Linkin Park - Heavy feat. Kiiara Lyric Video

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Stu

Stu Can't be outmatched or outdone

They go and do a Random Access Memories esque album. Now that would be one hell of a ride just to watch the reaction

2. hybrid1988

hybrid1988 Fever Daydream

I would love an album like that

3. A Wretched King

A Wretched King Foreword

The instrumentation of Heavy isn't terrible. It's the lyrics and vocals that make me scratch my head. Did LP just get lazy? Or were they just faking their anti-radio, anti-label agenda during the ATS days?

I don't think you have a real strong understanding of the relationship between record companies and artists. The artists work for the company. The company has the last say. Everything is about money/branding. I've been fans of bands that have had complete fallouts with their record company. Just the way the world works. We already know for a fact WB puts deadlines for songs to be finished. They're managing these artists, understandably so, it IS a lot of work, I get that. It's when they butt in enough to strip creativity and outside the box thinking that pisses people off. Music should not be tampered with in those instances. You see it a lot these days with movies and shows even. Not to trigger you, but do you really think the Ghostbusters remake was unique, creative, inspiring, or even at the same level as the original one?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  4. Reanimate02

Reanimate02 Well-Known Member

#OMG it isn't 2003 anymore you stupid metalhead!! :timothy:

Listen...

I love Minutes To Midnight and ATS, I liked most of Living Things.. I thought The Hunting Party was a step in the right direction.

So just because I hate the color green, it doesn't mean I love the color red. Okay?

Stop labelling anyone who doesn't like anything from the "new" Linkin Park as a 2003 Meteora metalhead.. it's so childish. Reminds me of those who label anyone who even remotely agrees with Trump as nazi, KKK members and so on. Ugh.

It's a lame way of debating stuff, and a few of you have been doing it since ATS came out now.. it isn't constructive in any way. You enable the band to do whatever they want basically.

The people who do that all deserve a co-producer credit on "Heavy"

No, i'm not "done" with the band and I don't think they're dead..

Yet.

But I truly hope the whole thing is a joke, and Mike's trolling with his comments.

That's all I have to say... one more chance LP.

5. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Okay, but the only official word you have on this matter at all is Shinoda saying the label doesn't stop the band from doing what they want to do, full-stop.

You could, of course, just be cynical and assume he was lying, but, then, where does that end?

Iopia likes this.
  6. Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. Orange Box Nerd

Orange Box Nerd Drop the Keys to the Kingdom

I have to say, my opinion about this song has changed for the better!
    At first i guess i was a bit shellshocked at how different the song sounded that i just instinctively hated it. But now that i've had the time to hear it a few times, I really do enjoy this song. The chorus is catchy and fun, and Kiiara was a nice addition to the song! Final verdict: 7.5/10

8. Stu

Stu Can't be outmatched or outdone

LP8 needs Shinoda Screaming

9. A Wretched King

A Wretched King Foreword

Reanimate02 likes this.
  10. zazofazo

zazofazo Well-Known Member

You know what , you contradict yourself with this video
    Does anybody want or ask to hear pop songs from linkin park ? The answer is no.
    And that's exactly what A thousand suns's about .
    It's not like ATS was vastly different from any release but it's different for linkin park , yes linkin park only not any other band.
    Do you actually think they care about charts ? They are worth 20+ million dude , it's not like they are going through financial crisis or anything .
    They like pop music nowadays and that was clear from shinoda playlist and If you like something you should do it .
    The point that you made something just to satisfy people is the moment you sell out .
    The moment that you think you are obliged to do something for someone as musician is the death of your creativity and integrity as well .

11. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

What evidence is there that "Warner" made them make Meteora HT2? or they made Minutes what it was? Why do you think ATS was a middle finger to them, or that Living Things was them being 'reigned in' by the label? Whose idea was Hunting Party? They had been nearly a decade away from being a 'hard rock band' by that point, did Warner meddling make them go back to it? Or were they going against their advice, hence Shinoda's (ridiculous in hindsight) rant about pop-rock and Disney music?

Where does Warner end and Mike and friends begin? And what's your evidence for any of it?

Just a heads up, people who say this are almost always the people getting overtly upset, never the calm and rational people upsetting other people.

12. Taranis

Taranis New Member

Sigh. I'd consider this trash if it were by any other artist and so I guess it's time to let go of the blind loyalty i've apparently carried to the band over the years. This is not experimental, it is not inventive - this is pure mainstream pop. Bland, predictable. Kiiara ft. Chester Bennington would be a more apt title. If anything, it sounds like a particularly poor Fort Minor B-side. While I can continue to admire them for creating music they themselves enjoy, I must respectfully decline and climb off the LP train. They've never been the most talented musicians but they are capable of so much more than this. Saddening.

