Official Lyrics Revealed for Linkin Park's New Single 'Heavy', February 16th Release Confirmed

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Feb 13, 2017.

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

"I'm fucked up and I'm letting the world tell me I'm fucked up and confirming my own assumptions about myself" There you go. Words don't just have the typical meaning, especially in lyrical metaphors. The only problem with this line is that the reading that has it make sense with the surrounding lyrical context is obtuse.

Alexrednex likes this.
    Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

Elaine's interpretation has changed my mind on the lyrics. Can definitely relate.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I mean, I guess I hope you're right?

But also, this Dr. Phil-esque idea of "well maybe you don't want to change" is super prevalent in pop culture. The depressed person who loves their own depression. It's a trope and a common misunderstanding of how depression works, because it puts the blame on the person suffering.

Millino

Millino Member

Exactly what part of waiting for the end is uplifting? It's like one of the saddest lyrics I've ever heard and I'm one of those people who searches "saddest song ever" a lot.

Alexrednex likes this.
    nikos

nikos Active Member

Or, I know I'm fucked up. I know I have to do something about it but I won't in fear of hurting others or egotistical reasons that will put me out of my comfortable panic.
    The lyrics are alright I guess. They are relate-able and everyone can put their situation in the song's shoes.

Elaine

I feel like you're projecting it where it doesn't exist. The song is about knowing how screwed up you are and feeling like you can't change and hating it. It's not about being depressed, it's about knowing you're depressed, with the addition of a world that keeps pointing it out to you.

KarL_LewiS

KarL_LewiS Musician

To me, "comfort in the panic" just means being used to overthinking everything. If you're comfortable with something its the same as being used to it and accepting it as the norm

AndreyKamensky likes this.
    hybrid1988

hybrid1988 Fever Daydream

lol, did they take the lyrics off of some teenagers tumblr. holy forced curse word batman!

Avo likes this.
    Brandon

This is what I'm talking about. If this was the intention of the line/song, then fuck the song. I'm depressed because I'm depressed, not because I choose not to be depressed because I find any comfort in it.

Elaine

There's a lot of assuming you can do something about depression here. Do you walk up to depressed people and ask them "Why don't you just feel better" too?

"I have to do something about my depression" assumes that something can be done and thus your reasoning is inherently flawed.

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

Mike raps "The hardest part of ending is starting again" which can be interpreted as a positive line

Brandon

....what???

The idea that "I know I have to something about it, but I won't" is the equivalent of "why don't you just feel better." I AGREE with you on this. I HAVE depression. Not because I just decided I "won't do anything about it" because that's not how it works.

Elaine

And there is nowhere in the song where it says "I can do something about my depression". You're projecting that. The majority of the lyrics are about knowing how fucked you are while being unable to do anything about it. The other lyrics are about trying to let the world know that you understand why they're frustrated with that, because the person singing is too.

Which, is kind of ironic, projecting a (justified) internal fear about how media treats depression on a song about internal fears and how they project themselves.

(And for the record, I have depression too, and a lot of introspection is why I was able to come to this reading on the material.)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Joshua

Joshua is Mr. "to many Mind"

Since my english isn't my native language i could be wrong, but depressive people tend to have a really low self esteem. So when they are "down" they might feel vindicated like they don't deserve a better mood. In this situation they might be in a "comfort-zone". With this in mind the following part "cause i can't escape the gravity" would make more sense, because such people maybe "like it" to be depressed, even when the person isn't really happy inside.

Brandon likes this.
    Bane

Bane Together we'll fight the long defeat

No one in LP has said that the song is about clinical depression. The song isn't misrepresenting anything, because it's not explicitly aligning itself to anything. I think if anyone sees it as being about depression, that's simply an opinion.

Not knocking that idea, I'm just saying let's remember we don't know what the song is truly about.

Emiltayeb

Emiltayeb Well-Known Member

we get the song on this friday?

Millino

Millino Member

So you don't read the title of the song "waiting for the end" then you skip the whole trading this life for something new part and just listen to the "the hardest part of ending is starting again"?
    I know that it's your taste and if it's uplifting for you then it is but the band have no such a thing as happy or uplifting song. Do they? At least nothing that is completely filled with happiness and good feelings and a something about a bright future without regrets of the past.

Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

Agreed. I sort of expected this from the get-go. It's not bad per se, but certainly not extremely penetrating and soulful. They hyped up their lyrics but there's really nothing spectacularly different about this. What remains for the rest of the album we'll see. Maybe they played it safe for the lead single...just maybe?

Spiderguy252

Spiderguy252 Awaiting LP in India

Anybody figured out the Mike : Chester individual parts yet?

abbaslp

abbaslp Fortyoneaxes

Comfort in panic??? Its like adventure/thrill