Linkin Park - Heavy feat. Kiiara Lyric Video

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I would say you rather sound like making bad advertising for a record you personnaly don't like, but maybe I'm just bitter. The record is not perfect by any means, but...

First off, THP is probably the least "famous" LP record. A lot of people don't even know it actually exist.

Second, as far as professional critics are concerned, it's actually one of, if not the most, praised LP record.

Third, I could pinpoint a few places where people are talking pretty good about it, outside of LPA. But I'm lazy.

Dayz likes this.
  2. Noosh

Noosh Well-Known Member

Linkin Park has always challenged fans with new styles but the issue this time is that Heavy sounds almost alien compared to their other lead singles. Alot of their other lead singles in the past have maintained the typical LP sound while adding new twists to it. Heavy doesn't keep the typical sound outside of the rhythm and Chester's vocals and it's jarring as a result.

Dayz likes this.
  3. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

Narc85 and Blake like this.
  4. Non-Pattern

Non-Pattern You’re about as sharp as a bowling ball

This is the most surprising thing I have come across, the fact that THP isn't "universally" loved by fans. Of course there will be people who dislike it, but my impression is that it was relatively successful, judging by the reactions of live shows whenever they play the songs from that album.

I feel comments like Blake is somewhat why people with differing/dissenting views are uncomfortable for them to voice out here, as it seems condescending and "narrow-minded" as someone said earlier. And vice versa.

5. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Well, you see, fans claimed they wanted guitars and screaming. LP obliged with "The Hunting Party", but, then, the fans suddenly didn't want guitars and screaming

but, now, they want guitars and screaming again. :sleep:

By itself, this is 100% correct.

Mitch, Bane and Sasuke like this.
  6. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

But, what do YOU think about the song?

7. zayl

zayl Friendly neighbor revenge seeking vigilante

I'm totally in the mood for such music lately, I approach this song as a stand alone production, not the Linkin Park's track, i am not taking it with the package of experience gained through the listening the 6 previous albums and:

As much I like the idea and the lyrics it's just seems that even in the pop genre there are just plenty of songs that are much more individual than this. the song is ok, it's just a little bit too generic. I like it but it's not the 100% love, it's rather a 65% sympathy.

You find such songs on tidal/apple music/spotify via suggestions and listen to them, pretty enjoy them and then forget them after some time - it would be like that if it was a solo Kiiara song (what's funny I think that it would sound better if Chester wouldn't have his vocal parts in it - he seems to miss the mood of this sing). I think the name of Linkin Park will act as a constant reminder but the song just doesn't defend itself in other ways.

And I would like to add that Mike saying harsh things about disney pop bands and making the disney pop his next step seems "a little" hipoctitical of him. Moreover, ok he's the producer of this record? and he doesn't give a damn if band members will have anything to do during these songs? (i predict it from his interview e.g.) well.. i always thought that as much as he is brave to experiment with his music I really believe that he should create some side project to execute his ideas - i mean, I know that he loves the electric sounds, pop, tries to sing but making the band doing this does not really convince me that they are evolving. Living Things, ATS even some parts of THP for my love or hate emanated with the need of experiments. This? this emanates with the need of sales and pop charts.

I like the song though, for this mentioned 65%.

sorry for my bad english.

8. minuteforce

Even if Shinoda does all the heavy lifting in the production process, the rest of the band members would still be giving their input some way or another.

9. frezer86

frezer86 Active Member

Randomly checked new song from Nickelback and to my big surprise they're now heavier than Linkin Park is with their 'Heavy' :lol: Who would have thought

NikoLpSoldier likes this.
  10. minuteforce

Do they have a song that's actually called "Heavy", though? I think not :cool:

Michele likes this.
  11. InStereo

InStereo Well-Known Member

I am devastated. I've been a fan since day one, there were singles I liked more than others, I always loved the fact that they keep changing.. but this is song is so bad. There has always been something special about their songwriting, their productions. With every song you had something that would seperate them from anything else but this is just so generic.

If you go for a trap rhythm in the second verse why don't you do something special with it? Like a distorted snare, backwards hi-hat, a fucking cowbell? They could pull of something poppy but at least strive for special sounds. This sounds like a trap kit you would download from native instruments for 40 $ but not like something that was crafted by someone who created beats like "Until it breaks" or "Wretches and Kings"... They always had their distinct sounds nobody else would have but I do not see it here. Not at all!
    Not even Burn it Down left me so disappointed. I can easily see them getting booed off the stage playing this song at Rock am Ring.

I like the vocal delivery though.. but that's it.

12. NikoLpSoldier

NikoLpSoldier Daimonas

I hope that the rest of the album won't be that generic in terms of structure and chord progression. I still expect the unexpected! I probably won't be listening to "Heavy" anymore aside from the one time I'm gonna play the whole album from start to finish when I have the CD.

I wish they'd still make heavy music - you can make heavy music without releasing the same album over and over again inb4 this comes up. I think it's okay that this album is going to be a pop album (most likely) because THP was a metal record, I hope that they'll go back to heavy after this one though (or at least mix it with soft stuff)

One reason why I've always loved LP was because they are able to pull of that 50% heavy and 50% soft/melodic feel - now it's basically 100% soft

13. minuteforce

If it's any consolation to all you disappointed people who thought this new single would be something dark and br00tal or w/ever, I'm pretty certain the next record will veer away from how "One More Light" sounds. It's a thing that seems to happen with this band, I've noticed :)

So just wait 2-3 more years.

EDIT:
    As someone phrased it elsewhere, you've likely hit your "LP wall" because they've finally gone somewhere stylistically as artists where you can't quite follow them. You're probably gonna go through stages of grief or something

It almost happened to me with "The Hunting Party", not because of the album's sound but because Shinoda was an arrogant jerk during its promotion and I didn't feel I could support that

Brandon likes this.
  14. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I really don't know.

I guess I'd even have belong to those "guitars!!!screams!!" fans at some point, but I'm actually pretty satisfied with THP now. For what I care, they could never include those elements in their music again, and I'd be fine.

On the other side, I'm honestly not the biggest fan of them experimenting.... in that direction. I mean, "Heavy" sounds like the kind of stuff I'd hear in Mcdonald toilets or any random H&M. It's just pretty undistinctive from any current charting stuff, and it might be the first time I'd call their stuff "generic". I actually found the Aoki collabs more interesting. I guess I'm biased, but yeah.

Dayz and Brandon like this.
  15. InStereo

I actually thought (hoped) this single would be something good.

Reanimate02 likes this.
  16. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Plottwist: After OML they decide to stick with the sound :kappa:

17. minuteforce

Well, here, "good" is really relative to the person. The style of a song is something that's easier to define clearly

18. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

19. Reanimate02

Reanimate02 Well-Known Member

InStereo likes this.
  20. InStereo

Okay, I will adjust it: I expected the song would be considered as "good" by me. (I do not care about genre at all).