Linkin Park - Heavy feat. Kiiara Lyric Video

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Feb 16, 2017.

1. A Wretched King

A Wretched King Foreword

i'll agree if the rest of the record is like Heavy. A decent pop song under 3 minutes wouldn't "ruin" a record for me. I do think the song would have been better with just Chester. But it's such a short song it hits you quick then its gone. I'd be shocked if the rest of the record is like this. I'm expecting more Robot Boys, Little Things, etc..... and we already know we have another acoustic piece.

2. ciao_fiv

ciao_fiv We Are Still Humanz

I love the song! I really enjoyed Kiiara's feature, definitely a highlight. I'm kind of disappointed that the rest of the album doesn't appear to have any other featured artists. I was really hoping to hear Blackbear on a track. Very excited though!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  3. AkirraKrylon

AkirraKrylon LPA VIP LPA VIP

He probably meant the album sounds like Heavy in the frame of the vocals/melody are kinda carrying the songs. Heavy relies a lot on its melody and vocal delivery, the rest of the album probably will do the same. They've been saying that for a few months now too =p

4. iamsatan

iamsatan Well-Known Member

Kiiara sounds so damn good on this, really glad they brought her in, I like the song, already listened to it like 20 times, really curious what the rest of the album sounds like now.

On a side note I wonder if Rick Rubin is like "My boys, they finally did it."

Deliveranze and Broman like this.
  5. AkirraKrylon

With only 10 tracks, I would think there are some tracks with longer length. If we get a ~30 minute record I'd be super disappointed.

Zakksalvo, Vic and Iopia like this.
  6. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

As others have said, this just feels far less... ambitious. I don't have a problem with pop music at all, but there's so little musically to this song IMO. It just feels repetitive. Chordally, the same four block chords are repeated again and again throughout the entire song. There aren't even inversions. Ignoring vocals, rhythmically, the only interesting bit to me is Rob's drumming in the bridge. The production is nice, but nothing really grabs me. The track has no twists or turns.

The track's saving grace IMO is the vocals. There are some bits that get that "pop-star" sound, which isn't really my thing, but most of the time, they sound great. More importantly, the vocal lines are interesting. Take the line at 0:32. The way Chester sings slightly behind the music gives the track that sort of rhythmic variation that was sorely needed IMO. There are other moments like this throughout the track, as I'm sure you've all noticed, where the lyrics are sung slightly out of sync, or in a slightly unexpected pattern. That's interesting! The problem for me unfortunately is that none of the other elements of the song do that for me. Sure, the track has a good dynamic range, which is a definite plus, but the way the same "riff" is repeated throughout the entire song, without holding up for even 30 seconds, really kills the track for me.

The reason why I loved GATS was because it had so many different aspects; the intro riff gave way to the piano riff, repeated immediately after on guitar, which transitioned into the piano and drum backing for the verse, which transitioned into the electro beat behind the first chorus, back to the main riff, etc. Compare that to Heavy, which has one riff repeated ad infinitum. I don't dislike the song, I just find it... uninteresting. As someone else said earlier, GATS made my jaw drop. Heavy is a nice song, but I'd personally argue that even Darker than Blood is far more exciting. To me, the worst reaction I can have to a song is indifference, and that's what I'm feeling now. There's nothing compelling me to listen to it again. This is all super subjective, but for me, Heavy does nothing for me. Just my first impression after 3-4 listens.

I'm seriously glad other people are enjoying it though. The band can't please everyone.

HearTEateR, Vic and Breno9712 like this.
  7. A Wretched King

A Wretched King Foreword

Mike contradicts himself in his own lyrics even.

Alexrednex, RapidGunner and Jovertop like this.
  8. Jovertop

Jovertop Well-Known Member

I know that. It was just a bit confusing for me

9. Noenemy

Noenemy Member

Word. The Catalyst was SO new, strange and different, it just shocked me when I first listened to it, but I quickly realized this stuff is genius and I began to love it after a few more listens. Heavy already annoys me.

Dafuq they do with Chesters voice??!?! This sounds so overproduced and EVERY OTHER BAND could have sang Chesters part. I love change, but this doesn't even feel like Linkin Park anymore. Just another (sorry) trash radio song imo. Kiiara does an awesome job though.

I guess I keep listening to ATS over and over again ...

Reanimate02 and Iopia like this.
  10. Avo

Avo Don't Stop Running

Meh, that's fine if you or anyone else wants another one of those, but I'm sick of hearing soft verse/rapped verse -> prechorus -> loud chorus + power chords -> rinse repeat until we get to the loud bridge and final chorus. Been tired of that for several albums now. This is nothing new in the grand scheme of things, but it is relatively new for them, and I much prefer this to another WID clone.

RapidGunner likes this.
  11. unity7985

unity7985 Well-Known Member

I wonder what other collaborations are on the album.

12. mandylane

mandylane Well-Known Member

there is no other

13. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

You do realize Heavy begins with a soft verse/chorus and then builds energy into a loud bridge/final chorus... right? All that's missing are the power chords.

14. A Wretched King

A Wretched King Foreword

I love ATS and I'm not crazy for Heavy either, but it doesn't make sense to bash the song for being a radio song, but then say you love Kiiara's part. She's the most pop radio friendly part of the song.

15. Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

This is a pile of shit.

Very disappointing. Hoping for better tracks on the album. Not tremendously hopeful by the way it's described.

It's a real shame. At a time where alternative music could do with less pop and more of an edge, one of the marquee bands of the genre decides to go full on pussy mode. It's just one song bit this is the first time I've thought something LP created was so dreadful I wouldn't listen to it.

I know there are those who will love whatever the band do but when Kiiara sings in this track it doesn't even sound like LP to me. It's just the pop shit you get in the charts.

kcg, Moridin and Reanimate02 like this.
  16. unity7985

unity7985 Well-Known Member

Actually there is. Did you watch all the interviews? He named 2 people i dont know.

17. lordblood

lordblood Radiance of a Thousand Suns

Personally, I think it's become pretty clear from LT and THP that ATS will remain Linkin Park's "best" album. It was really out there and different sounding, it was challenging, and ultimately it felt genuine and honest. I think Robot Boy -> Blackout is the best series of songs LP has ever done, and up among my favorite things to listen to all time.

AkirraKrylon likes this.
  18. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Man, the salt in here is enough to preserve an entire country of cow meat.

Please, I need more. My steak ain't gonna season itself.

Also I'm switching my pool from chlorine to salt water, your help there would be greatly appreciated.

19. AkirraKrylon

I mean, I see a lot of people bringing up legitimate gripes that don't revolve around "screamz? guitarz? rapping!?"

I see more people asking for ATS-esque material than anything else. I don't think they're wrong for voicing that.

HearTEateR and Iopia like this.
  20. XI_Zerox_IX

XI_Zerox_IX Well-Known Member

Honest opinion? Heavy is one of the worst songs they have ever made (imo...). Strange feeling, knowing that they went from masterpieces like In The End, BITS, Numb, Blackout (and many more) to... this.

Reanimate02 likes this.