Linkin Park - Heavy feat. Kiiara Lyric Video

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I don't believe anybody is saying that, at all.

If you're referring to my earlier post, yes...I do believe it's a tad overkill for people to accuse the band of having no integrity because they don't like the music the band has written.

2. rocker94

rocker94 Well-Known Member

Guys, what do you think about the fact that there were another's persons to write the lyrics of most of the songs? For me, this is annoying...

3. Derek

It should be made clear that the band didn't have other people 'write' the songs, they had outside assistance from other people to help write the songs. It may sound like the same thing, but it's completely different. The band still wrote their lyrics, but they had other writers help get the lyrics to a point they were happy with. It's actually something many artists do, although it's far more common in pop than it is in rock. It wasn't a case that someone came in with a song they completely wrote and the band just sung it. No way.

Sasuke likes this.
  4. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

To add on that, and the entire notion that the band threw out all artistic integrity: they've said so many times now that these lyrics are some of the most honest and personal they've written. Every interview talks about them coming into the studio and talking with people in very open and genuine ways, with lyrics being written about those experiences. The style of the song may have some people feeling like they're writing things that will simply get them airtime, but unless Mike and Chester have been talking out of their butts this cycle so far, then I think it's fair to say that Heavy is a very genuine song for the band. At least lyrically.

minuteforce likes this.
  5. InStereo

InStereo Well-Known Member

If you're referring to my earlier post, no...I think that the band is losing integrity because of the statements during the THP-cycle and the fact that releasing the new single while working with these songwriters is hypocritical because of that. It's not because I did not like the song itself.

Dayz likes this.
  6. Joshua

Joshua is Mr. "to many Mind"

I can remember all the hate against M2M with corresponding comments like: "sell-outs", "they lost their uniqueness", "they sound like a ordinary boyband now", "they sound like U2". In fact, Linkin Park never invented something new, neither Nu Metal nor other genres. Neither "Hybrid Theory" nor "Minutes To Midnight" & "A Thousand Suns" were something new, at most in their own context. All records - independent which one - stands for catchiness, poppy melodies and escalating chorus - they are like a seal.
    And this seal can also be find on "Heavy" clearly. Just the genre changed.

To cut a long story short, when people compare LP with any other artists, then they will always find things to blame, things that other artists can do better. In general, i try to see any artists (and especially LP) as individuals and that help me focusing on that particular song and album better.

One short addition: Personally, i think appreciation to everything what LP gave us over the years is important. Everyone here surely feels joyful hearing certain LP songs and this will help us to be thankful and not to be harsh and force them to something what we might want, but not what they want. That would be egoistic.

minuteforce likes this.
  7. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I would love for Linkin Park to become a boy band :D

So if a song is good, why does it matter who released it?

Good music IS good music.

That would be like me refusing to listen to Sorry because it came out by Justin Bieber or refusing to listen to Party in the USA because it came out by Miley Cyrus. Both amazing songs.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Sasuke likes this.
  8. Tocaraca

Tocaraca A part of me screams away silently

AND PEOPLE THOUGHT LIVING THINGS WAS BAD?!?!? I CAN'T FUCKING BELIEVE THIS. RIP LINKIN PARK. I'M JUST HOPING WITH EVERYTHING THAT THE REST OF THE ALBUM ISN'T THIS MAINSTREAM POP SHIT.

9. snowblue

snowblue You know the blue snow?

Wait a minute. On iTunes, as you surely have reported, there are no more features on "One More Light". Is it this way, or they may be "added" later on? Thought this album were gonna be full of features.

10. UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

There is nothing wrong with pop music. I would even contend that writing a good pop song is way harder than what a lot of people think.

And yes, it's 2017 and Bieber's music is the polar opposite of laughing stock now. He's doing great.

still a better single than burn it down

minuteforce likes this.
  11. Derek

*Hands you a paper bag* Take a couple slow, deep breaths. It'll be okay man.

12. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

But it shouldn't

13. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I think what singles out "Heavy" from their previous records is that, for the first time in a long time, the band's really enjoying and having a lot of fun with the creative process. The band's clearly extremely happy about the record and its sounds, and the lyrics-first approach definitely hit a personal note to it. The band's recent email kinda shows it.

While ATS was an obsessive experience, LT was trying to blend old and new together, and THP was their obligation to make a rock record worthy of their liking. With OML, however, I've never seen so much heartfelt expressions from the band, and the email and tweets consists of them profusely thanking us for listening to the record. It's as if it's a labor of love that never stressed them out. Heck, even their promo picture is the band's first happy promo picture.

Sure, it's a pop song that isn't far from the radio hits of today, but for once it's a song not about forced teenage angst but what they're experiencing right now. And for me, that's honest, and that's exciting.

14. ciao_fiv

ciao_fiv We Are Still Humanz

I really would love to hear this! Especially if they did it with most songs featuring Kiiara, cause she was really good in that stream, I loved her on Burn It Down. Maybe one day!

15. ciao_fiv

Guest vocalists come on before Damn Albarn in many Gorillaz songs, and many of those songs don't have Albarn singing at all. So it's not that odd!

16. Dusty

Dusty LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

It keeps growing me with each listen. The song has hit me on a personal level when it comes to current events with my life.

I'm really curious how the song fits with the context of the full album.

17. Private Donut

Private Donut Well-Known Member

I've waited a day to type down how I feel about this song. As far as album opening singles (the actual term is eluding me right now) are concerned I find this to be the weakest of the bunch. I can't include HT in on that group since I came into the LP fold when Crawling became a hit. Heavy requires a longer opening, and the way it is sung doesn't mesh well at all, at the beginning I should add. In my opinion it is written poorly. It's one thing to write poetry, but flow is important when it comes to song. And this song doesn't have that until the chorus kicks in and when Kiiara gets a chance to sing. Which is probably this songs' saving grace. The lyrics are generic and while they might have meaning for LP, they aren't exactly deep. That being said, the song is catchy once the chorus kicks in. I had the song stuck in my head for most of the afternoon. And I can say that it has a good chance of being a pop station hit for a while. I, however, do not have much of an inclination to buy or listen to this song until the album hits in May. This song (and the fact that it's only a 10 track album) may have put a damper in my expectations but I will still buy OML when it comes out as any fan would. I might just have to "expect the unexpected."

Dayz likes this.
  18. Derek

“We’re still growing. We’re not stagnant at all. We’re not going to make the same album every time, so don’t even expect it. We lost fans along the way intentionally,” he told host Ricky Camilleri. “We intentionally let them go. We said, ‘If that’s all you guys want to listen to, we made two albums for you. You’ve got those two albums and you can always listen to those. If you decide to come along for the ride, though, the good news is that there’s going to be a lot of fun surprises.” - Mike Shinoda

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/20/linkin-park-mike-shinoda_n_5696291.html

From the last album cycle, but still applies. I'm sorry to say it, but I don't think they're worried about losing fans here :shrug:. They make the music THEY want to make, even if it's what you deem to be 'mainstream pop garbage'.

19. ciao_fiv

People like you make me really wish I didn't find this forum. At least some people are being respectful about their opinions. You're just an asshole.

Captain-EO likes this.
  20. Meteorain

Meteorain Well-Known Member

I agree with pretty much all of this, up to and including the YouTube/Facebook idiocracy being brought here is super unnecessary.

I had the same thoughts that it's her voice that's really driving up the "pop" effect, so I hope that, since she's young, Mike and others in the band kind of gave her the heads up they have a dedicated fanbase who's hard to please, and some who don't like this song may blame her for it. Not that that would be fair, she does what she's asked and she does it well, but hey, the world isn't fair.