depression, a serious mental condition, with typical teenage angst, because they're not used to LP singing about mental states like this. They assume these lyrics are typical "Written for everyone" and view them through that lens, but no. These lyrics are clearly about depression.

Andreina, Deliveranze and Alexrednex like this.
    eunyoungg

eunyoungg Well-Known Member

First post, hello. I was a lurk here on LT cycle, didn't get involved with THP cycle at all and with ATS I used to use another forum do discuss about the album. I think I've been listening to Linkin Park since 9 years old? :lol: But now enough with the introductions.

The lyrics are alright, pretty generic, nothing really new. For me they are better than BID, at least. I just hope they gonna show something better with the other songs since they kept talking about lyrics being something bigger on this album. :)

Petar likes this.
    Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

It's the lead single, meant to be the most accessible + It's just one song off the album. One song.
    We haven't even heard the full song yet, lol.

I don't see that at all.
    I think it is much more about cutting loose of the things(mental or people) in your life that drag you down. Letting go (a theme Linkin Park writes about way too much).
    The lyrics have an undertone of it being more of a mental self-process, rather than a "THIS IS YOUR FAULT" type of approach. In that sense, I really like the lyrics, despite how simple they are.

Based on how the lyrics are written, I have a feeling that Kiiara will sing the second verse.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

Well pretty sure this will be the most mainstream LP single ever released. Everything about it fits in with what's in the charts now.

linkinloch

linkinloch Well-Known Member

Puzzle

Bane likes this.
    Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

So many "I am"s :lol:

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Dude, I'm on Zoloft :lol: if this is supposed to be about serious depression, then these lyrics are worse than I originally thought.

"I know I'm not the center of the universe, but you keep spinning round me just the same"? What is that lyric even supposed to mean then? "There's comfort in the panic"? What? Depression has never made me feel any amount of comfort. It has made me desperate to seek out comfort from unhealthy things (suicidal thoughts, binge eating, fasting, etc).

I'm confused.

Avo likes this.
    Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

:obama: Seems like the song doesn't have any 3rd verse/bridge, only a breakdown which the pre-chorus are repeated. i hope there's a guitar/synth solo or something like the crazy Blackout breakdown.

DannyLP

DannyLP Well-Known Member

Gotta feeling the melody will save the song. This level of lyricism is on par with castle of glass which is one of the best recent LP songs, so i'm not too worried as a lead single. It does seem like LP wants to be back at the top of the charts, just don't want it to be forced.

Elaine

"I know I'm not the center of the universe but you keep spinning round me just the same" - - - Tendencies to internalize everything, knowing it's wrong and that you need to focus on others, but you can't help just framing everything about your own personal woes

"There's comfort in the panic" - - It's clearly supposed to be an ironic sort of statement, but it's a vague and obtuse line. I don't think it means "comfort" in the common sense because otherwise the juxtaposition with "panic" on it's own makes no sense in any context. Might just be a bad lyric.

It's depression through the lens of self-destruction and always worrying about how you appear to other people. A rabbit hole of self doubt and self loathing. And knowing you're doing that but you can't stop doing it because that's just the way your mind is.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    KarL_LewiS

KarL_LewiS Musician

Personally I dig the lyrics. They seem to be about overthinking things and creating problems that don't really exist and feeling trapped because of it. As someone who overthinks literally everything all the time and actually can't sleep most nights because of it, i find these lyrics pretty damn relatable. Masterfully written? Not really, but complexity =/= quality IMO

Deliveranze, Sasuke and Alexrednex like this.
    Brandon

There's nothing about the song that makes it "clearly ironic."

This song is about Mental Illness Cocktail/Ambiguous Disorder. It's a poor attempt at a deep examination of "depression" that comes across as a hodge-podge of symptoms. It's sloppy. The person is depressed, but they don't want to change? That's a common trope in songs/movies and it's bullshit every time.

I agree with the poster above me. This is a song about a person who overthinks things to the point of letting it fuck up their lives. That makes way more sense than a half-assed take on ~depression~

Elaine

The juxtaposition between "Comfort" and "Panic", two words that would normally be contradictory.

"But they don't want to change" Where the hell are you getting this reading from? You can know how fucked up you are and also know you can't willfully change it. That's why telling people who are depressed to "chin up" never fucking works.

Bane likes this.
    Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

Damn that hits me hard.

nikos

nikos Active Member

It's one thing to want to change and a whole other one to actually do something about that and actually begin changing.

Brandon

I'm reading it from the line where he literally says "there is comfort in the panic." Like "this is fucked up but I don't want to change because I'm comfortable here."

Noenemy likes this.