Mike Shinoda Discusses New Linkin Park Album 'One More Light' in Interviews - Media Roundup & Recaps

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Feb 16, 2017.

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Today is officially Linkin Park day and Mike is doing a full press tour to promote Heavy and One More Light. This thread will catalogue and roundup all interview highlights.

THE ZACH SANG SHOW

Mike recently appeared on The Zach Sang show to discuss all sorts of topics including the new album and single 'HEAVY' feat. Kiiara. Confirms the album will be titled 'One More Light' and the "acoustic, stripped down and beautiful" track on the album it's named after. The album is confirmed to be releasing May 19th, 2017. Watch the full 30+ minute interview below.

- Mike talks about how the Kiiara collaboration came about
    - HEAVY was already written before Kiiara came in
    - This is the first album where they brought in external writers (Justin Tranter, Julia Michaels etc)
    - They approached the studio with "what do I want to write about today, what's on my mind"
    - The collaborations had to feel like "being in the room with friends", sometimes things didn't click
    - They met with 30 or 40 artists in total
    - Mike talks about working with other artists with different writing styles
    - They chose HEAVY because it was a core song that sounds like the album "the album sounds like that song"
    - HEAVY is described as "timely" and it's about "when it rains it pours", a situation where everything is going wrong, whether it be a death in the family, what's happening in the news.
    - Mike tells a story about his son flooding his home.
    - Explains the line "I keep dragging around what's bringing me down if I just leg go I'd be set free"
    - Mike describes his vice as being productive and not getting enough sleep
    - Talks about how he would drink when he was younger but now he focuses on family time
    - Talks about what they did differently on the new album than the past albums
    - They wanted the common thread of the album to be them so they produced it themselves
    - Sometimes they don't know how to play their own song even when it's done
    - Story first. Hook second. Then everything else including sounds.
    - Mike says he's going to stick with this style of working because it was awesome
    - Says that this style of working doesn't always have to result in how this album sounds
    - Mike talks about collaborating on other artist's work
    - New Album Titled 'One More Light' Releasing May 19th
    - One More Light is named after a song on the album also titled 'One More Light'
    - Mike tells the story about what inspired 'One More Light', inspired about a friend's death and showing you care
    - 'One More Light' had to be more than just a song, so they made it the album title as it's an important song for the band
    - Mike talks about playing the song at an event and people were weeping
    - The song 'One More Light' is very stripped, acoustic with loops of piano and guitar, no percussion. The only song like that on the album
    - Mike says he raps less but sings more on this album
    - Mike says Chester is the best vocal coach to have as he's the best
    - Mike says Chester's vocals will blow your mind on this album
    - Mike says there are still some surprises up their sleeve for the new album, and he will talk about them after they have heard the album

- Mike says this album is almost the opposite of The Hunting Party
    - Mike says this record is more accessible
    - Mike says they'll be playing venues that aren't full live shows for the new tour

BEATS 1 WITH ZANE LOWE

- Mike says that this is a very diverse record with tons of genres on it
    - No super heavy guitars
    - No screaming on the album

ON AIR WITH RYAN SEACREST

- Mike says the album art was chosen because of the family aspect as the album has a lot to do with that
    Source: Zach Sang Show via Dryft

Stu

Stu Can't be outmatched or outdone

I like his honesty on how kiiara came onto the song and the writing process. It's actually quite interesting

Drytf

Drytf Active Member

Album 'One More Light' confirmed to be released May 19th! It's also a song! Minute: 24:10

Infinity likes this.
    Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

One More Light comes out on May 19. Confirmed!

EDIT: SHINODA PLEASE STOP :cry:
    Can't wait to hear this song.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Cue fanbase bitching because "HEAVY" is poppier and the 'album sounds like that' in 3...2...1....

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

LP's first title track? Awesome.

Slightly bummed if the rest of the album will sound like Heavy, but I guess they said the exact same thing about Burn It Down, so who knows. Ah well. :lol:

EDIT: Lol Derek you got me :lol:

Deliveranze likes this.
    Bane

Bane Together we'll fight the long defeat

Shit, May 19 is ages away. We're in for quite the journey.

Drytf

Drytf Active Member

Apparently they have some surprises up their sleeves.

SkullDevil217

SkullDevil217 Dork Of Ages

Yas! Album title and release date confirmed. :clap:

And don't worry, Derek. I'm sure the usual suspects will be popping up soon. :halfkappa:

ciao_fiv

ciao_fiv We Are Still Humanz

I can't believe we have to wait that long... that means we have to hear people complain about how Heavy sounds for a really long time. feelsbadman

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

May 19th I AM IN LOOOOOVE. I just don't know what I'll do to buy this but I'll try all means possible.

Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

So far away ffs

SkullDevil217

One More Light sounds like it's gonna be full of feels. Also hearing Mike is gonna be singing more than rapping makes me giddy.

Iopia, Avo and Gibs like this.
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

It's actually not that long. I thought the same thing about the release date at first, and then I realized that GATS was released in March for a June album. Same amount of time basically, and that flew by quick.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

They might do the same thing they did with THP and release a third of the album in the months leading up to it.

Twintendo

Twintendo Member

I honestly don't mind the longer than expected release date. For starters it'll give the band a chance to promote the album more and secondly their recent records have been released at a similar time, as their last 2 albums were released in June.

One More Light really sounds like a beautiful song and one I can't wait to hear. The way Mike described it made me think of Final Masquerade's acoustic version. Personally I'd love a song like that on this album!

SkullDevil217

Given how somewhat restrained the marketing seems in comparison to The Hunting Party's marketing so far, I wouldn't be so sure of that yet.

Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

That interview was great, nice to hear Mike being so open and honest and giving so much interesting info. No vague answers or straight batting questions. Loved hearing about the thought process behind the writing as a whole and what inspired Heavy, I have exactly the same where it feels like bad/annoying stuff all seems to happen at once sometimes and how much that can weigh you down.

May 19th is fine, plenty of time for more hype train fun.

I feel One More Light (the song) is going resonate and hit a lot of people hard as I'm pretty sure the majority can relate to that subject.

Very hyped for this.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Well yeah, but the "new album cycle" only officially started, what, two days ago? Hunting Party hype only started when that album was already beginning to drop, not unlike this there wasn't really a ton of marketing or hype besides "visceral" and "intense" or whatever. Now that this has officially started I expect to see a similar slow reveal.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

KATIE VICK.

If you don't watch wrestling, you won't get it.

Great information though. Pumped.

TobinKnowsBest and Joe like this.