HEAVY - Opinion Poll

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by linkinloch, Feb 17, 2017.

?

HEAVY - Opinion Poll

Poll closed Feb 24, 2017.
  1. 5/5 - I loved it! Surely one of their best songs.

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. 4/5 - They've done better but still awesome.

32 vote(s)
    32.3%
  3. 3/5 - I liked it, however I have mixed feelings about this.

40 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. 2/5 - Sounds weak and generic. Not really interested.

12 vote(s)
    12.1%
  5. 1/5 - Horrible and totally forgettable.

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. 0/5 - By far, the biggest let down Linkin Park ever gave me.

8 vote(s)
    8.1%
    linkinloch

linkinloch Well-Known Member

Self-explained thread. Just give your honest opinion about "Heavy" and let's see, statistically saying , how polarizing the song is right after it came out here on the LPA!

Just adding my opinion. I liked the song and it's really catchy for me. However, it sounds way too pop, generic and short to have being given the responsability of being their lead single. So I'll go for an average 3/5 rating.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    AThousandLivingTheories

AThousandLivingTheories Mark The Graves

I had posted a review here. It's got what I think are the pros and cons of the song. I rated the song 7.5/10.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

This song would be worse without Kiiara

The mixing is great, it's crisp, precise, clean.

I love the crackling vinyl sound during the verses, gives it a warm feeling and sounds super nice.

The transition from Chester to Kiiara is the best part.

It got boring super quickly.

Better than Burn It Down though.

hasbino likes this.
    Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

What I've Done Shit/10

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Didn't blow me away but it's not bad at all. Love Kiiara. The chorus is great.

Dragondust likes this.
    Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

Just looking at various websites and YouTube, it's one of the most unfavorable/lukewarm receptions to an LP song to date. I don't recall even "Burn it Down" being this unliked.

Even though a lot of it is hyperbolic, I understand some of the sentiments. I don't dislike the song and I was more impressed by Kiiara than Chester. The instrumental doesn't really lead anywhere and ends abruptly, lyrics are not impressive, quality of Chester's performance is debatable, Kiiara is the only takeaway. She is the best part of the song. It's a decent song, but forgettable within the already oversaturated pop landscape (not to mention hilariously hypocritical when looking back at how they felt just 3 years ago). Forgettable isn't something you want from a band this late into their career.

The band have been and are much more capable than this (Waiting for the End is how you do a pop rock song right), and I hope the next single and rest of the album represents that. I'm much more looking forward to hearing Mike sing, honestly.

Breno9712 and hasbino like this.
    Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Meh. Catchy though.

Kiiara did pretty good.

Noosh

Noosh Well-Known Member

After a few more listens, this song definitely sounds weaker. Love the rhythm and the chord progression but there's not enough actual instruments going on and Chester gets drowned out alot of the time.

Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Great song, nuff said.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

I like it the more and more each time I listen to it. Not on The Catalyst or GATS level but otherwise their best first single IMO. Burn It Down is comparable a much more generic LP song. While this song is ultra timely and poppy it has a lot of layers in the production and Kiaara's vocals add a new feeling to their sound. It's radio pop on crack and I love how different it is for LP.
    Lyrically, it is a step backwards(but so was THP sometimes), but I do enjoy its sentiment and the feeings it evokes.

With that said, I hope the album version is 30 seconds to a minute longer because I actually really like the instrumentation - I just want it to have a bit more time to breath.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Stu

Stu Can't be outmatched or outdone

They've done better for sure but it's really not a bad song in comparison to what they've done over their whole discography

Austin Vicenty

Austin Vicenty No Longer Active

I like the song. I had it on replay all day yesterday and it's been stuck in my head for the last week. I can't say it's the best first single they have ever put out but I also can't say it's the worst. I was surprised by how different it sounded once I heard the real thing yesterday and surprised is the exact reaction I want from the band on this new record. I'd rate this track a 3/5 Im hella sure the rest of the record is going to be really good. Patience

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I voted 1/5 but it's really more a 1.5. It's not "just generic", but it's not "WHAT THE FUCK AH MY EARS ARE BLEEDING!!!" either.

It's just bad. Not "not interesting", not "horrible", just bad.

Brandon likes this.
    Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

Great song. One of their best? Not a chance. But I like the direction it's going.

I think another thing that throws me off about this song is that Chester's vocals are very raw and rough, which is awesome, but Kiiara's vocals are all very polished sounding. They don't seem to mix very well together. Both are good, but in the same song it sounds a bit disjointed.

Honestly the song is fine though. I've been digging it on repeat for the last day now.

mandylane

mandylane Well-Known Member

yeh its a great vocal rock song

Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

I really like it. It's catchy, the vocals sound great and I like the atmosphere of the song. Much better lead single then Burn it Down, Until It's Gone and Somewhere I Belong imo.

It's true that it has got a lot of negative responses. But it has also got positive ones too. After one day the official lyric video has nearly as many likes (just under 110k) as the lyric videos for GATS and UIG have managed in 3 years.

Alexrednex likes this.
    BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

'

That's that kiiara attention!

For me the appeal of this song is just that it's new ground for LP. The chorus feels like a classic LP chorus, but the verse melodies are pretty cool for them I think. They move in ways that just feel different from what I've heard from them before, so that's pretty cool. I do hope there's a lot of variation on the album though, and longer songs.

Alexrednex, brady and Deliveranze like this.
    mandylane

mandylane Well-Known Member

i think the rest of the songs will be a surprise

Princess Neptune

Princess Neptune Mike Shinoda ft. Linkin Park

IDK fam, the lyrics actually didn't seem so bad to me TBH. I mean, A Thousand Suns it ain't but it at least manages to get around MTM level. Here's hoping the rest of the album is even better lyrics-wise.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

On this scale, I'd give it a 3.5, but I'll pick 3. I really enjoy the song simply because it's really easy for me to enjoy, but I'm not sure I'd describe it as "awesome". :)

polleo likes this.