Mike Shinoda Discusses New Linkin Park Album 'One More Light' in Interviews - Media Roundup & Recaps

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Most of my time here? You've seen my posts for the last 13 years?

I am enjoying it, and I respect other people's opinions, but the constant whining is something else.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  2. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Melodic vocals over screaming anyday!

Forfeit to Break likes this.
  3. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I would love MTM vocals, soft melodic singing and then maybe one song like Given Up. But I'm fine without screaming too.

MTM is sooooo good and this album feels somewhat like a MTM part 2, so I'm hyped :D

Deliveranze and Forfeit to Break like this.
  4. Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

Mike didn't talk about pop music. He criticised so called rock music that gets played on rock stations.

Heavy is not rock, it doesn't even pretend to be rock.

I agree Mike could be accused of being hypocritical at the time though given they'd just put out Living Things, Recharged and 2 songs with Steve Aoki.

I don't think putting this album out is hypocritical though.

Chris loves LP likes this.
  5. James11693

James11693 Member

Hey guys! New here. Loving the new song and can't wait for the album. Does anyone know what Mike meant by playing venues that aren't full live shows? Does that exclude outdoor concert venues? like with a 12-15,000 capacity?

6. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

They're gonna surprise nu-metal fans at their homes, perform "Heavy" in their living rooms and, then, leave without a word.

Occasionally, the might also do an encore where they play a special educational song they wrote to help explain the concept of change.

Forfeit to Break likes this.
  7. The_Hands47

The_Hands47 Active Member

Not sure why people keep saying they were hating on pop and rock. During THP promo he repeatedly said he was craving heavy rock music, but would never hear it on the radio at the time, which led him to want to make heavier rock music. Yeah he shouldn't have called it "commercial Disney music", but he is actually a fan of those artists he listed

8. Dan-e-o

Dan-e-o Member

Mike has gone on Zach Sang and Ryan Seacrest radio shows to promote the album. Those radios show are more pop based shows...that really concerns me. To clearly state I'm not one of those fans that hope every record is HT, thats not the case. I like all their albums so far. All of us like LP because of mixing of music. what got me into LP was the hip hop side of them. I lean towards more hip hop, even though I listen a lot of metal and punk. I don't mind mixing genres, if they wanted to do a funk-rock song or reggae song, I'm all for it. but is something to the "Pop" kind of bums me out.

However, Heavy is a good song, good production.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  9. minuteforce

There's nothing concerning about that to me, they're getting the word out to audiences, old and new, that the song and album might appeal to.

10. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

So the song isn't some deep ode to depression then? Are we allowed to think the lyrics suck without being made to feel bad now?

11. minuteforce

It's not strictly one thing. Linkin Park lyrics are pretty broad and vague, and "Heavy" is no exception.

12. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I realize that, but interpreting the song's lyrics as about depression means lines like "if I just let go I'd be set free" and "there's comfort in the panic" also have to be about depression. Which would be troubling and totally inaccurate.

13. minuteforce

Well, I don't interpret it to be about depression, personally, but, if you do, that's whatever.