Reanimate02 likes this.
  13. minuteforce

Okay, I've seen a lot of stupid comparisons and whatnot just in this thread alone ... but this probably wins as the most ridiculous one so far. :mellow:

TobinKnowsBest likes this.
  14. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

The thing is, we almost know for a fact that the label isn't the one pushing this. If the label was imposing such severe deadlines, we would've gotten an album 18-24 months after The Hunting Party, not almost 3 years later. Secondly, we would've never gotten MTM, ATS or THP is the band wasn't given creative freedom. Thirdly, Mike has explicitly stated that they're given the freedom to do whatever they want, whenever they want, by the label. Given how openly they've talked about being mistreated during the making of their first two albums, I don't think he has any reason to lie about that. It's simply not in WB's interest to piss off their biggest bands. If the band felt that the label were forcing them to write music that they don't want to write, they'd jump ship in a heartbeat. Any label they want would take them.

Look, not to sound rude, but it annoys me that people can't take the fact that a band they love simply wrote a song that's not for them. I don't love Heavy either, but I'm absolutely confident that Mike & Co. are releasing the music they want to release right now. It's just too easy to blame the boogeyman (the label) instead of realising that if a band writes a bad album (not talking about Heavy/OML here, just talking in general), then simply put, the band just wrote a bad album. You can't blame the label for that. It's the band's problem for, well, writing a bad album. It's like people don't want to admit that their favourite band is capable of writing something that doesn't live up to their expectations, even when given all the creative freedom in the world.

Basically, if this album does end up being a collection of songs as simple as Heavy, I'll be more than happy to express my disappointment in the music that the band wrote and released. I'll be more than happy to say that in my opinion, the songs are lazy, and that the band didn't work hard enough in pushing themselves to make something truly special. But those are criticisms of the band and their album. I'm not going to act as if the band would've done something more creative if they hadn't been signed to Warner. Experimental songs are far more stressful and difficult to write than simpler songs (for example, look at the making of ATS vs. the making of LT), so there are hundreds of reasons why a band might opt to go down a simpler route. Doesn't mean I agree with the decision, but assuming that it's because of pressure from the label when the real reason could be anything from a genuine interest in that style of music to simple laziness, doesn't make much sense to me. Label pressure would be one of the least likely causes, for the reasons laid out in my first paragraph, IMO.

15. Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

Erm, what?

In my opinion it really doesn't. At all. Top marks for originality though. At least you didn't mention Bieber.

16. Reanimate02

Reanimate02 Well-Known Member

For those who are interested.. i'll break down some things which may clarify why LP made this track, with my industry knowledge and whatnot.

Linkin Park have been one of Warner's most financially successful artists since 2001.. and they're a pretty self-managed band. LP threatened to leave the label at one point because they were being underpaid.. they issued a demand to be released in 2005. Warner scrambled and offered them a better deal, for five more albums. http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/60248/linkin-park-inks-new-deal-with-warner

I would say Linkin Park have 70-80% control. However, the reason this is SOOOOOO shamelessly poppy.. is probably due to Mike promising the label something which would shift units. The Hunting Party wasn't very accessible to people outside the fan base.

Linkin Park are coming to the end of their contract (if that article is still accurate) and don't want to lose access to the NRG studio and everything else Warner gives them. The studio costs hundreds/thousands of dollars an hour to rent out to the average artist.

Personally i'd like the band to go independent once the contract is up, build their own studio for a million or two.. then rent it out to other bands when they're not using it.

MAYBE Mike is trying to cash in on the promotion opportunies Warner Bros' is giving them before they leave. Maybe Mike is sucking up to the label so they'll be offered a new deal. Maybe LP already extended their deal a couple of years ago.. who knows.

But the band did let the business side interfere with the music this time, and they are responsible for Heavy at the end of the day.

17. A Wretched King

A Wretched King Foreword

The past few years the band went from ATS to having Kiiara sing, and Julia Michaels, and Justin Tranter co-write songs/lyrics for them. What happened? There's nothing polarizing or risky about Heavy at all. If it's not a "sell out" song then it's definitely an uninspired, lazy song. Hopefully it's the only song on the record they duct taped together because I really like the sentiments of this record. Really good time for it, too, I think.

I seriously wouldn't be surprised if the label was like "can we have at least 1 pop radio song featuring a current popular guest?". Also, I do not believe the vocals for "Heavy" was Joe's idea. That video gave me a really fake and phony feeling.... as in ("hey joe we need another clip for YouTube. Quickly mention to the band you think the song needs guest female vocals. Thanks. Aaaand action!".

18. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Man this is reaching way too hard.

This is just music the band wants to make. Period.

Blake, brady and Iopia like this.
  19. minuteforce

This is the same kind of thing that was said between "Meteora" and "Minutes To Midnight", and, then, "Midnight" and "A Thousand Suns".
    Have you read this thread? It's pretty fucking polarising

And it's fine to have the opinion that the song sounds uninspired or lazy to you from a songwriting standpoint, we can probably let that just be subjective ... but I think saying that they definitely "sold out" here is conjecture and nothing more. People are mainly saying this because the song's not to their taste, I find.

Iopia likes this.
  20. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I've said this before, and I know others have too, but the way Heavy sounds isn't much different than some of their other songs. The vocals from Chester and Kiiara make this sound different.

Blake and Sasuke like this.